Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new warning on dx about laser shipping..

Kenom said:
I don't think the lasers on DX that claim FDA approval actually have taken the time to file with the FDA to get the approval.  It's a lot of work to make sure your lasers have the required safety features to be approved by the FDA.  Not to mention it doesn't have all of them anyway.  There's a 5 second delay that needs to be implemented to I believe.  This is a paypal thing not a DX thing.  Paypal has essentially told them that they WILL NOT accept payments for lasers into the US anymore.  Since paypal is acting as the money handler, they assume part of the reponsibility by processing the payment as ok.  Its' like willingly accepting money from a drug user to give to a drug pusher.  You know what it's for and about so you are guilty by association.  Paypal could end up having some very serious legal actions taken against them for doing so.

Yeah but those lasers on DX that are made by Viasho already have the FDA approval. Even though they dont have the 3-sec delay they were still approved, as far as I know. Thats how Jack and pseudo bring them in without any problems.

That is not true. Only a select few portables that meet FDA requirement have accession numbers. Everything else is imported illegally. Not all countries require all the safeguards that the U.S. requires so most can be sold in other countries without issue. About the only thing that the FDA generally waivers when considering an accession application is an aperture cover. The only reason you find key switches, delays, etc. on lasers is so manufacturers can market in the U.S. ALL PEN TYPE LASER POINTERS OVER 5mW ARE IMPORTED ILLEGALLY. THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESSION NUMBERS AND NEVER WILL.

As detailed above, you must provide an FDA 2877 for all laser equipment imported. If you or the exporter does not do this it is an illegal import. The 2877 requires you enter the accession number of the laser system or justify why it does not have an accession number.

Kenom

so are you saying that the aperture cover is the least important of all the other safety features? That's why I went and found aperture covers for my barrels was so that there was at least a modicrum of safety concerning them. Now I find out they aren't that important. That the FDA would rather see a safety keyswitch and a delay, than an aperture cover? Man that sucks.

JLSE

So is the notice on DX for the labby types an error? I had recently recieved some IR fiber units from sunking on feepay, and for the first time there was a form included asking reasons for diode removal, and a list of other things that is supposed to be filled out and returned. I am assuming that even parts coming and going are also required to be reported? Or is that just to cover their arse?

so we may have to create a new section of the forum for DX orders, similar to a group buy. The lasers are sent to someone in Canada, then sent off to someone in the US. Would this work?

mikeeey said:
so we may have to create a new section of the forum for DX orders, similar to a group buy. The lasers are sent to someone in Canada, then sent off to someone in the US. Would this work?

doesn't canadian customs try to stop lasers too?
they might get suspicious if they see 50 dildas going by....

wannaburn said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1219120905/40#53 date=1219208251]Now how will i make a dilda-ray? :'( :'( :'(

Maybe  DX will begin to sell the parts alone?[/quote]
or they could do something creative such as putting the entire laser inside a large flashlight, such as one that uses D sized batteries. So to the FDA it will just look like a flashlight.

FrothyChimp said:
That is not true. Only a select few portables that meet FDA requirement have accession numbers. Everything else is imported illegally. Not all countries require all the safeguards that the U.S. requires so most can be sold in other countries without issue. About the only thing that the FDA generally waivers when considering an accession application is an aperture cover. The only reason you find key switches, delays, etc. on lasers is so manufacturers can market in the U.S. ALL PEN TYPE LASER POINTERS OVER 5mW ARE IMPORTED ILLEGALLY. THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESSION NUMBERS AND NEVER WILL.

As detailed above, you must provide an FDA 2877 for all laser equipment imported. If you or the exporter does not do this it is an illegal import. The 2877 requires you enter the accession number of the laser system or justify why it does not have an accession number.

So are RPL's illegal to import?? I'm so confused... I thought jack said they had the accession number. Or, are the numbers given to distributors and not the manufacturer? Because some of the greens on DX, I think only 4 of them, are made by Viasho and are the exact same models that jack and pseudo get (but of course dx doesn't test to ensure quality etc etc etc). I know all the others are definitely illegal, especially the pens, but I think those viasho ones may be ok unless each distributor needs to have their own accession number.

How confusing :-/

mikeeey said:

mikeeey said:
or they could do something creative such as putting the entire laser inside a large flashlight, such as one that uses D sized batteries. So to the FDA it will just look like a flashlight.

Both of these are still illegal, no two ways about it.  Plot, scheme, whatever, it won't make a difference, as Frothy says.  Of all of us, he is the one who would know best.  And, you can go look up all the laws yourself.  It's illegal either way.  Same goes for re-stickering the lasers: still illegal, and only goes to further prove the premeditated, intentional, knew-it-was-illegal-and-tried-to-skirt-the-law nature of the crime if it ever ends up in court.

And seriously, like Frothy said so eloquently above, DON'T POST PLANNED CRIMES ON A PUBLIC FORUM.  

And really, think about it for a second.  DX is going along with this, following the rules from the FDA and clearly complying with the FDA's requests.  Now you call/e-mail DX and say "hey, how about re-stickering me some lasers and sneaking them through customs for me, or slipping them inside flashlights so I don't get caught by the FDA".  What's to stop DX, who has already complied with the FDA, from e-mailing someone in Washington and saying "Hey, this guy asked us to illegally import laser for him, here's his info, don't you see what a good company we are and how we do good business?".  I could very easily see DX turning you in in a situation like that.  If I was a business in the FDA's bad graces, seems like exactly the kind of thing I would try to do to get back in their good graces.  

But hey, it's your life, your decision. I sometimes drive over the speed limit at the risk of getting a ticket. It's a personal decision, and sometimes it's worth the risk to me. Is it worth the risk (many thousands of dollars and jail time) to you personally for you to have access to cheap green lasers, especially when green lasers are still available through legal channels? You decide for yourself.

Ace82 said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1219120905/20#31 date=1219175618]we should introduce the idea to DX of "5mW stickers" for the more higher powered lasers.

It's not FDA required to even indicate the power rating right?  So why put any-mW?  Not that these lasers are FDA certified anyway, but to my knowledge all it needs is the class indicator like llb and that should suffice since it isn't necessarily providing false information :-/[/quote]

Please read the laws. It is an FDA requirement - a very clear, and unambiguous part of the regulation at that. You at least have to specify the absolute maximum output as well as the class. Calling a 100mW laser anything less than a class IIIB/R is indeed providing false information. Which do you think would be considered worse? Getting caught importing an illegal laser, or getting caught trying to smuggle in an illegal laser under fradulent pretenses.

There seems to be a bit of argument about the Prometheus/RPL units that have been sold (I got messages from people on both AIM and MSN about it, heh). Viasho informs me they have received approval through accession #0710553-000. That's all I can really know to tell y'all, sorry.

DX staed they will be issueing refunds to all current orders that havn't shipped yet. I have had an order placed almost two weeks ago but have not received a refund yet nor do I want one. I would like my dilda of course. Has anyone received a refund on their order?

sportcoupe said:
DX staed they will be issueing refunds to all current orders that havn't shipped yet. I have had an order placed almost two weeks ago but have not received a refund yet nor do I want one. I would like my dilda of course. Has anyone received a refund on their order?
nope. not yet. i also placed an order a very long time ago.... waiting game