Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mitsubishi-G84-638nm-2500mW-Laser-Diode

Feel bored another day so I cracked one to look inside:

QQ20150413221731_zpsn5w12rh8.jpg

QQ20150413221702_zpscsaxis6f.jpg

QQ20150413221744_zpsv185chpe.jpg

As a known fact, two emission sources.....
Do you mind if i put those on the wiki? If your ok with it, what liscense should i put it under?

Found my diode on the floor with the pins smashed to the casing, but with the window still intact. D: I threw it in a 9mm module and gave it some juice...and a flood of red photons filled my desk. :D This poor diode has been through a lot, but has kept on kicking!

This diode was clearly extracted from something as the pins are covered in solder and even the back casing of the diode has stuff on it. I wonder if there are some projectors out there using these for red light.

Found my diode on the floor with the pins smashed to the casing, but with the window still intact. D: I threw it in a 9mm module and gave it some juice...and a flood of red photons filled my desk. :D This poor diode has been through a lot, but has kept on kicking!

This diode was clearly extracted from something as the pins are covered in solder and even the back casing of the diode has stuff on it. I wonder if there are some projectors out there using these for red light.

Apparently they come from some sort of scanner. Past that no one apparently knows enough to tell me what they actually come from. I assume some sort of industrial bar code scanner, but 2W seems a bit extensive!

edit: look at this. What kinda idiot puts a diode in a plastic bag?! I hope no one buys from that seller, because I don't see how the diode would survive. That's static hell in that little bag.

Last edited:
^That is exactly how O-like packaged my diode!! I don't know how it survived.

Apparently they come from some sort of scanner. Past that no one apparently knows enough to tell me what they actually come from. I assume some sort of industrial bar code scanner, but 2W seems a bit extensive!

edit: look at this. What kinda idiot puts a diode in a plastic bag?! I hope no one buys from that seller, because I don't see how the diode would survive. That's static hell in that little bag.
That may be the bag it came in... (it is) and i may have been planning to ship it in an antistatic bag when someone bought it... but thanks for the feedback lol

Oh also i have emailed them 3 times about what it was extracted from but they "dont know"

Last edited:

APEX1

Why would you put it in a plastic bag though? I refuse to believe you didn't know it could kill the diode, especially when you put it in what ever you decide to ship it out in??? No disrespect! :thinking:

Oh, thats you? Why are you auctioning off uour diode?

Seriously, do __not__ put diodes in plastic bags or any containers that arent explicitly labeled as "antistatic." Have you tested that diode, or are you just assuming it works?

Why would you put it in a plastic bag though? I refuse to believe you didn't know it could kill the diode, especially when you put it in what ever you decide to ship it out in??? No disrespect! :thinking:

None taken lol i relize i should have photographed it in the bag it would be in, these are the only pictures i have of it, i took them as soon as it arrived i do know that could kill the diode which is why its not in that anymore

Pman

How come you are sling it? Just looking to make a few bucks?

Without me looking back through everything, is it weird in any way trying to focus this diode? How close are the dots at say 6"?
This diode seems more interesting to me than the new nasty blue. Everything else is so much the same ole stuff. I now have a bunch of hosts from small to large thanks to Ehg making me a bunch of custom heat-sinks and no diodes to throw in them. I'm tempted to sell all of my 510 hosts and use the modules in them.
Pete has a hard time with empty hosts awaiting builds. Thought I was really going to get into the 510 stuff more but for some reason they didn't catch on the way I expected them too. Ugh, I should just start selling my focusable pens and custom 532nm stuff officially in the BST thread. My pricing would be far better than I see most sell their stuff for. Anyone interested in nice looking 532nm builds +&- 100mW or my focusable way overspec pens let me know. Anyone that owns them are very pleased with them. Way more entertaining than you would ever expect and the 532nm stuff have such nice thin beautiful beams.
I also need to post some of my builds. I must have over 20 since the last time I posted any.

Last edited:
How come you are sling it? Just looking to make a few bucks?

Without me looking back through everything, is it weird in any way trying to focus this diode? How close are the dots at say 6"?
This diode seems more interesting to me than the new nasty blue. Everything else is so much the same ole stuff. I now have a bunch of hosts from small to large thanks to Ehg making me a bunch of custom heat-sinks and no diodes to throw in them. I'm tempted to sell all of my 510 hosts and use the modules in them.
Pete has a hard time with empty hosts awaiting builds. Thought I was really going to get into the 510 stuff more but for some reason they didn't catch on the way I expected them too. Ugh, I should just start selling my focusable pens and custom 532nm stuff officially in the BST thread. My pricing would be far better than I see most sell their stuff for. Anyone interested in nice looking 532nm builds +&- 100mW or my focusable way overspec pens let me know. Anyone that owns them are very pleased with them. Way more entertaining than you would ever expect and the 532nm stuff have such nice thin beautiful beams.
I also need to post some of my builds. I must have over 20 since the last time I posted any.

Yeah i would love to make something on it, but i also realized i still am terrible at drivers and dont have any idea what i would use it for lol

i wondering if using a wider lens with the correct focal length could eventually (at the right size) collimate this diode into 1 beam?

Yeah the packaging is utter garbage they didnt even bother with an antistatic bag...

I'm also disappointed in the way some of the diodes and drivers I receive come wrapped in white foam wrap, it's not anti-static! Many think just because they don't have a failure out of the box from diodes or circuit boards wrapped that way there was no problem. I don't necessarily believe it, static damage can occur and you don't even know it, a failure can happen hours, days, weeks later due to static damage and never be blamed on the use of that stuff to wrap our electronics in.

Last edited:

Benm

Static could certainly damage a diode to a point where it still "works", but not at optimum performance.

I have no idea why o-like package laser diodes this badly. The material isn't even anti-static (like the pinkish plastic bags) where it should be esd protective (like the mettalized baggies).

Cost could hardly be a reason - these bags cost 5 cents or so if you buy 100 of them, considerably less in bulk. I can see how that factors in for a $1 shipped "thingy", but for a $100+ laser diode it's nothing. Charge an extra dollar if you must ;)

And it's not that they do not know about this in china or something, most sensitive stuff (microcontrollers, wifi modules etc) you buy from ebay come shipped in a proper esd protective bag. Perhaps this is due to negative feedback given from people that got electrocuted devices delivered in the past.

My diode is behaving very oddly...don't know if this is a sign of imminent death or not as I have never seen this before...

I was running the diode at 2.5A (direct from my PSU, shorted before applying power) for something like a minute and it dimmed out to nearly no output over a period of a few seconds. But, when I give it juice again, it runs at apparently full power for about 10 or 15 seconds before dimming out again. The voltage of my PSU is set well above the forward voltage of the diode so that isn't the problem.

I don't have my LPM on hand so I can't tell if there has been a change in output power, but the raw output has nothing odd in it compared to when I first powered it up.

Weird.

From the datasheet and the graph on the datasheet it looks like these are really made for pulsed operation. I wouldn't be surprised if they act strange when run CW.

From the datasheet: It looks like 2.8A at 25C should give 2.5W at 30% duty cycle. That is only .84A average and .75W average.

These may not like CW operation at high currents.

Last edited:
Yeah my setup is definitely far from optimum, and the operation is definitely not pulsed, but I've just never seen a laser diode behave like this before. Usually when a LD dims out it is either dead, or for the case of the indestructible blue LDs, at too high of current.

Edit: Oh, and my laser diode spits out three beams, not two!

Last edited: