Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

More Senkat Drama (

and answer them honestly.

were not out to ash you... just help but to help we need you to be honest and explain what you did and we can trouble shoot everything and get you rolling!

Ok First I want to say I am not pointing any fingers. Maybe I am doing something wrong. The directions I used were located on stonetek's website under the diode driver assembly. I was going to link it in here but stonetek's website has been redone and it no longer shows the PDF. It does not even show the items I have purchased from there. First off this is what was performed. We soldered the power cables to the diode driver. we then proceeded to use an LED light which we attached through a series of resistors or capacitors I keep mixing them up since I am new to this. then to the diode driver board. We attached the power supply consisting of 4 AA batteries. We used a multimeter between the see through holes which was in the directions and we got no current going through the driver board. So I am well maybe that one is bad so we did it again to the very next driver board. Again we had zero current. So we head to the store buy brand new batteries thinking maybe that was it. Unfortunately this didnt work either. So now I call up my friend who is more experienced then I am. He brings over his gear and attached the laser diodes to his set up and low and behold no beam of red. And again both LD's did not light up. How hard can it be to make a laser when pretty much all the pieces are pretty much built for ya? Only soldering needed for the power cables and for the test load using the LED. then the LD.? Like I said maybe I am not doing something right here and I really hate to tarnish any rep. I just want to build at least 1 working burning laser.

Ok my bad. My last post I said stonetek redone his website. Whoops I was looking at the wrong site. My bad stonetek.org/shop/images/MDADJinstructions.pdf Here is the address for the directions I followed. I cannot post links so hopefully this address still stays on without linking it

Most unusual --- When Laser Diodes die, the typically turn into red led's.   But yours draw no current at all ??  Both of them ??
Might you have ordered 808nM IR diodes?
Very interesting

Mike

How, exactly, were you measuring current?

Also, what experience does your friend have in building these lasers? How did he test the diodes?

The odds of one of those drivers being bad is very slim, as the person who makes them has been doing it for quite some time now with a very very low error percentage. I could see getting one bad driver, but two bad drivers is next to impossible.

daguin

I'm not sure how patient you (and others) want to be about this.  Step-by-step is how we need to proceed here,  

If you want to fast track the diagnosis part, you can mail the parts to me.  I will pay for the shipping if you are in the US.  

If they are all blown, then we need to go step-by-step through the process to see where it broke down.  If everything is not broken then we can figure it out from there.  It will probably be faster, but you will not get as much  benefit from the investigation this way.

Peace,
dave

Over heating can kill the diode, I have done this before with mine and no light came out of them.

I've assembled a few of these drivers for friends and mine have worked fine. I've tested each of them with a standard multimeter and had them set to whatever my friends wanted them to be @.
Keep in mind i've been soldering for 10+ yrs so expereince plays an important role.

One thing you've gotta watch out for when working close with components like these is the actual heat being conducted from soldering iron to solder to chip. Too hot and you'll potentially damage one of the chips.

You might want to re-examine where you've soldered to verify that you didn't put too much solder on a point that it makes contact on another point.

or

you could have just gotten one piece that is defective, but I dont know.

If you dont know know how to inspect it properly I'd gladdly review it.. just send some nice quality pics of your unit so i can inspect them through here.

Aoi

Stone tek is a fraud. Do not buy from him. He is moderator of these boards and is in cahoot to scam folks out of their money. I tried to work with him and he does not care about his customers well at least this one.

daguin

imntdedyt said:
Stone tek is a fraud. Do not buy from him. He is moderator of these boards and is in cahoot to scam folks out of their money.  I tried to work with him and he does not care about his customers well at least this one.  

Greg has not been a moderator here for a very long time.  His status here has nothing to do with him "scamming" anyone.  I have never heard a report of him scamming anyone.  If that has started we need to KNOW.  The second hand word of unknown people doing unknown actions is NOT enough for us to know.

I am sorry you feel that such an action is needed.  I offered to look at these for you.  I even offered to pay the shipping so that you would not incur any more cost for this.  You decided to take them to still another unknown person and now want to move from "possible defective merchandise" to him being a "fraud."  Of the hundreds of transactions that Greg has done with folk, yours seems completely unique.  

At this point, I am still significantly more inclined to believe that you made a mistake in assembly than I am that Greg sent you four defective products.  Greg doesn't make either of these products.  He is a distributor/retailer.  You are saying that two different manufacturers sent Greg four bad units and you got all four of them.  The odds of that happening are astronomical.  Then instead of sending the units to someone that is truly knowledgeable about the units in question, at no expense to yourself, you decide to go elsewhere and cite yet another unknown source.

Your word in this means absolutely nothing.  The word of unknown sources, performing unknown actions, and reported second hand means nothing.  I repeat my offer.  I will pay the shipping for the units.  I will test them and post my opinion.  If they are still salvageable, I will help get you back on track.  If they are bad, I will not hesitate to post that info.  Whether Greg will work with you or not is really not a question in this offer.  The community needs to know if the products are reliable or not.

Peace,
dave

I've bought from StoneTek before.. infact... most of his stuff helped me build my first blu-ray pen style laser

I wouldn't call him a fraud considering that all the parts received from him have worked.
You may have just received a defective unit.

I've also bought from him before. He was very nice and sent everything exactly as promised. The products were very good.

As Daguin said, it's very unlikely that 4 products from 2 different manufacturers will all be defective. The only reason to that I can think of is that everything has bee handles VERY roughly in the shipping. But I don't find that very likely either.

And it's not fair to call somebody a fraud, when you aren't even sure that the products are defective.

I recently ordered items from Stone Tek. My products arrived within a week and were very well packaged and were exactly as i had ordered. I found his business to be very prompt and accurate. The items came inside small zip lock baggies (no sensitive electronic equipment or diodes were ordered) and the baggies were placed into a standard small "bubble-ope". No obvious mistreatment of the package by USPS was noted! I most certainly WILL be ordering from Stone Tek again!

Ted

imntdedyt said:
Stone tek is a fraud. Do not buy from him. He is moderator of these boards and is in cahoot to scam folks out of their money.  I tried to work with him and he does not care about his customers well at least this one.  

Only 5-posts on this forum, and all pointed to defaming a respected member of our community, seemingly without basis.

I invite you to make a clear-case, backed by independent observation, (see Daguin's post), or do please remain silent!
This community is based on contributions, what do you have?
DH

jayrob

imntdedyt, Greg is a known, 'stand up' business man.

Diodes are very sensitive. Even experienced builders will accidentally kill a diode once in a while. Chances are, (because your new), you most likely killed the diodes. The other possibility is, they may still be good, and you don't have everything connected properly.

Because diodes are so sensitive, I don't sell diodes (except in complete laser builds). I would sell sleds, that the buyer would harvest. But diodes can die even from ESD from the tip of your finger.

As was stated. It is next to impossible that all 4 components were bad...
Jay

Hi there, I'm in Devon, uk, I bought two kits some lenses and a diode in housing, this was several weeks ago, the stuff came fairly quickly :) but i had some components in one kit (full diode driver kit) that were different and later i found one was totally wrong and another bit i thought must be an odd freebee as it did not resemble anythink in the kit :-?,
Oh and i did not get the diode data sheet, so i still do not know for sure what i can do if i finnish ::)

In the other kit (test load kit) a diode was missing, I cannot get bits in england without buying a thousand of each. :(
After emailing greg a lot, in his innitial email his wording sounded a bit like i must have screwed up and could i send him pics of my work and detailed exp about bits, :-[ it took a week before i could find a digital cam that could photograph the almost finnished kit and see what was done (no macro), but i did it after a lot of trial.
One component he said had been changed by supplyer which i was really pleased about, but then in the same email he did not mention the other bits and i had to keep emailing, I still am!
All i need is a cer cappacitor and a little standard diode, worth almost nothing but dispite a lot of detailed emails he has not helped other than say one bit was ok it just was not in the photos or the kit description was supposed to be 75ohm resistor i got one with 2210 on it he said it was a replacement from the supplier.
I am alittle unsure whether the one ceramic capacitor (red oxide in colour) is the input or output one as there was only one. I have nothing to test a capacitor, i am hoping it will just work out...that may be silly but as i cannot get any sence fron stone tek i just hope they will send me anything. This is my first laser build which makes it very frustrating, 'I thought great :) buy all the bits i need then hey presto after some work i will have my fist diy laser' , now a month or so after completing all except the few bits i did not have and i cannot finnish / get the bits.
I am not in a hurry to say i've been ripped off, i expect greg has a lot on his plate and mabe he needs staff? But for the cost involved it seems really silly not to just post me the bits and let me finnish, i have comply'd with his requests and patiently waited in between emails.. I see greg has very little to gain from not sending the bits? especially not financially, i have offered to send the odd bits back to him if that would help, the envelope would cost more than the bits (i think) :-/

If anyone feels charitable i would be happy to pay for bits if anyone else has spare bits?

The stupidest thing i've thought is that if i'd succesfully built the project i'd have immediately bought another from greg, just now i think that MAY be risky?

I am open to suggestions......?

stuart