Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my 6X blu-ray sled observs - 295mW !! (then death)

danq

First I must start with a disclaimer: my observations are likely to be crude and unscientfic compared to what others can do - I only have brief times to play with this stuff, often terminated  unexpectedly and abruptly; so am not very organized or methodical.

That said...

The day after Christmas I got a package with 6 sleds - not sleighs - and no reindeer.
They came in individual boxes (the sleds that is), and so far I have only had time to unwrap one - and was a bit surprised to see that the thin metal shielding pieces were dented and scratched up somewhat - used sleds, or from a bin?  but the diodes and optics are in great shape!

The red appears unremarkable... first impressions are that it isn't better than the one in the 4x sled - and possibly not quite as good (yeah I know, 'good' is undefined here). Although it did survive a brief foray into half-amp territory...

The blu-ray is quite nice! To my eye this one is  more blue than the others, really a nice color - but I gather that they vary from diode to diode...

I did some brief current/power tests, without a lens. That's because I had not yet extracted it from its heatsink - only had time to get it out of the sled and hook it up to my power supply and LPM.  Anyway, result was roughly mW out = mA in, quite linear as Igor's graph shows. I took it up to 200mA, got 200mW out (again, no lens there).

And that's as much as I've done so far. More later as I get a chance.

:)
DanQ

danq

Re: my 6X blu-ray sled observations

minor addition (or add-it-on or add-end-dumb):

there are 4 rather nice surface-mount trim pots on the sled - and identicals on the "4X" sleds - they are approximately 700 ohms (my ohmmeter is rather imprecise)
tiny so prob low power but appear to be pretty tough. I'll try to test themmore thoroughly later, they may be useful in some drivers?

adding to the body of knowledge, one toenail at a time
::)
DanQ

Hey nice to see someone with a couple 6x diodes laying around :p. Maybe I am a bit confused but aren't the 6x diodes supposed to be emitting around 200mw@200ma after an acrylic lens? I thought that this was the case, but again I may just be confused atm (just made myself some tacos and tortillas...its siesta time.), and all the blood is in the stomach leaving the brain oxygen deprived.

Post up more of your results as you get them, I can't wait to have a 6x on hand.

Thanks
brtaman

danq

brtaman said:
aren't the 6x diodes supposed to be emitting around 200mw@200ma after an acrylic lens?
yes - generally. But they may be variable and we really don't yet have data on many of them; and my measurements were done under conditions somewhat more compromised than the influence of a good meal ;-)
(wanted to say, "the influence of flatulence" -- 'cause I have a poet's fart heart...)

Will place it in a proper mount with a lens later and do better measurements... but the sun's finally out and I'm mobile today so it'll be later tonight.
DanQ

hey dan when ya going to finish that purple pea site :-?

danq said:
[quote author=brtaman link=1230420648/0#2 date=1230498285]aren't the 6x diodes supposed to be emitting around 200mw@200ma after an acrylic lens?
yes - generally. But they may be variable and we really don't yet have data on many of them; and my measurements were done under conditions somewhat more compromised than the influence of a good meal ;-)
(wanted to say, "the influence of flatulence" -- 'cause I have a poet's fart heart...)

Will place it in a proper mount with a lens later and do better measurements... but the sun's finally out and I'm mobile today so it'll be later tonight.
DanQ[/quote]

Tonight going into tomorrow we expect heavy artillery bombardment on the western front, chemical weapons may be used. This is a warning to all NATO allies in the region of central Europe. This is not a test...I repeat this is not a test of the emergency broadcast system. :)

Yeah I can't wait for the results of these 6x's to start coming in, under better conditions :p.

IgorT

danq said:
I did some brief current/power tests, without a lens. That's because I had not yet extracted it from its heatsink - only had time to get it out of the sled and hook it up to my power supply and LPM.  Anyway, result was roughly mW out = mA in, quite linear as Igor's graph shows. I took it up to 200mA, got 200mW out (again, no lens there).

And that's as much as I've done so far. More later as I get a chance.

DanQ

Dan, i know we all like to torture diodes, but do you really have to overdo it? 200mA with no heatsinking is a bit too much... Once you put it in an AixiZ module with a heatsink, you will find that it's actually quite a bit more powerful, than you think now. ;)

Because my graph does not say I = Po. It says I-Ith = Po. The slope efficiency (efficiency after the threshold) is 1mW per mA (after a plastic lens / more behind it). And that is only true for that one particular diode. Each will be different. But as they seemingly don't have kinks, i already know i will be able to use all of them.

I think you did an unreliable (no lens) measurement of an overheated (no heatsink) diode. I hope you didn't hurt it too much.. Yet..  ::)

It happened to me a couple of times, that i graphed a diode, and select a current from the graph, but the resulting power in a laser was higher than expected. Then i realized the heatsinking in the test setup was not perfect (retaining clip was malfunctioning), and the diode warmed up a bit during the plotting, even more, cos it takes a while to get there. And i will never trust a no lens measurement.

BTW, Dave got 220mW after plastics at 200mA out of an "OOE" 6x. My first did 193mW after plastic at 200mA when new. The datasheet suggests a slope efficiency of 1.3 on average (0.9 min.). I expect them to vary some, but not this much. You should put it into a heatsink first, THEN you can start hurting it. ;) It will actually suffer more once properly heatsinked. I promisse.

P.S. If you want it to last, don't go over 200mW after plastics just yet.

IgorT

danq said:
They came in individual boxes (the sleds that is), and so far I have only had time to unwrap one - and was a bit surprised to see that the thin metal shielding pieces were dented and scratched up somewhat - used sleds, or from a bin?  but the diodes and optics are in great shape!

There is actually a very good reason for that. And if you knew it, you'd ROTFL. But... I'm not supposed to tell.  :-X

Let's just say, that all 6x's from all GB's will be like that, and if they weren't, then we would not be getting any.. Rest assured, the "damage" is only cosmetic in nature.. It's just enough for them not to pass a certain something.

daguin

I've built two of them now into Kryton Grooves.  Both are using a flexdrive set at 200mA.  Both are giving 260mW before optics.  
One is giving 195mW after acrylic (belongs to someone else).  
The other is giving 235mW after a "version #1" custom lens. (mine)  ;)

I've also built a red (for the set) out of one of the long closed cans.  It is getting 500mA out of a flexdrive and putting out 275mW, after AixiZ glass lens

myset.jpg

Peace,
dave

Kenom

Those are some sweet lookin lasers there dave.

daguin

Kenom said:
Those are some sweet lookin lasers there dave.

It is all due to your hard work, Ken.  Thank you.  I keep going back and forth about whether to put the rubbers in or not.  It is a very different look with them in.

Here's a "plain" one with the rubbers in.  It looks pretty cool too
LOOKY HERE STEVE ;)
steves.jpg

I should post these over in the new thread, eh?

Are you home now?  Did you get my package.  I already had it in the mail before I read your post about being "gone."

Peace,
dave

danq

john_lawson said:
hey dan when ya going to finish that purple pea site  :-?
asap - but when that may be, is a big unknown at this time. Was unable to garden this year; actually, have had to prioritize even simple things like doing dishes, cooking, cleaning; and stuff like gardening never even made it near the top, let alone sitting long enough to present it properly on a web page. But may get relief from a procedure coming up soon -- so hoping to get the site, the peas, and maybe distribution all slick this spring. If things go well.

danq

brtaman said:
under better conditions
sounds like you are in the mideast?
leaving the politics aside: take care - and I hope things turn out minimally bad for all of you.

daguin

danq said:
[quote author=brtaman link=1230420648/0#5 date=1230502658]under better conditions
sounds like you are in the mideast?
leaving the politics aside: take care - and I hope things turn out minimally bad for all of you.[/quote]

He's one of IgorT's "neighbors." It's the damned laser central of The Balkans, I tell ya. :p ;D :D

Peace,
dave

danq

consider your words with care tonight Igor, I'm feeling good ;-)

IgorT said:
Because my graph does not say I = Po. It says I-Ith = Po. The slope efficiency (efficiency after the threshold) is 1mW per mA (after a plastic lens / more behind it).
Hey - relax bud, I didn't mean to imply that I=Potato; nor do I think U=Potato ;-)
...and I really do understand about the threshold factor.

And that is only true for that one particular diode. Each will be different.
there's an echo in here... must be that time zone shifting thingy ;-)

I think you did an unreliable (no lens) measurement...
I said that!

...of an overheated (no heatsink) diode. I hope you didn't hurt it too much.. Yet.. ::)
naah -- kept it very brief - short pulses just long enough to get a stable reading, with rests in between to cool down (but not enough to get cold). No hurt.

Enough joking around now - got to clean up around here a bit since I can; then it looks like I'll be able to do some real testing of this diode, with lenses.
Probably will post around midnight, but don't wait up ;-)

DanQ