Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New items at NOVAlasers!

I would like the new laser better if it was powered by some other battery. My Aquarius consumes the CR2 in very little time. Anyway, I am petty sure I can get these in the CNI GB's if a laser with a CR2 is really wanted. -Glenn

Remember that in the laser market you get what you pay for.
For someone on a budget, Optotronics pens are good for the price/power ratio, but the quality of the newwish style pens is inferior to these CNI built units.

Even directly from CNI, a 150mW pen will cost you more than $200.
Why? Because you are paying for higher quality components.
The $400 price tag at NOVA is the markup you get when purchasing from a distributor. The extra $$ pays for quality control and customer support.
In my opinion, the price is fair. You will not find a high quality, pre-tested and metered 150-250mW pointer for a better price from any other retailer.

Nice explanation, +1.

HIMNL9

:thinking: uhmmmmmmm ....... i'm wondering about how they got 275mW of green (I can only suppose that they are speaking about 275mW IR filtered, cause in all the description i can't see anywhere the words "IR filtered" ..... :p) off from a bonded crystal set, with an 1W 808nm diode , when the actual better efficency for these crystals is around 23/25% .....

Let me clarify what i mean ..... i'm NOT saying that the thing is impossible ..... i have, in fact, a cavity where i've mounted a 3W 808nm with FAC diode, and in a week of alignment i've got, after an IR filter and for short periods (i don't want to fry it, after all :p), peaks of 770mW, decreasing around 650mW in 10 seconds, and staying stable for a pair of minutes ..... this mean an efficency higher than 25%, after all ..... but it took me a week just for find a decent alignment, and i don't think it's so easy to do the same thing with 12mm modules (mine is a lab-style cavity) .....

..... except, maybe, the only 2 other possibilities that comes me in mind ..... or that 1W808nm diode is overdrived around 1,5W, and in this case i'm wondering how much of those "3000/5000 hours expected life" declared you can get for real ..... or there's no IR filters on that unit, and in this case i'm curious to see it measured with a filter .....

(I know, i know, i'm a damn curious one ..... but what i have to do, about this ? ..... i'm curious, it's in my nature :p :D)

:thinking: uhmmmmmmm ....... i'm wondering about how they got 275mW of green (I can only suppose that they are speaking about 275mW IR filtered, cause in all the description i can't see anywhere the words "IR filtered" ..... :p) off from a bonded crystal set, with an 1W 808nm diode , when the actual better efficency for these crystals is around 23/25% .....

Let me clarify what i mean ..... i'm NOT saying that the thing is impossible ..... i have, in fact, a cavity where i've mounted a 3W 808nm with FAC diode, and in a week of alignment i've got, after an IR filter and for short periods (i don't want to fry it, after all :p), peaks of 770mW, decreasing around 650mW in 10 seconds, and staying stable for a pair of minutes ..... this mean an efficency higher than 25%, after all ..... but it took me a week just for find a decent alignment, and i don't think it's so easy to do the same thing with 12mm modules (mine is a lab-style cavity) .....

..... except, maybe, the only 2 other possibilities that comes me in mind ..... or that 1W808nm diode is overdrived around 1,5W, and in this case i'm wondering how much of those "3000/5000 hours expected life" declared you can get for real ..... or there's no IR filters on that unit, and in this case i'm curious to see it measured with a filter .....

(I know, i know, i'm a damn curious one ..... but what i have to do, about this ? ..... i'm curious, it's in my nature :p :D)

NOVA states on the front page that all lasers are IR filtered. Also, the specs claim 99.5% IR filtration. I know CNI (the manufacturer of the laser in question) installs an IR filter in all their visible wavelength DPSS lasers.

These lasers are a bit bigger than the average pen style. The module itself is about 16mm in diameter. This provides a little more mass for heat-sinking and more room for components.

The specs claim a 1W diode, in which case the efficiency would have to be really high to achieve, but I don't think they are over-driven to achieve output. If that were the case, the laser would heat up so quickly that it would be useless. I think it is more likely a 1.2W diode like is used in the lower power portable lasers manufactured by CNI.

I too am curious how they achieved such high power from a tiny pointer, but I believe it, as NOVA is an honest company and I have had good dealings with them in the past.
Anyway, CNI has produced some very high power portables for forum members... like davidgdg's >100mW 473nm (rated for 50mW), quadcam's 40mW 593.5nm pen, and my own >650mW PGL (rated for 400mW), so I'm sure that it is doable.

Perhaps I will talk to NOVA about getting a review unit to borrow... That may be fun.

It's been a long time since I've heard anything from NOVA, but they have just added some new items and redesigned their website.

They now offer a 275mW pen, comparable to the Dragonlasers' "Aurora" and the "Alpha" is now available up to 225mW.

And the best part-- NOVA still has the best distributor prices on CNI products!

It's worth a look.

NOVAlasers Home

The price cannot be the best, and this model at ¤¤200mW-250mW Green Lasers Yamakata Series,Powerful Green Laser Pointer 200mW-250mW $498.99,Freak Lasers can be a best distributor pricing. $499, Vs $699, the same cni model at DL.

The 5mw blue laser pen I got from them came with a power test verification (9.09mW) and two labels with "cnilaser.com" on them. Obviously standard cni laser pen.

I just wonder if cni gives them similar dealers' preferred pricing and why such much profit margin in laserglow or DR can still make them 'recommendable'.