Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini-review 50mW Green module from Fasttech

IsaacT

Is it possible the crystals got misaligned? Look at where the dot should be through a camera. If you see a white dot in the camera then it means all u r getting is infrared.

Is it possible the crystals got misaligned? Look at where the dot should be through a camera. If you see a white dot in the camera then it means all u r getting is infrared.

I've unscrewed the different parts of the module and everything is still epoxied in place. I've seen green lasers burn out before. That's exactly what happened here.

Pman

Stinks. Happens though. Thought I would have my 2 modules by now but maybe tomorrow.

Yeah. I'm not even mad. It was only $10, and they're letting me return it. I've had much more expensive lasers die and lost my investment completely.

Would love to see a picture of your module. I assume you soldered a spring on the end for battery contact wonder if it shorted out in the pen?

I did solder a spring but it was from another green laser. It's dead center and soldered very securely. I don't think it was anywhere near touching the inside of the pen. Also, it was in use when it first dropped in power. It didn't blink off for a moment which would have been evidence of a short. One module failed. No biggie. I don't want to turn this thread into negative feedback for FastTech. They are taking care of the problem. I'll report back when I get my replacement.

Well I'm also not trying to make this a negative tread as well, but where trying to determine if it was a user error or the module its self. I've have about 15 of these module and been the only one with a bad on so far and it was still working just very under spec. And even my oldest is still working about spec. I do know first had if you overturn the pot it will start out bright and drop power within a second. And if your luck you can turn it back to restore power. And you said you didn't touch the pot before placing it in your unit so that rules that out!

Nice review Blord I just ordered a 100mw violet for 9.34 from fasttech..sweet,I love a bargain.I'm hoping it will drop right into my 50mw 532nm(host).Got it off fleabay for 15.00 shipped.Do you think the al collar is enough of a heat sink for a 100mw?

Attachments

• Photo304.jpg
    Photo304.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Photo305.jpg
    Photo305.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

IsaacT

Should be. I run my PHR 405nm build at 125mA, so ~100mW, and I don't heatsink it other than the aixiz module...bad practice, of course, but it has to run for over 5 minutes to get hot.

I have 10 more of these things in the mail as we speak..... don't ask me what I am doing with all of them I couldn't tell you but i got some nice builds in mind ;)

Last edited:

IsaacT

Just out of curiousity....the module I got has the beam going out at a very noticeable angle...is anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks,
isaac

Yeah, I thought it was just me having the module in crooked... but now that I funk about it.

IsaacT

I actually removed my module and unscrewed the back, and even without all the unnecessary optics, I still get a crooked beam coming out at maybe 5 degrees off where it should be? So my guess is that the crystal the diode is pumping got epoxied in slightly crooked, or maybe the wavelength doubling crystal....either way, probably just a result of how cheap it is. If we wanted QC, we would pay more.

haven't really noticed that. and if that is the module that came out of your host, that looks like a 13mm module and the fasttech module is 12mm!

IsaacT

haven't really noticed that. and if that is the module that came out of your host, that looks like a 13mm module and the fasttech module is 12mm!

Are you referring to the module I mentioned? Because it was definitely from Fasttech.... :thinking:

no i was saying that my modules all seam fine from fasttech and to Phoebus that looks like a 13mm module, like from a pen laser.