Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Blues????!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabish

Hello Everyone. I have been away from LPF for a LONG TIME....

Just came back and im surprised!!!! New 445nm lasers!!!!!

Also, whats with the $200 1W wicked laser spyder!!!

Someone give me a quick recap lmao

I mean, I turn my back for a little while and blue laser price drops by 100s of times!!!!!!!

Casio made a DLP projector that contains 24 class 4 445nm laser diodes. The projector usually costs around $800US.. meaning the diodes can be harvested quite cheaply.

Tabish

EACH of the diodes can ouput up to 1W ???

If so, that means wickedlasers is making huge profits lol

Yeah at first one or two members were buying these diodes on eBay for +400 bone and overnight you can pick one up in a GB for about an 1/8th of that.

People are pretty pissed/concerned than Wicked is so irresponsible to make a Class IV laser available for so cheap. Sooner or lasers some punk kid is going to shine it at a plane or blind his class mate an it'll be all over the news. It's only a matter of time until "the man" really starts cracking down on importing illegal lasers. I don't care what Wicked says, anything over 5mW is illegal but they get through anyways.

My advice; buy em while you can. But they'll never stop us DIY guys. Only complete lasers are illegal, but you can buy all the diodes you want. :D

-Tony

Grix

Yup. The diode is multimode though, so the beam profile is pretty bad (more like a short line instead of a dot). But wickedlasers states TEM00 so perhaps they have fixed it, we'll have to wait and see.

Tabish

So does wickedlasers use a single out of the 24 diodes or do they combine multiple diodes to create a 1w beam ??

I'm beginning to think more and more that it's just that their web/marketing team doesn't know or care what TEM00 means. I don't see how they could have fixed it. Moreso, I don't see how they could have fixed it and kept the price at $200.

It definetly only uses one diode for sure, and I still haven't got an email back from Steve explaining the lens assembly, so Aryntha might be right about that.

Oh of course they're BSing. They sell lasers to people who don't know anything, or little, about them. And I really doubt they've addressed the multi mode anomaly with the appropriate lenses. They advertise it as <1W. A 5mW could technically be advertised as <1W. The warning label they have on the unit is a generic class IV laser warning label and it says the output is <500mW.

Form what we've seen so far, these diodes are very inconsistent. At 600mA you may get between 450-600mW of power regardless of the lens. I really doubt, rather I'm almost certain, that the Artic won't be over 900mW. That'll be over the operating current that they were set to in the projectors they were extracted from.

Plus the current draw from the battery would be too high and the voltage might falter if you're not using good fresh batteries. Also these diodes get hot really fast. They're really not meant for small handhelds, unless they well heatsinked and even then the duty cycle should be limited to like 30 seconds. And of course Wicked says that they have a 100% DC, but again just like the TEM00 issue, they're BSing.

-Tony

Last edited:
Most likely they fix it with a simple FAC lens.

I'm beginning to think more and more that it's just that their web/marketing team doesn't know or care what TEM00 means. I don't see how they could have fixed it. Moreso, I don't see how they could have fixed it and kept the price at $200.

jbtm

I think its true that WL can do TEM00...While chating to Rayfoss, She said their engineering teem gets lots of multimode diodes and they can usually figure them out within a couple days of research to make them TEM00. Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

With my big heatsink, i did a 8 minute run, took a temp reading of the actual diode, and it was still below 74F...Which was room temp. No fans, No pelt, Just one big 4x3x1 inch heatsink at 700mA :p I seen at other forums, people doing 1W for 40 mins with a TEC..But go figure ;)

Last edited:
I think its true that WL can do TEM00...While chating to Rayfoss, She said their engineering teem gets lots of multimode diodes and they can usually figure them out within a couple days of research to make them TEM00. Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

With my big heatsink, i did a 8 minute run, took a temp reading of the actual diode, and it was still below 74F...Which was room temp. No fans, No pelt, Just one big 4x3x1 inch heatsink at 700mA :p I seen at other forums, people doing 1W for 40 mins with a TEC..But go figure ;)

No matter what they can achieve with simple optics, it's not TEM00. TEM00 is not possible with multimode diodes. It would be more accurate for them to state "near TEM00" or something similar.

Well with a big uniform heat sink it'll prolly get to it's equilibrium temp in about 2 minutes. Solid aluminum builds, like Ehgemus's machined hosts, I think will be more efficient at transferring heat.

Builds that have an Aixiz module, then a copper heat sink, within an aluminum flash light host will not be as efficient. The heat exchange will only be as good as the metal with the worst heat conduction. And any gap will inhibit that heat transfer as well.

Since there is no way that the Artic employs TEC cooling, I still think the duty cycle will be a cause for concern, regardless of what WL says. But like you said we'll have to wait and see.

-Tony

oikos

they will say anything just to sell u it hoping u would be ok just cuz they're cheap :(

ixfd64

I have a hard time believing that. If it's really possible to get a TEM00 beam out of a multi-mode diode, then why are companies like Laserglow still selling lasers with beam specs of 5 mrad @ 5 mm? It may be possible to correct a multi-mode beam such that it projects a small round dot, but the beam will not be truly TEM00.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.