Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Map of Members with Access to Laser Power Meters

Looks like someone went wild with the
Delete Button...

Relax, d00d, It's not a conspiracy. From post 1: "Users that have not been online in a month will be removed from the map. They will be added again only upon their request." People leave the forum all the time. What use is a map where 80% of the users are gone? I try to keep it somewhat current.

I'll be happy to add you again. Just post here (or PM) your gear.

Benm

I'm not sure how it works: if you are offline for a month, will you be permanently removed, or just hidden until you are active on the forum again?

I can see perfectly valid reasons for people not be active for a month and then come back, still owning the power measuring equipment and everything, probably having no clue they have been removed from the list.

Another option would be not to remove people from the list, but just indicate with a different colour pointer that they have not been around for a while - even if they have not been on the forum they may still be there, reading their emails and open to requests for help with measurements.

If i look at the map for europe i see only very few, and i think there would be many more lpf members with measuring equipment in the continent that are willing to lend a hand.

Valid points, but the main purpose of the thread is so people can contact other members to use their stuff. Members are contacted via the forum, and if they're not on the forum, it is only a hindrance for people wanting power meter usage to keep them on the map. People that are gone for a month almost never return - it is easier to simply ask to be added again for those very rare circumstances.

Given that meters are pretty cheap these days, and it seems exceptionally rare that people use the map in the first place, this thread is almost useless at this point.

Benm

I'm not sure about that - if you just want to check the power of a pointer and there is someone 10 miles away with the equipment, it'd be easy enough to just pop by and test it... even if the test equipment is only $100 or something, that could be much more than the cost of the laser.

As in contact through the forum: If you sent a private message the forum member gets an email about that right? So even if they don't visit the forum for quite some time they'd still get notified of the request.

Zom-B

I can see perfectly valid reasons for people not be active for a month and then come back, still owning the power measuring equipment and everything, probably having no clue they have been removed from the list.
Sounds like me

If i look at the map for europe i see only very few, and i think there would be many more lpf members with measuring equipment in the continent that are willing to lend a hand.
Sounds like me

I'd be willing to be added to this list, but I can forecast that I'll be gone for stretches of many months, possibly years, while still staying interested int he laser scene and willing to help you fellows.

Maybe increase to 1 year or when they sell their lpm. I usually leave for months/years at a time but if someone ever responds to one of my threads or pm's me I get an email and if it's something I should respond to I do within 24 hours even if I've been gone for a year and a half. So even if I haven't been in the forum in months if I still have my lpm I would be glad to help out a fellow laser hobbyist.

Given that meters are pretty cheap these days, and it seems exceptionally rare that people use the map in the first place, this thread is almost useless at this point.
Hey d0000d (851981)...
I agree...

Jerry

Zom-B

Let me quote something from the Power Meter Calibration and Comparison thread:

I think this has largely been solved by the availability of these nice, cheap thermal meters that have become so common.

[...]

Although I will add, I've learned in the past year+ that meter calibration is a big problem no matter where you go or what you do. Even in a well-funded university lab, we struggle with measurements continuously. Of course we're looking at measurements a bit more complicated with equipment that's a bit more complicated, but the point remains: even in high-end labs, the fundamentals are still fundamental.

Last edited:
Let me quote something from the Power Meter Calibration and Comparison thread:
Originally Posted by pullbangdead
I think this has largely been solved by the availability of these nice, cheap thermal meters that have become so common.

[...]

Although I will add, I've learned in the past year+ that meter calibration is a big problem no matter where you go or what you do. Even in a well-funded university lab, we struggle with measurements continuously. Of course we're looking at measurements a bit more complicated with equipment that's a bit more complicated, but the point remains: even in high-end labs, the fundamentals are still fundamental.

I remember when we first started designing the
LaserBee I we made an appointment at the Laser
Lab at McGill University in Montreal to get some
precise calibrations done...

We were quite disappointed to see an old LPM
that hadn't been calibrated for over 20 years
which they were using.... I would have thought
being a Laser Lab in a well known University that
they would have better Laser equipment..

Jerry

Trevor

Assuming I don't fall off the face of the planet again, you can add me back in Boulder.

Trevor

J4894

hello, I'm a newbie with a suspect hand held pointer. Anyone around houston that could test the power or would anyone allow me to send it to them in the mail to test and return? thanks

hello, I'm a newbie with a suspect hand held pointer. Anyone around houston that could test the power or would anyone allow me to send it to them in the mail to test and return? thanks
I'm in North Carolina, I can test it for you if you pay shipping. Depending on the size it would be about $3-$5 each way.

I have the capability to test lasers 0.1mW to 150W