Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia NUBM34T 115W 455nm

What do you mean by 63mm? If separation between 1st and 6th beam is 14mm, then to my eye the edges already touch each other at 31mm from surface (where number 125 is on the scale).
Was this divergence image done with ou without gang lens?

Edit: OK, I see it was raw output with gang lens removed.

OK....Why can we not collapse the 24 LD array...as was done in the pic attached showing a group of Red beams ??? A simple set Galilean Telescope optics. OK...we are not correcting the stigmatic geometry of each individual diode !! So what !!! For our application.....a grouping of 24 overlapping Astigmatic geometries...
"Close enough for Jazz"....and a big fat 100W beam !!! MMMMM ??? Or....Am barking up the wrong Propagation Path ???? HAHAHA

CDBeam

Attachments

• Telescope Red 1.jpg
    Telescope Red 1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 30
  • opticalraytracer_Galilean Telescope.png
    opticalraytracer_Galilean Telescope.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Two (2) Lens Galilean Telescope.jpg
    Two (2) Lens Galilean Telescope.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 25
Hi Bob,

It would help if you show the dimentions of telescope which you think would work. I was thinking to put cylindricals in front of Osram chip. The problem was that Thor did not have cylindricals big enough for such purpose. And LD raws looking at sightly different directions.

On my sketch you saw dimentions, right?

If using only a telescope with a long range beam being the goal I suppose you would want to use 24 of the longest FL lenses possible and a long telescope but won't the aggressive uneven divergence of each beam cause breakout in reasonably short distance ?

But if a big zoomable spotlight was the goal .........

I am tempted to buy one of these moving head units and swap the leds for the laser bank, with 24 long FL lenses.

Do not be lazy guys!
Show all you approaches to be understandable for an engineer - with all optomechanics, holders, adjustment capabilities, dimentions... Not just spot shape. Do we speak about patents and hide details here?

And... after knife edging will the fast axis divergence will be tamed? I doubt it!

Last year I bought and dismanteled one of these cheap U-king moving heads. Thinking to use it for my 4 LD combiner. It was rated at seemingly crazy wattage (70W) but had power board inside only capable of 24-36W. First time it was able to deliver 18V 4.5A my device took but then quickly burnt out!

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04 4.5A.jpg05 18V.jpg

Last edited:

tedcs

Do not be lazy guys!
Show all your approaches to be understandable for an engineer
[...]
Do we speak about patents and hide details here? I doubt it!

Oh, fie fie! Certainly not.
It takes time to figure out which ideas are naive and useless.
This stuff just arrived from the aether and is not even half baked.
Perhaps a few more lenses are necessary, nothing fancy.
There are still bridges to burn – just have not arrived at them yet.

And... after knife edging will the fast axis divergence will be tamed? I doubt it!

Certainly not!!

Last year I bought and dismantled one of these cheap moving heads.
Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 4.24.15 PM.png

What the Hell is that thing? Can it make an omelette?

Half-assed details will posted as available.
p.s. Most patents ain't worth a whole lot, but are expensive, I knows 'bout them things.

Last edited:

tedcs

If using only a telescope with a long range beam being the goal I suppose you would want to use 24 of the longest FL lenses possible and a long telescope but won't the aggressive uneven divergence of each beam cause breakout in reasonably short distance ?

But if a big zoomable spotlight was the goal .........

I am tempted to buy one of these moving head units and swap the leds for the laser bank, with 24 long FL lenses.
youtube: 6SN9Ddiz57Q
I hate beam breakout.
The whole idea makes me break out in a cold sweat!
That projector is a very cool device, I bet it's cheap too ... NOT
Is there a source for info on what is inside?
Re: The goal, something half way useful which is so simple that a cave man can do it.
Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 5.27.00 PM.png

OK...U'z guys confuse me...it happens !!!....SO...what would be the outcome.... the 24 LD array ...per tedcs....has a Nearfield footptint of 14mm x 18mm....OK....I would take a SWAG.....25.4 mm Dia Convex lenses....MMMMmmmm 75mm F.L. ????? Bet we could locate surplus.....cheap !!!

To those of you who have popped for the expensive array.....Hey.....for 20 or 30 bucks....try the Telescope set up.

As "Dr Fraunk N Steeen " would say.....
" It Could Work " !!!! I look at the Red array....BUT THEN....Those beams start out fairly X=Y divergent... But...well so what... See the Venn Diagram below !!! SO ....so what....

row 1 thru 4 bleed into
row 5 thru 8 bleed into
row 9 thru 12 bleed into
row 13 thru 16 bleed into
row 17 thru 20 bleed into
row 21 thru 24

The Telescope optics combine the array's divergent behavior/nature.....and perhaps....we derive a somewhat solid looking compound set of beamlets !!!
Dunno....Easy enough to try !!! I am either right....or sadly very wrong !!! Good Hunting !!

CDBeam

Attachments

• Venn Diagram.jpg
    Venn Diagram.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 4

tedcs

OK...U'z guys confuse me...it happens !!!....SO...what would be the outcome.... the 24 LD array ...per tedcs....has a Nearfield footptint of 14mm x 18mm....OK....I would take a SWAG.....25.4 mm Dia Convex lenses....MMMMmmmm 75mm F.L. ????? Bet we could locate surplus.....cheap !!!

To those of you who have popped for the expensive array.....Hey.....for 20 or 30 bucks....try the Telescope set up.

" It Could Work " !!!! I look at the Red array....BUT THEN....Those beams start out fairly X=Y divergent... But...well so what... See the Venn Diagram below !!! SO ....so what....

row 1 thru 4 bleed into row 5 thru 8 bleed into row 9 thru 12 bleed into row 13 thru 16 bleed into row 17 thru 20 bleed into row 21 thru 24

The Telescope optics combine the array's divergent behavior/nature.....and perhaps....we derive a somewhat solid looking compound set of beamlets !!!
Dunno....Easy enough to try !!! I am either right....or sadly very wrong !!! Good Hunting !!

CDBeam

Thank you muchly for your comments, Frau Blücher, or is it Dr. Venn?
You think you're confused? You outta see it from here!!
Rather than babble on over stuff about which I know { }
I'll just leave this here:
IMG_0653B.jpg
Out of focus looks cool anyhow.
no gang lenses
One big ass lens (you probably knew that)
low power
precarious kludge

row 1 thru 4 bleed into
row 5 thru 8 bleed into
row 9 thru 12 bleed into
row 13 thru 16 bleed into
row 17 thru 20 bleed into
row 21 thru 24

CDBeam

30 bucks optics for someone who was already able to pay 400 for the laser source? 115W? Hold me, I am dizzy.

Yes, this will to some extent work at the end but sorry, Bob, to remind you about 2 things:
-24 diverging beams will stay 24 (less diverging) beams with huge gaps between and not one more or less homogenous beam I tried to imagine how to make.
-with spherical lenses only beams close to the lenses centers will stay parallel and collimated, outer beams will focus not far away and then diverge (see aberration).

Well, we could try to make a Telescope with Aspherical lenses but I do not know where they are to get (except of tiny size like G-2). Maybe from Canon cameras? Indeed, if G-2 would be 25 or 75mm in diameter, a Telescope made with them might work fine...maybe...only experiment would tell...

tedcs

30 bucks optics for someone who was already able to pay 400 for the laser source? 115W? Hold me, I am dizzy.
Got Dramamine?
The lens was idle, and looking for something to do.
The laser source @ $3.05/ watt, was fatal attraction, or something.
I had no choice.
They had no choice.

Yes, this will to some extent work at the end but sorry, Bob, to remind you about 2 things:
-24 diverging beams will stay 24 (less diverging) beams with huge gaps between and not one more or less homogenous beam I tried to imagine how to make.
-with spherical lenses only beams close to the lenses centers will stay parallel and collimated, outer beams will focus not far away and then diverge (see aberration).

laser lozenge.png

Well, we could try to make a Telescope with Aspherical lenses but I do not know where they are to get (except of tiny size like G-2). Maybe from Canon cameras? Indeed, if G-2 would be 25 or 75mm in diameter, a Telescope made with them might work fine...maybe...only experiment would tell...
I'll write when I get a clue. :p
IMG_0658 25.jpg5 smile.png

Encap

Here is one guys practical solution for an NUBM31T array hand held demonstration laser-- reality of lens problems focusing an NUBM31T and lack of ability to combine beams discussed.

Styro is....well...extreme !!! Yes...Vladimir....I understand that Telescope optics will not remove Astigmatic Propagation of the individual beams. I do not see how individual beam correction could be practically achieved !! But...Can a set of Telescope Optics act to reduce the size of the overall array group ?? I think so...at least in the Near and medium Field.
That said....This array is so awfully dangerous......Well....I would be extremely nervous experimenting with this. Now...to you professionals ( If any ever visit here !! )....with dedicated Laser Labs, One or more designated LSO, Multiple and permissive Safety Interlocks and a complete array of Safety Protocols.....well..
You might find my sentiment......Naive. But then....you likely cringe at the lack of control with the Styro presentation.
Would any Safety goggles protect his eyes from a direct hit ??????????????????????
Anyway....just some thoughts !!!
Later,
CDBeam

tedcs

Here is one guys practical solution for an NUBM31T array hand held demonstration laser-- reality of lens problems focusing an NUBM31T and lack of ability to combine beams discussed.
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 5.13.58 PM.png
AH, yes, thank you for that. I watched Drake's video about 2 weeks ago. I then, noticed on eBay that the NUBM34T is available. I was powerless to resist.
I'm aware that beam combining is difficult, but there are a number ways to get them quite close. I can think of many applications which don't require a single coherent beam, certainly enough to be amused for a while. StyroPyro is rather entertaining, and he has great toys.