Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

N450 & N465 build

I stand corrected dden. The 07 has a tighter dot, not by much, but a little. Have got some photos to post but for some reason photo bucket is not letting me post them:thinking: Will try again tomorrow.

Ps, Sorry for the separate posts, can I blame it on a senior moment?

Edit;
1_zps7yo6yzjd.jpg
7_zpsizba1fsu.jpg
, them 07 is on the right,the n465 on the left.

What about the color, is it the same?

Interesting, perhaps it can also be pushed to extreme wavelengths at 5A or so.

BobMc

Interesting, perhaps it can also be pushed to extreme wavelengths at 5A or so.

Which one are you talking about?

I was pushing my n450 at 4.5 amps when she led'd. I still think it can be pushed that hard, think it was just a bad diode, it happens, part of the hobby. Ordered another one, will be pushing that one at 4.0 amps but maybe later on I'll buy another and try again at 4.5 amps to see if their's much color shift.

It would be interesting to push the 07 at 5 amps for kicks also. :D

Last edited:
Hi BM,
next time you get a diode press it in and sink it in a heat sink , Then hook it up to your PSU and turn it up little at a time to see the rise and drop for efficiency . Thisway you come close to see where you can set the driver safely. I test all my diodes before i put them in a build to see what they can really do.. Oh your labby sink will be coming turned the standoffs and threaded them and fit them to one of the fans i have. Just waiting for the AL flat bar to come and a new vertical band saw.

Rich:)

BobMc

Hi BM,
next time you get a diode press it in and sink it in a heat sink , Then hook it up to your PSU and turn it up little at a time to see the rise and drop for efficiency . Thisway you come close to see where you can set the driver safely. I test all my diodes before i put them in a build to see what they can really do.. Oh your labby sink will be coming turned the standoffs and threaded them and fit them to one of the fans i have. Just waiting for the AL flat bar to come and a new vertical band saw.

Great advice; the packages are on their way, looking forward to the heat sink. Will be using it on my next home time, been needing one for awhile, thanks for build me one. :)

Which one are you talking about?

I was pushing my n450 at 4.5 amps when she led'd. I still think it can be pushed that hard, think it was just a bad diode, it happens, part of the hobby. Ordered another one, will be pushing that one at 4.0 amps but maybe later on I'll buy another and try again at 4.5 amps to see if their's much color shift.

It would be interesting to push the 07 at 5 amps for kicks also. :D

I meant the N465.

I meant the N465.

I think this might be just asking for a diode failure. I watched as Jordan pushed this diode all the way to 5 amps for a second and stopped immediately as his recommendation is 3.5 amps for this diode. Even for the short while he had it at 5 amps, he stopped the test immediately.

You're probably right, I was just speculating.

Last edited:
Hi,
The reason why he stops is you can see the drop i efficiency. Like i said before in another post, i even test all my diodes before i put them in a build. this way i know how to set the drivers so they will last . A PSU is a great piece of equipment to own if you like to build.

I think in this particular case he was aiming to hit 5 amps. The output was still increasing, so there was no fold over. He hit 5 amps and immediately shut it down. I agree that these power supplies are a great way to test diodes, though. I have a couple, myself.

BobMc

Received my new n450 diode, also ordered a new driver a bb6, because DTR was out of sxd drivers. Same diameter so it should fit. Except, the chip is on the front and since I'm running it at 4.0 amps, got to mount a heat sink on the top of the chip. The pill of the lux-pro is small with not much depth. With the heatsink on the bb6, there's not enough room to put the contact board on. :cryyy: means I'm going to have to wait til DTR gets some more sxd drivers. Patience, patience, patience. I'm still in practicing in that. :can: :pop:

Last edited:

DTR

Received my new n450 diode, also ordered a new driver a bb6, because DTR was out of sxd drivers. Same diameter so it should fit. Except, the chip is on the front and since I'm running it at 4.0 amps, got to mount a heat sink on the top of the chip. The pill of the lux-pro is small with not much depth. With the heatsink on the bb6, there's not enough room to put the contact board on. :cryyy: means I'm going to have to wait til DTR gets some more sxd drivers. Patience, patience, patience. I'm still in practicing in that. :can: :pop:

You Sink it via the flat side and the heat is drawn though the PCB.:beer:

BobMc

You Sink it via the flat side and the heat is drawn though the PCB.:beer:

Ok, than what type of thermo compound do you use? I have Arctic Aluminum Thermal Adhesive( two parts ) and Arctic Aluminina Premium Ceramic Polyaynthetic Thermal Compound ?

I thinking neither will work because I need to build up a little distance between the bottom of the driver and the pill so the wires don't touch the pill.? Especially if I have to press the bottom of the driver so it sinks with the pill so heat can transfer?

Last edited:

DTR

Yea I use sheer cutters to make the solder or excess wire thought the holes as flat and level with the base of the driver as possible. You can get away with just thermal adhesive if you have it flat enough but I like to use a layer of thermal tape in addition to the thermal adhesive just to give that extra buffer. Go for the very thin thermal tape no need to get the thick stuff.:beer: