Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

N450 & N465 build

BobMc

Well I decided to grab the new N450 and the new 465 from DTR to see what they could do?:thinking: So I also grabbed two sxd drivers. One set at 4.0 amps for the n465 and 4.5 amps set for the n450. ( knew I was pushing the the n450 pretty hard, but I'm a glutton for punishment) Choose to put them in the Lux-pro 600 host.

1), First we lined up all the parts
2), Than unwrapped Lifetimes polished heat sinks and separated the drivers.
3), Wired up the drivers.
4), Dismantled the pill that came with the host.
5), Than removed all the components on the driver board.( wont be needing them). Than drilled a hole in the board for the positive lead.
6), Next thermo epoxied the sxd drivers in the pill, let dry for an hour. Grabbed a bite to eat.
7), Trimmed all the wires and soldered the positive wire in the center of the driver boards and soldered and pinched the ground wire in between the driver board and the pill. Used a small vice to squeeze the ground wire in nice and snug.
8), Soldered up the diodes to there matching drivers and shrink tubed the solder joints.
9), Lined up all the parts for the final assembly.
10), Made final assembly, put batteries in.

Moment of truth, drum, roll if you please and, and, and, and, BOOM!!!

THE N450 LED"D AS SOON AS I FIRED HER UP!!!! WHAAAAAA :cryyy::cryyy:

( like I said, I knew I was pushing the n450 hard, so watch it if you chose to push them at 4.5 amps, a man had to try though.:tsk::tsk: So I ordered another diode and a BB6 set at 4.0amps, hopefully second times a charm.)

The n465 threw photon's for days, and is real pretty color, will try to get some night time beam shots tonight. :D

So on these builds I'm running 50%, does that mean only one eye can cry? :thinking: :)

Hope you enjoy the thread. :)

sFcJ9b4.jpg

qFTvcxD.jpg

pUUz2wS.jpg

FYBY3sr.jpg

apsjNdf.jpg

1jeAUdV.jpg

bHbmbA3.jpg

Hdufw0X.jpg

OFjNVXA.jpg

0vMQpYW.jpg

J9wyHMB.jpg

ZRAkyoD.jpg

T6x7uyG.jpg

ec4QcWi.jpg

2lULjll.jpg

wYcItjC.jpg

Well I tested the driver and it was still good. So I thought I give it a go to press and solder my first diode. Had a used 44 that can handle 4.5 amps, that was givin to me, so a quick prayer and off to the races.

1), Tested driver, still good.
20, Pressed diode in 12mm module.
3), Soldered leads and shrink tubed.
4), Mounted module in heat sink to test on psu. Yea she's good! :)
5), Remounted diode and heat sink in the host solder the leads, and Yep we have photons. :)

KMsYjOv.jpg

hVqlXFt.jpg

AT4MlaG.jpg

DNtLgPZ.jpg

Wf2e6nd.jpg

AafZtUR.jpg

iT6hKDp.jpg

The saying go "all things work together" so it ends well. :)

Ps. still need a n450 build, but a replacements on it's way. :)

Last edited:

Ok so now I'm drooling all over my keyboard. :drool:

Oh Bob..
Look what you have done :D:D

Nice work and +Rep for beautiful builds!!

BobMc

Ok so now I'm drooling all over my keyboard. :drool:

Oh Bob..
Look what you have done :D:D

Nice work and +Rep for beautiful builds!!

Thanks AcrticDude, that n465 sure is bright, going to try and post some beam shots tonight. Sorry about your keyboard. :)

The one that led'd ( the n450 ) broke my heart.:cryyy: 131.00 down the drain. :(

Edit,@ EP Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hi BM
That sound like you followed
All the number and showed pics . Every if you ran that diode at that settled it shouldn't have die so suddenly. Mucho cash shot in the a$$

Rich:)

DTR

Very nice builds. Are you sure it is the diode and not the driver or power source. Both can leave the unit looking similar just emitting faint light but one way to tell without taking it apart is to see is the module making a lot of heat or not. If it is not making a lot of heat it might just be the driver or power source as if it is getting 4.5A there will be lot energy being dumped as heat but if it is not getting much power either from a damaged SXD or say batteries where one has tripped the protection PCB.

While 4.5A is higher than I recommend I don't think it would pop it off the bat based on what I have seen of them.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice build tutorial Bob, sorry to hear of your N450's early demise.

Don't cry though, your glass is half full, heck, if you were a major league baseball player, you'd be an all star! :D

Last edited:

BobMc

Hi BM
That sound like you followed
All the number and showed pics . Every if you ran that diode at that settled it shouldn't have die so suddenly. Mucho cash shot in the a$$

Yea, it's bound to happen sooner or later. Just wished it was later. :thinking:

Very nice builds. Are you sure it is the diode and not the driver or power source. Both can leave the unit looking similar just emitting faint light but one way to tell without taking it apart is to see is the module making a lot of heat or not. If it is not making a lot of heat it might just be the driver or power source as if it is getting 4.5A there will be lot energy being dumped as heat but if it is not getting much power either from a damaged SXD or say batteries where one has tripped the protection PCB.

While 4.5A is higher than I recommend I don't think it would pop it off the bat based on what I have seen of them.

Thanks DTR;

Yea, diodes dead, checked it on a psu. Haven't checked the driver yet.
She blinked for about a half a second and that was it. I disconnected it and powered it on my psu and not even a glimmer.

Nice build tutorial Bob, sorry to hear of your N450's early demise.

Don't cry though, your glass is half full, heck, if you were a major league baseball player, you'd be an all star! :D

Thanks BtG, it's my 4th diode to go belly up. Getting a collection. Hopefully it's my quota :tinfoil:

Last edited:
I was going to ask what you get for a duty cycle with so much current into a 450nm LD with a relatively smaller heat sink? DTR is right. If the diode is the problem you should be getting a lot of heat into that heat sink. Otherwise it could be the driver or battery or your hook up of the battery/driver combination.

DTR

Thanks DTR;

Yea, diodes dead, checked it on a psu. Haven't checked the driver yet.
She blinked for about a half a second and that was it. I disconnected it and powered it on my psu and not even a glimmer.

That is a bummer.

Yea for troubleshooting I would put the the driver on a test load with it still bonded in the pill, pill screwed into the host and powered by the batteries to see if it is working correctly in is final operating environment. One thought I have is if there is a short of the driver to the pill when powered in the host by batteries it could bypass the driver and give a straight shot to the diode. This might now show up if you test the driver with a PSU outside the host not sharing a common ground.

If you somehow got the battery to bypass the driver, that would definitely explain its quick demise. You will only know if you connect it as is to your test load.

BobMc

That is a bummer.

Yea for troubleshooting I would put the the driver on a test load with it still bonded in the pill, pill screwed into the host and powered by the batteries to see if it is working correctly in is final operating environment. One thought I have is if there is a short of the driver to the pill when powered in the host by batteries it could bypass the driver and give a straight shot to the diode. This might now show up if you test the driver with a PSU outside the host not sharing a common ground.

If you somehow got the battery to bypass the driver, that would definitely explain its quick demise. You will only know if you connect it as is to your test load.

Planning on testing the driver tomorrow. Ran out of gas today.

Will test it in the host with the batteries I used. Hopefully the driver is still good. If so I have a 44 that just needs to be set in a module and wired up. A project for tomorrow. :)

Hi BM,
Don't worry i have a collection over the years to , hey it does hurt i feel your pain brother :(

BobMc

Hi BM,
Don't worry i have a collection over the years to , hey it does hurt i feel your pain brother :(

Thanks Rich for all the help, updated the post with the next diode/build. Success. :yh:

I have a bunch of "dead soldiers" from the past.
You need any ? :D
HM

Haaaaa, Hemlock, I really appreciate your offer, but let me get back with you on that, because, I seem to be doing a pretty good job of it myself. Unfortunately that is.:whistle:

Last edited:
Treat you well Bob, eh ? the top of the top ! amazing construction ! a beautiful deep blue ! congratulations congratulations ! :gj: