Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mitsubishi ML520G54 - 110mW SM 635nm $60

AnthoT

This is kind of neat.

We've got a single mode 635 nm that corresponds with the 635 nm, like how the 450 nm single mode blue corresponds with the 445 nm multimode blue.

It's nice to be able to choose between power or beam specs. :D

I agree :beer: its quite nice. my next build is likely either a 515nm diode build or a 635nm 300mw. but these are nice since i love round dots as well :D

For when these run out, I found these for another $10 more Also (for me anyway) their low current needs will be very helpful for a very compact build, less heatsinking that way. Nice find!

I just did a quite murder test on one of these.

200mA 105mW
300mA 135mW
400mA 148mW
410mA LED

Boring - not exciting.

Thanks for testing +1
Not much benift going past 200 :(

Hows the beam specs?
That with G1 or 3 element or acrylic?

Last edited:

rhd

Thanks for testing +1
Not much benift going past 200 :(

Hows the beam specs?
That with G1 or 3 element or acrylic?

3E

Beam specs are as you'd expect - it's a single mode red. Awesome.

Boring diode though. Indistinguishable at 100mW from a LOC at 300mW. Not worth the many-multiples higher price.

Blord

Thanks for testing it out. Did you also measure the wavelength of the diode in the killing process ?

DJNY

I just did a quite murder test on one of these.

200mA 105mW
300mA 135mW
400mA 148mW
410mA LED

Boring - not exciting.

Are you kidding? Guess you´re too spoiled from the other 638´s?

If we can keep these at very low temperature, with a TEC f.i., they should lase at 633-635nm in SINGLE MODE.
(Very) visible difference next to the LOCs.

I´m damn interested in these :)

rhd

Are you kidding? Guess you´re too spoiled from the other 638´s?

If we can keep these at very low temperature, with a TEC f.i., they should lase at 633-635nm in SINGLE MODE.
(Very) visible difference next to the LOCs.

I´m damn interested in these :)

No, I'm serious.

When you consider that they're ~$60, and for somewhere around $100 we should be able to get the versions that do almost twice as much current, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's really not going to be as bright as we can push a LOC.

So sure, if you want to TEC it, maybe you can keep it at 633. But that argument makes a lot of less exciting diodes cooler ;) If you want to TEC a multimode 635, you'll get some interesting results, or for that matter, if you TEC one of the 180mW single mode reds from Mitsubishi, it will be REALLY awesome.

I guess my point is -
Sure, you could make this diode cool by TECing it. But for the price and complication of TECing a build, you'd be a million times further ahead to spend the extra $50 and get the better version that will give you superior results without the complexity or expense of a TEC build.

If I may chime in, based on your $60 vs $100 logic, does that make the 300mw mitsu's obsolete due to the release of the 500mw version capable of hitting 1W+, for another ~$50? I don't mean to argue, but for me this is nice. Like an 8X vs a 12X back when we only had 205's for $200+. It's a nice cheap diode for a nice red, visible beam. Just my $0.02.

Also, what "cool" things take place after TEC'ing a multimode 300mw and mitsu 180?

No, I'm serious.

When you consider that they're ~$60, and for somewhere around $100 we should be able to get the versions that do almost twice as much current, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's really not going to be as bright as we can push a LOC.

So sure, if you want to TEC it, maybe you can keep it at 633. But that argument makes a lot of less exciting diodes cooler ;) If you want to TEC a multimode 635, you'll get some interesting results, or for that matter, if you TEC one of the 180mW single mode reds from Mitsubishi, it will be REALLY awesome.

I guess my point is -
Sure, you could make this diode cool by TECing it. But for the price and complication of TECing a build, you'd be a million times further ahead to spend the extra $50 and get the better version that will give you superior results without the complexity or expense of a TEC build.

I'd rather pay more to have something that is just as bright and have a lower output. I'd go for a MM if I wanted a lot of red burning power.

DTR

Well I took the plunge on these and will have some in stock next week for $50. Hope they are not too boring.:tinfoil:

rhd

It's a nice cheap diode for a nice red, visible beam. Just my $0.02.

But it's not though.

100mW of 638 vs 350mW of 658 is a complete toss up.

Forget my comparison of this diode versus the 180s, by your logic, we should be insanely excited about LPC-815 diodes! Heck, $8 is better than $60 right, and an LPC-815 has equal visibility / beam specs.

But it's not though.

100mW of 638 vs 350mW of 658 is a complete toss up.

Forget my comparison of this diode versus the 180s, by your logic, we should be insanely excited about LPC-815 diodes! Heck, $8 is better than $60 right, and an LPC-815 has equal visibility / beam specs.

I didn't say we need to be all excited and jumping and jiving left and right, but it's not some boring discovery either. I feel it has equal place in this hobby as do others. There's nothing wrong with lower powered diodes, I still find perfect use for PHR's, AW210's, and all the other lower powered 405's. Just because higher powers are available, does not render the lower outputting diodes useless and boring.

Last edited:

rhd

I didn't say we need to be excited, but it's not some boring discovery, I feel it has equal place in this hobby as do others. There's nothing wrong with lower powered diodes

And I didn't say there was anything wrong with the diode, did I?

I'm not excited by it, it's not interesting to me. I told you that I found this diode boring. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that I'm wrong - that I didn't find it boring - I guess you're a better gauge of my state of mind than me?

SOMEONE: "This roller coaster isn't pumping my adrenaline"
SOMEONE'S FRIEND: "Yes it is, let me tell you why"

Last edited:
And I didn't say there was anything wrong with the diode, did I?

I'm not excited by it, it's not interesting to me. I told you that I found this diode boring. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that I'm wrong - that I didn't find it boring - I guess you're a better gauge of my state of mind than me?

SOMEONE: "This roller coaster isn't pumping my adrenaline"
SOMEONE'S FRIEND: "Yes it is, let me tell you why"

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong, I just feel that we shouldn't disregard these diodes simply because there are better ones at a price. You're free to not find them exciting, I'm just saying let's not cut off these diodes too short.