Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

new warning on dx about laser shipping..

Well, the FDA controls 'radiation' which lasers fall into, so they get jurisdiction :(

I've read somewhere about why the fda controls lasers... I think it had to do with a branch of the fda being something about medical equipment...
sure they just "regulate" things, but who really listens is another thing.

a quick check on paypal's site shows nothing about lasers being added to the general "rules" but as always, at the top there is a "you cant use paypal for anything illegal" disclaimer.

caleb

i realy dont see whats so bad about lasers. i know some idiots will use them irresponsibly but they'll probably buy the cheapest laser on DX and turn the pot up all the way anyway so it will break.

maybe there should be a test on DX to complete when buying a laser and its got more questions for higher power lasers. and timed so you cant cheat...

Hmm... I just went to DX to check out the warning. I found this line "Orders that were previously accepted and unshipped will be cancelled and refunded to customers." Which leads me to believe they may actually be serious this time. Oh well...

CDRH (center for devices and radiological health) is part of the FDA and they control a lot of the laser regulations.

Keep in mind its not that the US introduced new laws - these have been illegal long before DX ever popped up. Seems like they're actually trying to enforce the law a bit more strongly now.

but what about the lasers over 5mW that are legal on DX? Like the viasho (the ones that look like an RPL or prometheus) lasers? Aren't they "ok'd" by the FDA for import?

GooeyGus said:
but what about the lasers over 5mW that are legal on DX? Like the viasho (the ones that look like an RPL or prometheus) lasers? Aren't they "ok'd" by the FDA for import?

even if this new paypal crap wasn't in effect i still would never buy any laser from dx over $50, such as a flashlight style because it is too much money to spend if i cannot properly test it

It's still ok to buy from the UK though right?

Don't DX have a different payment option other than paypal, I thought they accepted bank transfer.

yeah, UK is still OK to purchase to.

and regarding this new enforcement, I am kind of glad to see it. means everyone will just have to make their own lasers! DIY FTW. or buy from the BST section on here.

edit: or KaiDomain... etc

We probably won't be short of lasers for a while. You could directly order from the suppliers of DX and pay about 60-70% of the DX price, but the shipping is about 100 yuan apiece to the US. If you order them in china, the shipping is about 5-6 yuan.

Ace82

Makes me want to buy another laser just to find out...

How long has this been up?
Are they Fing serious?

Well, might be a good thing for all the punks who can only afford DX high powered lasers to shine around for the media.

I think it will mostly effect those who like the cheaper DX 532nM as we can always make our own 650s

i actually had just put in an $85 dollar order of four 20mW that i will be using the hosts to make blu-rays with. The transaction went through yesterday (the 18th) so i guess we see where it goes from here.

Ace82

TheGr8Revealing said:
i actually had just put in an $85 dollar order of four 20mW that i will be using the hosts to make blu-rays with. The transaction went through yesterday (the 18th) so i guess we see where it goes from here.

I seriously doubt that they would refund your money and not sell to US. I think the warning might just be a deterrent, a CYA thing incase something goes wrong with customs. I could be dead wrong, but nobody has heard that they stopped business because of this yet right? I think it should be ok, but we'll see! If anything, it might pose as an indicator of things to come... I'd bet that eventually they will stop selling them to US, but that probably won't take effect until lasers are banned here too. I sure hope not, but I always expect the worse and, well enjoy what I can while I still got it!

we should introduce the idea to DX of "5mW stickers" for the more higher powered lasers.