Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making your own GITD O-rings.

Fiddy

G'day,

So i had been looking around for large GITD o-rings for my 2D maglite and with no success i decided to make my own.

Recently i bought some GITD powder and 4.6 meters of 2mm OD silicone tube.

oring6.jpg

oring3.jpg

The Silicone host has a ID of something ridiculous, 1mm maybe? so there was my first hurdle.

Found some old teeth whiting gell syringes in my garage which i could slide the tube perfectly up and inject the powder down the tube.

oring5.jpg

It took a while to get good consistency on the o-ring but it was well worth the time.

blue.jpg

oring2.jpg

After i had even glow all along the hose i glued one end shut, the glued the other end to that end forming a ring.

oring4.jpg

Finished Product installed in my XML-T6 2D Maglite from Jayrob (left) & Ultrafire TH-60 (right).

oring7.jpg

oring6-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Fiddy.

Last edited:

Wow thats awesome! I may just do that myself! Where did you get the glow in the dark power and did you just put the powder into the silicone tube or did you mix it with something?

jayrob

That's really cool, you could sell those!

I'd buy 4 blue ones fit for a stock Maglite... :D (my personal Mag mods)

The finished o-ring just takes the place of the stock black o-ring correct?

Last edited:
Really sweet! Don't even see the seam in the flashlight pics.

What glue are you using, silicone? Does the glue hold up to stretching the o-ring much?
That jewelry tube is really silicone? It doesn't seem to claim to be at all. Clear 2mm (3/32) silicone fuel tube is available on fleebay. I had been thinking of taking a section out of a GITD o-ring to make smaller ones.

Last edited:

Fiddy

That's really cool, you could sell those!

I'd buy 4 blue ones fit for a stock Maglite... :D (my personal Mag mods)

The finished o-ring just takes the place of the stock black o-ring correct?

I could, i havent perfected them yet, it took me a while to achieve that one to get it nice and consistent.

Yeah it does, on the maglite the o-ring is almost hidden so it doesn't glow as much as id like.

What size mag's are the Jay? ive also got premium green glow powder :D

Fiddy.

Really sweet! Don't even see the seam in the flashlight pics.

What glue are you using, silicone? Does the glue hold up to stretching the o-ring much?
That jewelry tube is really silicone? It doesn't seem to claim to be at all. Clear 2mm (3/32) silicone fuel tube is available on fleebay. I had been thinking of taking a section out of a GITD o-ring to make smaller ones.

I just used my model hobby glue :)
Im not sure, i didn't need to stretch the o-ring because i made it to the correct size.
It might be clear rubber actually, i couldn't find anything 2mm OD on eBay.

Last edited:
2mm (3/32) THICK SILICONE FUEL TUBE 1Mtr :)
Would be nice if he specified the ID.

I'd love some GITD powder but thats a large quantity & subsequently expensive. Going to have to search for some smaller quantities.
Hows your powder's glow strength & lasting ability?

Last edited:

Fiddy

Yeah, you should ask the seller!
That's what i did with the stuff i bought, that's pretty cheap too.

isn't 3/32" 2.4mm too? might be a bit big to fit.

Most of the stuff i found was 2mm ID and like 3~4mm OD.

I bought some 4mm OD stuff for my 75W hid torch :)

Last edited:

Things

Hmm, if you're making a GITD o-ring for the HID torch, I might be interested in one for mine as well :D Have been looking for them with no luck at all. Best I've found/thought of is cutting up some glow in the dark bracelets, but their glow time would be crap at best.

Fiddy

Hehe, the only concern i have is if you put it in near the reflector, it may well burn up?
or where you putting it else where?

These are so freaking Cool.:D

:gj:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< "666" :eg:

Last edited:
The brightest rings I have seen, Way to go man :gj:
And I agree I think you could sell them, find a glue
with a death grip and go to town with em.

Maybe a clear plug or tube for the junction to strengthen it.

Very nice job! I have some of that same type of jewelry tubing stuff that's already GITD, but not nearly as bright as yours. The stuff I have glows green.

To be honest I never even thought about using it for o-rings. Going to have to see what I can whip up with it.

The stuff I have came from Hovvy Lobby.

jayrob

I could, i havent perfected them yet, it took me a while to achieve that one to get it nice and consistent.

Yeah it does, on the maglite the o-ring is almost hidden so it doesn't glow as much as id like.

What size mag's are the Jay? ive also got premium green glow powder :D

Fiddy.

I've got D sized Mags. If you want to sell me 2 blue and 2 green, just PM me with your price! :D

I'm just using the stock bezel with UCL lenses. I don't mind the glow ring being hidden. (I would rather it be hidden actually) It will reflect off of the reflector anyway. It will still look really cool...

Last edited: