Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Necroposting.

What, exactly, is the problem with necroposting? By that I mean, what is wrong with it as a concept in and of itself?

I've been on a number of forums where necroposting is encouraged, with the main condition being that the new post be relevant to that particular topic. Sometimes they stress that the new post should actually add something substantive to that discussion, rather than simply saying "I agree!" (or disagree) or some such and leaving it at that, without explaining any reasoning behind why the person agrees (or disagrees).

Here on LPF, necroposting seems frowned upon in general.

I've seen some interesting threads (even here) that I would never have, were it not for someone necroposting. With that in mind, what is the basis for LPF frowning upon necroposting in general? I am simply curious.

Last edited:

Necroposting has always been fine here WHEN it adds to the original discussion. HOWEVER, how often do you see that happen here? I'll answer that for you, NEVER. People always post in for sale threads that are 2 years old; "is it still for sale" ummm hell no! Someone has a laser review from 3 years ago; "nice laser" who cares?!

Necroposting is and always has been fine WHEN it is relevant to the original post and ADDS something with meaning. Post random junk and you will get flamed for days!

Many times its done purely by accident-- the poster failed to see that the thread (like a FS thread) is quite old and its unlikely the item is still FS-

BUT if you really have a good reason to post its OK-- Occasionally the OP is at fault because they failed to 'end' the thread-- like adding SOLD or 'Item arrived' etc.

'Post Whores' are easy to spot- they post a lot of short posts and do many in one day.
They often get warned and stop the practice- if they continue they get a short 'time-out' but when they come back and do it again there are no more warnings -- So its pretty much all about the OP and the last post-- and the dates-- read them before posting-

hak

ARG

I'm fine with it as long as it adds to the discussion, or asks another question related to the original one.

clearly it must be ok sometimes, or we would have a double standard when we complain to people for starting new threads about topics that already exist

DJNY

Sometimes it happens when new members doing a search (what is good!) and finding a good, interesting thread, maybe with good pictures and so on. They write down a comment like "nice pics" "good info, thanks" (and so on). They might don´t look at the date or don´t think that it is "bad" to do necroposting `without a good reason´.
Some other, older members come by and tell them that it is WRONG, maybe leaving a neg-rep.

Personally I think that it is better to necropost a thread, even with no good reason, instead of getting even more redundant threads.

I necroposted (bumped) old threads as well. Aryntha´s rare-wavelength reviews for example.

Long story short, I´m good / don´t care about necroposting / bumping an old thread unless the post contain spam or some stupid / wrong statements.

ped

Iv'e let many necro's go as, as has already been said, it add's to the original discussion.

It's when people post in a 3 year old thread saying "that r0x0rzz" or "ko0l" ect that we draw the line.

WTH?? negging over something as minor as this goes way too far.
and IMO, a worse 'sin' itself than any necro post-

. I do , however question the reason to 'reply with quote' when the OP has a dozen pics in it- do we really need to see all of them over and over??

wasted space--

Last edited:
I do hate when needless quoting goes too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IsaacT

I necropost ed in my own welcome thread not long ago as a joke because it had never received a reply lol.

Honestly though, as long as the person has something good to say it helps keep things interesting. I especially like it when people comment in an old review or something of mine. A combination of ego stroke and nostalgia if I am to be completely honest.

I welcome constructive necroposters.

I do hate when needless quoting goes too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I was not alone with this- I STILL use DIAL_UP modem (not completely by choice) Pic heavy OPs can take HOURS to dwnld- so when someone quotes a pic heavy OP or post I get to wait even longer..
soon we all will have free wifi everywhere

I necropost ed in my own welcome thread not long ago as a joke because it had never received a reply lol.

Honestly though, as long as the person has something good to say it helps keep things interesting. I especially like it when people comment in an old review or something of mine. A combination of ego stroke and nostalgia if I am to be completely honest.

I welcome constructive necroposters.

Agree- if you are the OP, IMO, it's never a necro-

likewise with double or more posting- I have no issue with that when there is a valid reason..

Last edited:
likewise with double or more posting- I have no issue with that when there is a valid reason..

Completely agreed. I'm a strong believer that the OP reserves the right to double post (but I'd say not triple) when adding new content as long as a reasonable amount of time has passed between posts (perhaps one day). Many technical forums uses this system as it is conducive to research and experimentation reports.

Often the previous post warrants no reply from the readers, and simply editing the new info in doesn't tell those who are following the thread that there has been new info added. So by double posting the OP is BUMPing the thread for those readers to read the new info. I do this a lot in the Geek's Corner threads that I've started, and I wish others would do it too. I once missed tons of added info from Hemlock Mike for nearly a week because he just edited it in to his last post, and didn't double post.

I'd be fine with similar parameters for necroposting; OP or previous contributors can to add or update info or reinforce/correct previous statements, but new posters have to have solid legitimate contributions to bring it back up.

Last edited:
so when someone quotes a pic heavy OP or post I get to wait even longer..

..pic has same size ,same name= browser uses caching to prevent loading again ;) (or cache is full/too small = :yabbmad:)

but when someone has a (late) question ,necro should be ok , too many threads with same content means wasting time when searching