Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Rayfoss Laser... Broken?

jakeGT

Dude, you need to throw that battery away! A Li-ion battery, 6 hours on the charger? You're lucky your house didn't burn down... I don't even let them sit in the charger for more than 5 minutes after the light turns green.

Sorry about the laser though, Faona has always been good to me so I hope it works out.

Haha, that reminds me of a funny story.... I had a charger, and a battery, that had no markings, and i thought it was one of my 14500's... turns out it wasnt... blew THE F UP. my whole room had shrapnel from the charger sticking out of thew walls and crap. Seriously these batteries arent one to mess with, they can really really hurt someone if they blow up around you

Haha, that reminds me of a funny story.... I had a charger, and a battery, that had no markings, and i thought it was one of my 14500's... turns out it wasnt... blew THE F UP. my whole room had shrapnel from the charger sticking out of thew walls and crap. Seriously these batteries arent one to mess with, they can really really hurt someone if they blow up around you

0.0 It was just a AA battery? First horror story I've heard from an LPFer.

If this doesn't prove my point I don't know what will!

jakeGT

yup, it was just a regular crappy AA unmarked, my dad called me into the house when I was in the garage changing my motorcycles oil, and was like alright, I don't know what the hell you just blew up in your room, but you need to go check it out. my room was COMPLETELY clouded with smoke, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, so I had to go open some windows, turn the fan on, and close the door for a good 3 hours

When I left it on the charger for a long time, It was outside. I checked on it every 30 mins. The battery never got hot but the charger got slightly warm. It came with no instructions so I wasn't sure if green meant charged or not.

Yeah green is charged. You really should throw it away though, I certainly wouldn't use it... Once they go over 4.5V they get to be pretty dangerous.

EDIT- jake beat me to it.

It's a smart charger. It stops charging once the battery is full. I'm pretty sure the battery is fine. Either way, it's going back with the laser when I ship it.

jakeGT

Remember, just because something SAYS it's a smart charger, or says it'll shutoff charging at a certain point, equipment does fault. You can't just trust it, simply measure it with a DMM to make sure, just for future reference

I don't have one of those. I just know that it works exactly the same now as when I got it so I highly doubt it's damaged in any way.

jakeGT

I know that, I never said it was damaged or anything, I was just saying, for your protection. If you read the comments I made a few minutes ago, you will find out that batterys are not something to mess with. Especially these lithium ones, and that's why I said, for future reference, grab a DMM 15 bucks at radio shack, can save you your house potentially

I'll check it out randomlugia.

Still no response from Rayfoss. I ran into this problem when I first tried to contact them about my tracking number. It took 4 emails (one threatening to file a dispute) and a week of waiting before I got any response. Are they usually this bad?

I wouldn't worry if you're still getting responses, but I usually got a response within the following 4 days. What did she say?