Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My laser saved my life!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking up my mates in the night an 2 huge dogs started chasing me! growling an dribbling everywhere started running at me so i pulled out my green laser an shined it on the ones eye an it started yelping an walked offf!

Damn i wish i had an arctic 1W!!

LOL

Did you have to permanently blind it? I mean yea being chased by dogs is probably pretty scary, but many dogs are just as amused by the dot a laser makes that they would be distracted anyway.

Did you have to permanently blind it? I mean yea being chased by dogs is probably pretty scary, but many dogs are just as amused by the dot a laser makes that they would be distracted anyway.

No i didnt want to do it to long so i just give it a quick swipe across his face pretty sure hes fine as he didn run into any thing while running away lol

Pilgor

Not funny, these kind of posts DO NOT belong on this forum.

OK, so all of you are telling me that if you had a choice, you would let the dogs chew you up?
Don't get me wrong... I love animals. But fuck the dog, I'll choose my own safety over a stray (possibly rabid) dog's eyesight any day.

And if you really think a 5-20mW ebay greenie is going to permanently blind an animal within a fraction of a second you are exaggerating greatly.
Any one of you self-righteous laser safety/animal cruelty advocates can GTFO.
Have a good day. :)

Last edited:

Pilgor

I would have probably used my laser as a last resort. I wouldn't be posting topics like this laughing about it. These kind of post just don't belong on this forum.

Wow that's very cool that it worked, I suspected that a laser would only make a dog angry.
I also heard that someone has used a green to deter a bear before.
Can't remember who said that though...:thinking:

Toke

I wonder who let their dogs run loose and threaten people?

There does not seem to be any practical way to ban people from being dog owners. Instead legislation focus on banning the dog races most favoured by the pricks.

No, scaring off dogs with a laser is not a laughing matter, neither is not scaring them off. And if you don't happen to have a 12G, a laser will have to do.

ixfd64

I may be wrong, but I've heard that some animals have a higher threshold for retinal damage associated with laser exposure. For example, cats can supposedly take a brief 50 mW shot to the eye without taking damage, while the threshold is about 15 mw for human eyes.

Last edited:
Indeed a laser pointer can be used as a canine dissuader. And assuming it's not high powered and used from a distance of at least a few meters it's likely not too harmful. This is assuming both beast and man are in motion, and, as you mentioned, it's just a quick swipe.

I'm not advocating animal cruelty. Far better to deter than to get mauled by a dingo or a rogue fido.

Pilgor

I wonder who let their dogs run loose and threaten people?

There does not seem to be any practical way to ban people from being dog owners. Instead legislation focus on banning the dog races most favoured by the pricks.

No, scaring off dogs with a laser is not a laughing matter, neither is not scaring them off. And if you don't happen to have a 12G, a laser will have to do.

That's the point I wanted to get across, I just fail at grammar.

gillza

Ones the dogs are biting into your legs or arms pulling the laser out of your pocket is not an option. If I would be in his situation I would do the same. It is called self defense.

Kevlar

If I had 2 big, stray dogs chasing me and growling, well, its me or the dogs, I say screw the dogs, no matter how its done. Laser, gun, bat, doesn't matter, survival of the fittest but... It certainly is not funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.