Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini-review 50mW Green module from Fasttech

IsaacT

Hey awillis, I saw your review beneath the plastic tripod....thinking about getting it but does fasttech also sell a clamp or a holder? And if so, does it have a max diameter?

Thanks,
Isaac

EDIT: Also, are the panasonic cells on their site authentic? I got my 18650's from LarryDFW, but these are half the price of his....

Last edited:

Blord

Hey pyro - i have a couple of questions about this. First, is the "after pot mod" reading taken at startup or after warming up? Secondly, was 60 ma the amount that you felt safe increasing the current by, the amount that it COULD be increased by, or the amount needed to attain maximum mw from the laser? Thanks! I've been away for a long time, but this module was such a steal I had to have it. Mine should be here any day.

60mA is an average. Some module won't increase in output when the pot is turned up and others show a minor increase.
I think most modules are set a the maximum output.

Hey awillis, I saw your review beneath the plastic tripod....thinking about getting it but does fasttech also sell a clamp or a holder? And if so, does it have a max diameter?

Thanks,
Isaac

EDIT: Also, are the panasonic cells on their site authentic? I got my 18650's from LarryDFW, but these are half the price of his....
Unfortunately they don't have the clamps for the tripods. I put in a request for them to carry them but they have yet to add them. So I have to get mine from DX.

As for the Panasonic cells yes they are authentic. Yeah at that price I've bought about a dozen. They work great in all my flashlights as well as my few lasers that run off 18650 cells. I'm considering using more boost drive setups just because I can get these battery's so cheap!

60mA is an average. Some module won't increase in output when the pot is turned up and others show a minor increase.
I think most modules are set a the maximum output.

When you say turned up, do you mean physically all the way up, or just until maximum brigtness is obtained? Sorry for the silly inquiry. I just don't want to break it because I didn't understand.

Last edited:

IsaacT

If you haven't pot modded your unit, I would recommend only turning it up about 1/8th of a turn. I turned mine a little bit more than that and actually had to turn it down a hair to get the best brightness. It doesn't need much turning. A little goes a long way.

If you haven't pot modded your unit, I would recommend only turning it up about 1/8th of a turn. I turned mine a little bit more than that and actually had to turn it down a hair to get the best brightness. It doesn't need much turning. A little goes a long way.

Ok. I get it now. Thanks!

Gun

I'm getting the 30mW fasttech module for my first build. How do you think that will perform and does it really matter that there's no IR filter?

Thanks,
Gun

Well seeing that the 50mW are so much more powerfully it wouldn't supprise me if the 30 was actually 50.

You could unscrew the module and insert an IR filter if your worried about it, but from the reports I've been given they're fairly low IR output.

Gun

Well seeing that the 50mW are so much more powerfully it wouldn't supprise me if the 30 was actually 50.

You could unscrew the module and insert an IR filter if your worried about it, but from the reports I've been given they're fairly low IR output.

Oh sweet :). Yeah I don't think I'll worry about it, everyone else doesn't seem to :p.

Well I got mine in and managed to put it in my dead o-like chrome pen. The hard part was grinding down the metal button to allow for the taller button on the module. It was so bright I didn't even worry about pot modding it. It lived for about 2 minutes. :( I never ran it more than 10 seconds at a time. I must have just gotten a dud. I've contacted FastTech. To those who bought several modules to test - would any of you be willing to sell me one of yours? (If you live in the states that is) I'm not looking forward to waiting another 10 days for my replacement. I'm not the most patient person I know.

Last edited:
Is there no output at all? Maybe the button slipped did you take it apart and test that the module isn't working?

I tried everything including wiring it up outside of the host. And I tried adjusting the pot (after it died). It died gradually. We were outside with it at night and after being on for about 2 seconds it instantly dropped to about 1/4 power. Then it got dimmer and dimmer until there was no output. Something definitely burned out.

Last edited:
wierd because i was the only so far to have a bad one and it still output some green light but just barely!

IsaacT

We're the batteries good? And did you put them in the right way?

We're the batteries good? And did you put them in the right way?

Yeah... brand new batteries didn't help, and correct polarity. I found a spot on the pot where I get a super faint dot. Paging Dr. Seuss. It's about as bright as a 5mw RED laser, and even that fades away after a few seconds.

Last edited: