Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Meta Topic : Pinout & Performance of actual LD

Meta Topic : Pinout & Performance of actual LD

Hello all ! :yh:
Here is a topic which collect all the usefull information on this forum in order to spare time ! i Ctrl-c most of the topic of members, hope there is no copyright :thinking:
To move right/left on image, left clik on the image then use keyboard arrow to move Thanks to all which provide these ! :beer:

humxl1.png

The term Relative brigthness refers to the visibility compared to the 555 nm peak of human vision; the factor compares the brightness to that of an older 670 nm pointer. Note that visual perception of brightness is not linear. Thus, a 1 mW 532 nm green laser pointer isn't actually going to appear 28 times brighter than a 1 mW 670 nm red model. What it means is that a 1 mW green pointer will appear similar in brightness to a 28 mW 670 nm red one (if such a thing existed).
bighn3.jpg

For low pump power of 808 nm (mean <1W range), the maximal optical-to-optical conversion efficiency is equal to ~60 %(Nd:YVO4) for 808@1064 and ~80% (KTP) 1064@532 nm.
See http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=40425

Pinout & Performance of laser's diode
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Red Laser diode

redub9.jpg

pioneer112dopencanlaserqy3.png

test was done with a good heatsinking

A general graph about most common red diode :
redroundupod4.png

small graph in right :
Greg at StoneTek sent me a sample of his new red laser diode offering for me to test. *This is his new SLD1239JL-54 diode.
The testing was done using an Aixiz housing and no TEC cooling. *A current limited power supply was used for constant current plus an LPM-1 power meter with an ND-8 filter.
The current was ramped up as shown on my "old school" * graph at the bottom. *Current was increased to 420 mA but it was found that anything over 400 mA only produces more heat. *The curve gets very flat at the top.
I ran the diode for a total of 14 hours at 400 mA in 4 sessions (4,4,3,3 hours) and noticed no degredation in power out or beam quality. *The power stayed at 240 mW +/- 3 mW during the test.
opencanef5.png

opencanshortzk1.png

Update 2012 : Check ML501P73 Mitsubishi 638nm 500mW Diodes
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IR Laser diode
Its seems that Ir diode from DVD burner have inverse pinout that the picture below watch out !
irai2.jpg

808ui0.jpg

Stenkat’s Ir ’s diode
These diodes are standard size but have no window and SenKat says they are rated at 200 mW. *I mounted the first one in an Aixiz style module for testing through a plastic lens assembly. *Testing is made here with no TEC cooling, regulated power supply and a Scientech 365 power meter. *Current increments are made at 20 mA intervals and the diode gave me about 15 mW per 20 mA step right to the top. *
I stopped my testing at 0.500 AMPS !!!! *Reading 374 mW !!!!
Now the bad news ---- As you all recall from the modding days, go over 300 mA and you're risking your diode. *I ran this diode later at 400 mA (270 mW) for a life test. *It was fun burning stuff for about 25 minutes * *
The second diode has been run for over 4 hours at 200 mW (320 mA) showing no degredation in power out. *
This is a good little diode for those of you wanting to experiment with IR or give life to that poor old greenie you toasted. StoneTek tells me he has a limited qualtity of these and for a price far less than ebay.

Blue ray laser diode 405 nm

brde9.jpg

diodebluroundupjx5.png

phr803txx6.gif

I initially posted this graph in the Group Buy thread where I bought the diodes.
The four of my 803T diodes performed quite differently
graph3allps4.png

The 3 weak one are Kes400A. See this thread : http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214268330/60#72
redpinoutwd9.jpg

As these are not DVD burner drives, I already seem to have overdriven the red LD. I was ramping up the source voltage when the LD got brighter then suddenly went dim and I couldn't get it back to the brightness it was at before. I didn't see exactly how much current was going through it, but I would estimate it to be just over 50mA. Don't exceed this amount for either diode and you should be able to build a small pointer using the red diode.

Useful information from IgorT :
So.. I tested 23 PHR 803T diodes..
Here are the powers i got.. Next to them the final power at 125mA for those i turned into lasers or modules so far:

@109mA *@125mA (unless mentioned otherwise)
- 76mW - 132mW (at 179mA first test module) - 139mW (at 191mA - now dead after being left on for an hour at 191mA)
- 83mW
- 96mW - 138mW (at 143mA - testing first higher current setting) - 166mW (at 160mA, testing second higher setting) Nice power, more efficient, than expected!
- 85mW
- 101mW - 172mW (at 169mA).. Worked for two weeks, dropped a few mW on one day and died next day, when i made it cold during testing and output was the highest
- 102mW - 190mW (at 178mA *fourth test module) now 183mW (at 169mA - this diode is the real freak! Died at 169mA) - at 178mA, this poor diode was doing 228mW before optics! *
- 92mW - 110mW
- 95mW - 111mW
- 93mW - 107mW
- 91mW - 119mW (at 128mA)
- 99mW - 121mW (later misteriously changing into 112mW - i think it has something to do with ambient temperature, or switching lens maybe)
- 92mW - 107mW
- 82mW - 102mW (second test module - will be set to a high current, and left on)
- 88mW
- 76mW - (third test module, not testing yet)
- 96mW - 111mW
- 94mW - 111mW
- 105mW - 128mW (later 145mW at 143mA, but now 159mW at 172mA, and today suddenly 167mW! UPDATE: Now 186mW at 187mA! Died at 187mA)
- 98mW - 114mW
- 95mW - 111mW
- 89mW
- 91mW - 108mW
- 93mW - 114mW (another surprising result.. maybe the 109mA measurement was somewhere inside the "knee")

Six more diodes received and tested:

@109mA *@125mA
- 93mW - 114mW (interesting..)
- 84mW
- 91mW
- 94mW - 114.5mW (114-115mW)
- 81mW
- 69mW ( the lowest before was 76mW.. i repeated this test 4 times to make sure, and it's correct)
XBox360 HD DT0811 sled 's graph :
xbox360hddt0811cu8.jpg

from gillza :
405md.jpg

High Powered diode : GGW H20L, Nichia diode from o-like.com

6X_vs_Nichia_001.jpg

120MW_NICHIA_DIODE_PIV_PLOT_-_LR.jpg

Old_6x_Diode_PIV_Plot_-_LR.jpg

Both the old and new 6x's are GGW-H20L. Igor is referring to the degrading 6x he has had for a long time.

Safe current for a GGW 6x : 190 mA. To increase dramatically the power for all of 405 nm diode by 30 % see the jayrob thread about coated lens for 405 nm, and for red too (post of LarryDFW), link below

lensdiagram.jpg

Glass%20405nm7.jpg

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237515270
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237553950

NICHIA 1W laser diode 445 nm
pinout3.JPG

They come from a line of Casio "beamer" projectors, the XJ-AXXX line (the most common diodes are referred to as XJ-A140 after the projector model they are harvested from). Each projector contains 24 (no typo) 1W+ 445nm diodes in 5.6mm cases, not c-mount. They fit in Aixiz modules and are very easily collimated given the fact that they are multimode. They are extremely forgiving multimode diodes, capable of 1.8mrad x .5mrad using a simple Aixiz glass blu-ray lens.
from ElektroFreak.

445spec.JPG

Original output power in projector: >600mW
445.JPG

graph44.jpg

quote from famous lpf menbers:
It is your choice how hard you choose to push the limits on these diodes - you need to know that pushing them beyond one Watt of output seriously limits the lifetime of them, and I have personally seen the ranges vary WILDLY between 500mw and 1.5 WATTS of output power - I ran one diode at 750 mw, and when I pushed it beyond that, it went POOF ! Others run at 1 WATT comfortably
You should get 500mw if you want life= FOREVER, 1W if you want a long service life of say 30,000 hours,and 1.5W+ if you want projector lamp lifetimes say 1000 to 3000 hours if you are lucky
I'm running mine at 1A now and getting roughly 980mW from a cold start (after Hi-Power lens).As it warms up, the power starts to drop 1mW at a time. At the 2 minute mark, the power is about 920mW. After 3 minutes, I lose about 100mW from start-up. The case temperature is slightly warm at this point. The power settles at about 870mW after 4 minutes.
Keep in mind that this is a portable unit, so heatsinking is not optimal.
Just recapping, in an excellent heatsink (lab style) what do you consider to be the maximum drive current for long CW life for both 130 and 140 diodes?.
Answer :I still have the "guinea pig" one in the torture chamber ..... it's working more or less "thermally stabilized", continuously at 1,6A, 10S on / 10S off ..... from 30/06/2010, 24/7, now ..... and til now it show no power degradation

12X S06J Blu-ray
from : http://www.ebay.com/itm/700mW-12X-405nm-S06J-Blu-Ray-Laser-Diode-/170791089113
This is the most powerful 405 diode available and it is not the lower efficiency more sensitive 12X diode from the SF-BW512L sleds that are prone to sudden deaths when run over 420mA. If the seller does not list whether it is an S06J diode or a SF-BW512 diode it is most certainly a SF-BW512 as it is a huge selling point. When driven @ 500mA you can expect ~770mW with a G-2 lens and ~570mW with a three element 405 AR coated glass lens but the diodes. Efficiency will vary a little and I have seen some hit as high as 850mW with a G-2 being driven @ 500mA.
The best lens options are the Aixiz 405/445 Glass Lens or the more powerful 405 G-2 Lens.
The current must be limited to no more than 500mA to the diode. There are plenty of people that will tell you it is ok to run this diode up to 700mA but this will lead to a quick death for the diode. Yes it will survive for a few minutes and give amazing power output but please keep it under 500mA. Don't attempt to connect directly to a battery.
indexumt.png

62587199.gif

M140
Check A-140 vs. M-140 vs. H1600 thread : http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/140-vs-m-140-vs-h1600-72373.html#post1042084
The A140 runs at 1.25A for best life expectancy and the M140 runs best at 1.7A for best life expectancy
PinOut : Same as Phr803t
graphwq.png

A140 445nm LD
Starts lasing @ 3.77V -- 7mW
Graph of A 140 :
27618d1277437574-post-your-ma-mw-lasersbee_445_plot.png

a130a140po.png

Osram PL450B 450nm
36643d1329572253-osram-pl450-450nm-80mw-power-chart-osram.png

Osram PLTB450 1.4W 450nm

"New" diode NDB7875-E 9mm 1.6-2W 445nm
p1018966.jpg

39mm445nmpivcurve.png

from DTR :
dtr2.jpg

dtr1.jpg

Hope this helped a bit :yh:

Last edited:

Re: Meta Topic : Pinout & Performance of actual LD

Nice collection!

I've been meaning to start saving all the useful graphs and diagrams I see posted here for a while... You just gave me a good head-start!

It might be nice though, if you could reduce the width of your images... The forum software doesn't allow for scrollbars on embedded images, so even at 1280x1024 resolution, 1/3 of your widest images are cut off. EDIT: scratch that, you can scroll, the bars are at the very bottom of the post... but it's still cumbersome.

Anyways, to contribute more to this thread, here's the diagram for hooking up a daedal driver:
prototype_001.jpg

image thanks to aaronX987

Here's the pinout to a KES-400A laser found in a PS3 sled:
pinout.jpg

image credit unknown. probably sam.

Last edited:

Zom-B

Quick sheet for relative intensities between any two lasers.

Relative_intensities.gif

The laser on the left is ### times more visible than the laser on top.

For example, Blue is 161.51 times brighter than Violet

Here is the one I have been using. I have not posted before because I did not know how to credit all of the authors...Thanks to all! ;D
DH

Attachments

• QUICK_REF_SHEET_1.JPG
    QUICK_REF_SHEET_1.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 28,533

sherap

Hi,

does anyone have an idea why I cant pump my old 50mw WL green with the IR extracted from the 803T sled.

- I can see the deep dark red from the diode when plugged with a rkstr driver with 6 V at around 40 ma
- strong red with the + on the opposite pin, so I'm not using the wrong pin layout.

So, when I insert the diode into the pumping module no green at all :(

I am not able to test with the original diode because it'is dead... Also I didn't receive the senskat's IR post package yet...

- Is it possible that this WL green was pumping with an other waveleight than 808 ?

sorry for all thoses questions.. I would like to make my greenie shine again...

thanks!

My 5mW green laser's IR diode uses about 350mA, so I doubt the pitiful IR diode--used for reading--on that 803T sled would do it, even it could handle 350mA. That is, assuming, you've got the thing lined up correctly, etc.

sherap

Bionic-Badger said:
My 5mW green laser's IR diode uses about 350mA, so I doubt the pitiful IR diode--used for reading--on that 803T sled would do it, even it could handle 350mA. That is, assuming, you've got the thing lined up correctly, etc.

All right, I will turn this pot until it fries... if no green..no green. I dont have anything to do with a low IR in any case.

thanks. Yes it was well aligned, good crystals with IR filter at the end of it.

sherap said:
Hi,

does anyone have an idea why I cant pump my old 50mw WL green with the IR extracted from the 803T sled.

- I can see the deep dark red from the diode when plugged with a rkstr driver with 6 V at around 40 ma
- strong red with the + on the opposite pin, so I'm not using the wrong pin layout.

So, when I insert the diode into the pumping module no green at all :(

I am not able to test with the original diode because it'is dead... Also I didn't receive the senskat's IR post package yet...

- Is it possible that this WL green was pumping with an other waveleight than 808 ?

sorry for all thoses questions.. I would like to make my greenie shine again...

thanks!
IR diodes in CD players (as in the PHR803T sled also) are 780nm. You need 808nm to pump green. You need to get lots of power from the IR diode, I guess that the 200mW would be enough, but it will not give you 50mW. You should NEVER look into an infrared diode while it is lasing, it WILL damage your eyes! You do not know how powerful the infrared diode is lasing at! Oh, and the DPSS process isn't as simple as hooking up a diode to some crystals, alignment is critical and may take hours to get perfect.

Back on topic...
Nice post! Very helpful.

sherap

That's what I was expecting,

the original 808 of the pointer was giving a deeper dark, and I have just been surprised to see the red so easly at low current with this 803T. But It was written every where like a 808nm not a 760nm

actually I never look directly into the diode, I just watch the diffusion on my skin or watch thru a phone cam.

The 760nm is a bit more visible than the 808nm. I still find it pretty amazing that the human eye works over such a wide spectrum, from X-rays to IR, what a high-performance sensor.

At the beginning, i thought that my 808 diode was fried, because i only see a deeper dark in the diode, but not in my hand (only a little). In fact, with a camera, which can "see" Infrared, i see that these diode is very powerfull ! so be careful   :)
vlcsnap9634hl1.png

This is a 808 diode from stenkat at 345 mA

sherap

does the wicked LaserShades for RED (blue glasses) filter any IR radiation?

Ironbar said:
This needs a sticky!

Thanks for all the info in one thread, this rocks!

I second that! :p After not building a blu-ray laser for a while, I wanted to be sure last time I was building one, it took me 20 minutes to find the pin-out. This should be a sticky.