Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mitsubishi 635nm diode divergence at 350 feet

Hi, can I ask how big is the other red "dot"? Looks like about 1" diameter? Is there anything available "off the shelf" that can achieve this?

The single-mode 635nmn OptNext diodes from o-like will produce a very low divergence beam just like that. They're a tad more expensive than the LPC red diodes that are used in the laser in the video though: Opnext HL6385DG 642 nm 150 mW Red Laser Diode/Single mode [OL-HL6385DG] - $138.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Also, most of the 200mW class DVD burner-based laser pointer imports such as the "dilda" also produce very nice beams.

The single-mode 635nmn OptNext diodes from o-like will produce a very low divergence beam just like that. They're a tad more expensive than the LPC red diodes that are used in the laser in the video though: Opnext HL6385DG 642 nm 150 mW Red Laser Diode/Single mode [OL-HL6385DG] - $138.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Also, most of the 200mW class DVD burner-based laser pointer imports such as the "dilda" also produce very nice beams.

Thanks, do you know of any importers of the Dilda pointer in the UK? Nothing on UK ebay using "Dilda" as the search. Are there any vendors on this forum?

Benm

To date I've never had anyone say "hey that's a weird dot".... I think we're just a bit anal about these kinds of things.

It depends on the range you point it at. When i point a 445 at a building half a mile away, anyone looking at the result will say it is a line, dot a dot at all. By the looks of things the line from the 638 is about 3 times as long.

I suppose caring about any of this comes down to you application: If you're using it to create beamshows it won't matter very much, but if you try to project something a few 100 feet away it may already be problematic.

I just recieved my 635 mitshu diode build from forum member rhd that does 500mW and it's foggy here now outside... It's absolutely fabulous. :wave:

Cheers.

cizCs.jpg

EkOI1.jpg

9NlB5.jpg

Cheers

Nice! Doesn't really look like a flashlight beam.. nice and narrow.

Last edited:
Nice! Doesn't really look like a flashlight beam.. nice and narrow.

I think it depends on how you hold the laser and from what angle you take the picture... or it comes becouse this laser has adjustable focus.
But the beam is a Line not a dot for sure.

Last edited:

Ash

Yeah,... If you are pointing at things from close it really is a nice bright solid beam.
-note: this is the same laser as in the video-
AshMade365mW635nm.jpg

AshMade365mW635nmmacro.jpg

But even at around 20 feet, when you are beside the beam, it really is flat. This video shows that well:

Great little hosts... I have one lying around somewhere. the clip is kind of flimsy though, and I'm pretty sure the stock tailcap is a very ugly orange.