Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first Android game

Hello guys!

I recently finished working on my first game for Android called Pyro Shelf. It's a chain-reaction puzzle game and if you are into brain teasers, this can be very addictive :)

It was to fun to learn game programming, but even with my years of programming experience, this wasn't an easy project, it took me over 1000 hours* to produce. I'll appreciate it if you give it a try and give your comments here or on the Android Market. Thank you!

-----
* Yeah, I could have built a kick-ass DPSS laser in that time! :) oh, well...

Website link: Pyro Shelf for Android

NOTE: the game is based on a third-party engine that requires Androind 2.2 or higher and supports only smartphones with ARMv7 CPUs (most of them are, but not all). If you can't see the game in the market, then your device has probably been filtered out as incompatible. To check the list of compatible devices please see this page at mozilla.org:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android (mobile version of Firefox has the same CPU requirements)

Video:

Screenshots:

tscreen01.png
tscreen02.png
tscreen03.png
tscreen04.png

Last edited:

over 1000 hours of programming? I had no idea how hard it is to make something like this. would have bought it if I had an android phone. Well done, seems cool. Any chance you can make a video showing how the game runs? :)

Looks Like Great Game.

Made it For iPhone Too. (I'm iPhone User :p )

Benm

I get an error when i try to download it from the market: 'your device is not compatible with this item'. Does it require anything special?

Thank you for your interest guys!

@Silvershot
I had no idea how hard it is to make something like this
me too :crackup: thankfully... or I wouldn't have started :)
Typically, UI takes a great chunk of time in any end-user application. But for a game, you have to draw it yourself. And this easily took me half of that time, if not more. You really begin to appreciate designers' work. It's a time consuming iterative process where you end up throwing away a lot, leaving only the best art. But there's not only art, but sounds as well. Almost all sounds I managed to find required further editing (trimming, fading, pitch, eq, etc.) to achieve desired effect. Also you have to learn how to use associated programs, workaround game engine bugs or submit them and wait till they are fixed, this takes time too.

Yes, I plan to make a video soon. Probably next week.

@eytyxhs Yes, there will be an iPhone version! I'm going to borrow an iPod Touch from a friend. The game uses a crossplaform engine, so porting is relatively easy.

@Benm Yes, the game is based on a third-party engine that requires Androind 2.2 or higher and supports only smartphones with ARMv7 CPUs (most of them are, but not all). HD tablet version will come later. What device do you have?

Last edited:

Benm

@Benm Yes, the game is based on a third-party engine that requires Androind 2.2 or higher and supports only smartphones with ARMv7 CPUs (most of them are, but not all). HD tablet version will come later. What device do you have?

LG P500 optimus, running android 2.3.3

Benm

Ah well, to bad its not compatible. I just mentioned it because i've never seen that error before when trying to install an app.

vk2fro

Now I wish I didnt put my android phone on ebay once I got my iphone repaired. :(

Its a pity the two arent cross compatible; well at least for apps anyway. Bloody apple

Hi guys,

made a video of the game, as promised. It's a bit basic, as I'm no good in video editing, so it was all taken in one shot with music and outro screen added later in the Movie Maker (this sucker is much better now, btw :) I remember trying it 10 years ago in Windows ME and then haven't opened it for years, LOL :)

Hope you'll like the video. Please see the original post (updated).

nice!! Just downloaded it, love it so far.. will probably end up getting me in trouble at work though, which I will then blame entirely on you. I feel like I should warn you ;).

@ElektroFreak Make sure nobody sees you ;) I don't want to be guilty.

Thanks, glad you enjoy it :)

I do not find this on the android market, I googled it next and found it, it says it is not
compatible (This is on an LG Ally).
I did the same on a motorola defy and it shows up on the market!, I now am downloading it.

This is weird. Why would it showup in the market with one phone and not another?.
I suppose it is some form of protection - but still!

I'll check this out later, thanks vitalyx for the game and good luck

Last edited: