Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My laser saved my life!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously we all know what we would do in that situation.

But its not good to post it, because there will always be a group of morons that read it, and use it for an excuse to hurt an animal. They'll go an screw with animals till they find a target. I'm glad no one got hurt, but lets let the thread die.

Just my $0.02

T_J is right-

but I can see that a green laser should be kept handy by Postal carriers and airline pilots as well, plus this thread is the general forum.

I find it hard to believe that agressive dogs have not been encouraged to show that behavior by thier owners. I love dogs-volunteer many hours every week for the SPCA but any big breed dog that comes after me WILL get lased-

been bitten--

did not enjoy it.

no-sir, not even a little.

I had a medium sized, long, white haired dog come out of a back yard and attack me when I was younger, I grabbed it and threw it away by the head.
Problem is, the dog came back for seconds. A quick kick and a jump with my work boots calmed it down but I am still packin' scars on my right hand from that little bugger. I threw it back in the yard for the inattentive owner to find in the morning.
I say humans are more important than animals and I have NO problem killing something to protect me or mine.
I don't go looking for stuff to kill but will never hesitate in doing so again.
Anyone who thinks that animals are more important than humans is just stupid but I don't think a laser is effective enough.

BTW guys i would never ever even think about doing it to a dog or any other kind of living thing if it was unnecessary, i was just scared to my core and fort well its not going to kill it but its going to scare it an it worked so in my opinion these lasers come in very useful as self defense

MojoLA

Are you sure the dogs didn't leave something behind, because I smell bullshit.

I really can't picture a couple of random dogs deciding to chase you, then u whip out your laser pointer, aim it at them and they run off yelping.

Highly unlikely story.

What does seem likely though is a young guy who just got his first laser is a little over excited and is filling up the forum with a LOT of new threads looking for attention.

Just relax, dude. Great, you got a laser pointer and it excites you. Enjoy it and do a bit more READING AND LEARNING first.

DJNY

Are you sure the dogs didn't leave something behind, because I smell bullshit.

I really can't picture a couple of random dogs deciding to chase you, then u whip out your laser pointer, aim it at them and they run off yelping.

Maybe the dogs heard about his new laser :whistle:

BSF.. most of the dogs I know love laser light and would run around to catch it. It is VERY strange that two dogs are scared and run away. Or were these dogs such small that the laserpoint was bigger than them? :rolleyes:

5mw green to chase away would seem reasonable. But don't resort to force greater than necessary, where a 1W 445nm laser certainly crosses the line.

Rafa

I have been in a similar sutiation but instead of a greenie I had a 100mW PHR.

And yes, the dogs run away when you shine a laser NEAR them, I didn't shine it at their eyes. The laser scares the crap out of them.

OK, so all of you are telling me that if you had a choice, you would let the dogs chew you up?
Don't get me wrong... I love animals. But fuck the dog, I'll choose my own safety over a stray (possibly rabid) dog's eyesight any day.

And if you really think a 5-20mW ebay greenie is going to permanently blind an animal within a fraction of a second you are exaggerating greatly.
Any one of you self-righteous laser safety/animal cruelty advocates can GTFO.
Have a good day. :)
There a reason the dog attack they see u as something weak
You have to act as the pact leader.

Its very stupid to run when a dog go straight to you

My two dogs doesnt bother with my lasers.

Last edited:
I have been in a similar sutiation but instead of a greenie I had a 100mW PHR.

I have used a slightly defocused 30mW 405nm $9 pointer to scare a skunk away from our tent while camping with GF. I also had a 40mW 532nm pointer on me. I noticed the skunk did not care about the green, but would get scared of the violet. I attribute this to the same feeling we get when we look at the 405nm dot, most people say their eyes are uncomfortable, my GF says it makes her dizzy...

All I had to do is shine it on the ground next to him - I tried NOT to hit his eyes. The little guy was really persistent about exploring our site, and I was scared he'll rip the super thin tent walls. I also had to intimidate him with stomping, yelling and making myself look bigger. Seeing the laser was the "last straw" in this equation...

My protection is more important than that of a dog's. If I had only a laser to defend myself, I would use it. If I had only a gun to defend myself, I would use that too.

Wow that's very cool that it worked, I suspected that a laser would only make a dog angry.
I also heard that someone has used a green to deter a bear before.
Can't remember who said that though...:thinking:

I have used my 5w 900lm ebay bought ultrafire flashlight to turn a dog away.
It worked very well and no perm damage.
As for myself I found its impossible too look at and in flash mode its even worse as my eyes are constantly trying to adjust.
Great defense item and safe/legal to carry and use.
If your going to carry a hand held light dazzler make it a good 600+lumen flashlight and keep our laser hobby legal, because when lasers are outlawed you might as well carry an m-16 as a laser-your going to jail either way.

I love nice dogs. I meet them all the time as a real estate appraiser and I usually walk out of the home covered with slobber!!!!
HOWEVER, I'll never give a nasty dog an even break. simply a 380 Hydroshock to the head - BANG -- no regrets. I don't rely on lasers for my protection from anything.

HMike

Rafa

I love nice dogs. I meet them all the time as a real estate appraiser and I usually walk out of the home covered with slobber!!!!
HOWEVER, I'll never give a nasty dog an even break. simply a 380 Hydroshock to the head - BANG -- no regrets. I don't rely on lasers for my protection from anything.

HMike

Yeah but thats not the situation. I don't know if you take guns always with you, but anyway...
Imagine you went with some of your friends to shine your lasers at the sky at night and some dog starts running to you.
You only have the lasers you bring with yourself to point at the sky, What would you do? Wont you even try to scare the dog(s) with the lasers? Honestly, I love animals, but if they run behind me trying to bite me... I would try anything to make them GTFO.

MojoLA

First of all, the odds of some random dog literally just "running at you" ready to attack for no reason is pretty slim. And if it were to happen, it's highly unlikely that aiming a 5mw pointer at it is going to do anything. Even if you managed to shine it right in the dog's eye, given his running and your hand not being 100% steady, it would only make contact for a split second - not enough to even make an animal out for blood even notice.

If this story WERE true, the OP would have been attacked and his laser chewed up.

I suppose it's remotely possible that if you had a 2 or 3W laser that could burn skin on contact, the animal might notice... but again, with that sort of movement, you're not making contact in any one area for very long. And it takes a LOT to disuade an animal hell bent on attacking you to break off.

Again, if you were lucky enough to make laser-eye contact with a 1W or higher it MIGHT notice.... but dogs use their sense of smell far more than eyesight. If you flashed one of his eyes, he might just get madder.

Really, hitting him over the head with a nice, big, heavy laser is the better bet!

Status
Not open for further replies.