Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Rayfoss Laser... Broken?

I made another thread sort of about this but I think what I've found out is enough to start a new thread in a different section.

Anyway, I ordered this laser from Rayfoss about 3 weeks ago. It finally arrived yesterday so I took everything out of the box, put the included 16850 battery in it, and gave it a try. It was only about as bright as the 5mw green pointer I used to have so thinking the battery just needed to be charged, I took off the barrel extender and put in the included 16340 battery. Same results.

Thinking that both batteries just needed to be charged, I proceeded to spend the entire rest of the day trying to figure out how exactly the batteries were supposed to charge. No matter what I did, it was always the same when I put one of the batteries on the charger. The light would turn red and stay that way for 5-10 minutes, then it would flash between red and green for ~10 minutes, then it would turn green.

I put the batteries back in, and got the same result. I tried leaving the batteries on the charger for about 6 hours but it didn't change anything. So, now I'm thinking the laser is just broken. Here's what it does:

When the on switch is pressed, it's just slightly brighter than my 5mw laser was. The beam is slightly visible indoors in a dark room, and visible at night. After about 20 seconds, the beam is no longer visible. After 60 seconds, the dot is just a very faint green.

So, what do you guys think? Bad batteries? Bad charger? Or bad laser? I REALLY don't want to have to send this thing back to Rayfoss. It took 3 weeks to get here so it'll be a month or more before it ever gets back if I have to send it to them.

jakeGT

Pics or a video would be good, I have the same model I'n my signature and have gotten 175mW max out of it. Mine ia very bright, beam indoors during
Day, very bright at night

Did you put the batterys I'n negative first?

The batteries are in negative first.

ERdOI.jpg

That's the best pic I can get. As you can see, it's really not very bright. Want a dark room shot? It'll be grainy because all I have to take pics is my iPod touch.

jakeGT

yep, take a dark picture

If you can see the beam very clearly in the dark, it's probably 100mW

Well crap... I'm never gonna hear the end of this. Before this I had 3 other cheap green lasers that all quit on me. I got tired of the constant sending back and arguing about refunds so I made the decision to spend a bunch on a high quality laser. I assured my dad over and over again that this would be it... and now I have to send it back.

I think I'd rather have my $75 back but I doubt they'd do that. On a tight budget atm because I lost my job last week (scheduling issues) and I'm trying to pay my way through school.

jakeGT

I'd say your right TJ. It should be much brighter with a very visible beam

get a refund, I'm upgrading my green. I'll sell you mine, with LPM video of it doing 150mW steady. $50 plus shipping and mine is yuors. It's in perfect condition, I have an LPM, will verify output for you. if your interested PM me.

Sounds good. I'll see if they'll give me a refund and then we'll talk.

jakeGT

They will give you a refund, just email FAONO, tell her you just got the laser, and want a full refund, she'll take care of you

jakeGT

yeah that's it, I took a quick pic on my phone and am uploading it now of what yours should look like

Yea, mine looks nothing like that. At the most, the beam is a very, very dim line. But it disappears within 10 seconds.

I sent the email. Waiting for a response.

Last edited:
Dude, you need to throw that battery away! A Li-ion battery, 6 hours on the charger? You're lucky your house didn't burn down... I don't even let them sit in the charger for more than 5 minutes after the light turns green.

Sorry about the laser though, Faona has always been good to me so I hope it works out.

Ash

Yes. Rayfoss is really good with returns and exchanges. Just make sure to get tracking and/or insurance, as the China postal system sometimes has a strange vortex.