Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my 6X blu-ray sled observs - 295mW !! (then death)

danq

Re: my 6X blu-ray sled observations

daguin said:
He's one of IgorT's "neighbors."  It's the damned laser central of The Balkans, I tell ya.   :p ;D :D
oh... well if I lived around there, probably would want the biggest IR laser on the block  ::) :p
make that a Phasor and a Transporter...

Daguin
Here's a "plain" one with the rubbers in. It looks pretty cool too
:eek:
That looks extremely cool!

perfect host for... the White Knight!
(future for rog8811's project)

IgorT

danq said:
I think you did an unreliable (no lens) measurement...
I said that!

I had someone going panicky over you getting "too little" power out of an OOE 6x... I had to explain. To them, not to you. ;)

Altho now that i think about it, i would much rather have kept an extra 6x..  ::)

danq

ok - now for a fairly reliable set of numbers - 6X LD in an Aixiz-type mount, with acrylic lens; measured with my DIY LPM with a Coherent thermal head:

mA mW
--- ---
40 5
50 14
60 24
80 47
100 72
120 95
140 116
160 140
180 165
200 191
220 218
240 235
250 246
260 256
280 276
300 295mW !!!

I'll let somebody else break 300 :eek:

danq

Re: my 6X blu-ray sled observations - 295mW !!!

:-/ ummm... don't try 350mA...  :'(

[smiley=evil.gif]
but I skipped 340mA - dare you to try that!

;) ;D :eek: :-? :D

IgorT

daguin said:
I've built two of them now into Kryton Grooves.  Both are using a flexdrive set at 200mA.  Both are giving 260mW before optics.  
One is giving 195mW after acrylic (belongs to someone else).  
The other is giving 235mW after a "version #1" custom lens. (mine)  ;)

200mA --> 195mW after plastics is nearly identical efficiency to my old 6x! :) There are higher efficiency 6x's, but i wonder if there are better 6x's.

GooeyGus told me that it takes 190-210mA to get 200mW out of a 6x through plastics. When i saw it takes mine more, i thought "just my luck, i always get the bad ones", but the "bad one" too so much abuse by now and is still going strong, even tho the efficiency dropped a bit in the meanwhile! :eek:

At this moment it is set to 236mA (it's old, more will be here any day, and i stopped caring), and this beast is putting out 260mW (259-261) through the medium FL/NA final custom lens! That's the lens which clips some of the fast axis and makes the beam roundish and pretty, but with losses of course. And yet it's at 260mW and holding up!

These 6x's are incredibly tough. I am hoping, that my 200mW lifetime tests make me comfortable enough to set them all to 200mW after plastics. If i get 150 hours or more, i'll be VERY happy! ;)

IgorT

danq said:
ok - now for a fairly reliable set of numbers - 6X LD in an Aixiz-type mount, with acrylic lens; measured with my DIY LPM with a Coherent thermal  head:

250    246
260    256
280    276
300    295mW !!!

I'll let somebody else break 300  :eek:

OMG, Dan. You're gonna give people strange ideas. Even if they can be plotted to those powers, doesn't mean they can survive that for any appreciable amount of time.

But see, now that it's properly mounted, your results are consistent with my first 6x... Hmm, i kept saying 6x's would be more consistent than all the other 405nm's we have available. So far it seems to be true, except for one that was much higher in efficiency, which Dave got (if i understood correctly).

What was the heatsinking? I would like to put the numbers into a graph..

P.S. At 295mW after plastic, the raw output was ~384mW!

danq said:
:-/ ummm... don't try 350mA...  :'(

but I skipped 340mA - dare you to try that!

Murderer!

danq

IgorT said:
OMG, Dan. You're gonna give people strange ideas.
nahh - they'll read your warnings, and see that 295 was at the upper limit.

What was the heatsinking? I would like to put the numbers into a graph..
heat sinking? no, it was raising :-?

...but cereally, no raisins - there was just the module, but there was a cooldown period between each test point, and each test was only long enough to get a reading.

it's kind of amazing, given the difference in methods, how generally consistent our results are.

IgorT

danq said:
[quote author=IgorT link=1230420648/20#21 date=1230545625]OMG, Dan. You're gonna give people strange ideas.
nahh - they'll read your warnings, and see that 295 was at the upper limit.[/quote]

That's the strange idea i was talking about, for gawd's sake!  ;D

At 295mW after a plastic lens, there is almost 400mW raw output coming out of the diode, and it is that, which matters, not the power after a plastic lens. And no diode can survive 400mW of optical flux at the die! Maybe long enough for a plot, maybe even for a few hours in a laser, but that's it.

I put your data into a graph. I extrapolated the missing numbers. While doing so, i noticed an upwards going trend. As if the efficiency was climbing, the higher you went. This could be due to wavelength climbing with power (it always does, but here it may have done so more than usual). Then suddenly the efficiency dropped, and i though you found a 6x with a kink. Not that that would surprise me, since you went this high.

But once it was in a graph, it seemed only like efficiency dropping, possibly due to heat raisins. But it's hard to say for sure, due to missing numbers being extrapolateed..

Anyway, this is what your first murder victim looks like in a graph.

P.S. 5 more to go, then you're like GooeyGus - a 6x serial killer... ;)

Attachments

• DANQS_MURDERED_6X_PLOT_-_FIXED.JPG
    DANQS_MURDERED_6X_PLOT_-_FIXED.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 77

IgorT

danq said:
...but cereally, no raisins - there was just the module, but there was a cooldown period between each test point, and each test was only long enough to get a reading.

it's kind of amazing, given the difference in methods, how generally consistent our results are.

Oh, ok, that explains why the graph is a little kinky. But not enough to say it has a kink.

When plotting diodes, i mount them in a special module (where they can be put in and taken out again), mounted to a HUGE heatsink (courtesy of Tallaxo), and i don't let it cool off in between, i just continue uninterrupted. The Diode Analyzer makes it faster, so it doesn't have time to warm up, with the Tallaxo heatsink, definitelly not enough to influence the graph..

Oh, and yeah, consistency so far is incredible.. The small differences are less than one would expect from our meters being off! Unless our meters are off by the exact amounts needed to make the 6x's appear consistent.  :p

danq

Wow - it looks so impressive in a  graph - thanks for the visual, aide! ;-)

and yes, large error bars in mine because done by hand, not steadily and swiftly automated. That's one reason why the matchup is so amazing.

but - murdered? it's not dead yet!
in fact, it's gotten hardier:
it still lases,
and it takes 500mA now!
...to put out 5 mW!
;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D

IgorT

danq said:
Wow - it looks so impressive in a  graph - thanks for the visual, aide! ;-)

but - murdered? it's not dead yet!
in fact, it's gotten hardier: it takes 500mA now!
...to put out 5 mW!
;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D

No Dan, watch out! Shoot it in the head before it eats the brains of your other 6x's!

It's not dead. It's undead! It's a zombie!

Now THAT is a lot of power! All we need now are some lifetime tests to find out the 120mA of 6x diodes!

-Mark

Attachments

• power_001.jpg
    power_001.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 91

Milos

Re: my 6X blu-ray sled observs - 295mW !! (then de

Nice to see more tests done on 6x diodes. I will get some soon and report my findings as well.
Also, cant help thinking that we are reaching the point of being forced to look for glass lenses in metal housing simply because we are getting close to 300mW where structural integrity of acrylic lens should be considered. :) ..he he... maybe not yet, but sti'll i'm happy things are getting there :cool:

thanks Igor and Danq

IgorT

rocketparrotlet said:
Now THAT is a lot of power!  All we need now are some lifetime tests to find out the 120mA of 6x diodes!

-Mark

What do you mean by the "120mA of 6x diodes"? You mean like 120mA for PHRs?

We are assuming 6x's are the 105mW Sharp diode, while the PHR is most likelly a 40-50mW.. The PHR is fairly reliable at 100-120mW, altho some can die even at these "low" powers... But you have to accoun for the 30-40% more power that is there behind a plastic lens as well.

It is quite possible, that a 6x at 200mW after plastic has a similar reliability as a PHR at 100mW. If so, that would be great!

In any case, i finally got my part of the 6x package today, and i'm starting the testing (= diode murdering) now.. ;)

IgorT

Miloš said:
Also, cant help thinking that we are reaching the point of being forced to look for glass lenses in metal housing simply because we are getting close to 300mW where structural integrity of acrylic lens should be considered.  :) ..he he...

I have neglected the forum for the last two months, because it's the end of the year, i have a business to keep afloat, and it always gets the craziest in the end of the year.. Projects to wrap out, paper work and shitloads of work..

But the 400-700nm AR coated single element glass lenses i used in my tests will be available in a GB as soon as i sell the 6x lasers and get the required money together. They will come in metal lens nuts directly from the manufacturer. The short FL one increases the power of a 6x by 23%! The medium FL one increases the power by some 15-16%, because it has a lower NA and clips some of the fast axis, but that's how it makes the beam rounder and the spot prettier.

My old 6x is currently doing 261mW through the medium lens and 278mW through the short FL one! :eek:
(i don't expect it to survive this for too long, but it's a miracle it can do that!)

Kage

Here is a comparison of my first 6X plotted against Igor's original 6X:

This particular diode has very low light leakage compared to the second one I harvested, but the second one is not plotted (yet).

Attachments

• My6xPlot_LD1.gif
    My6xPlot_LD1.gif
    66.9 KB · Views: 54