Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M-140 foulmist boost burner

This will be my 4th of 5 planned sAik builds I went for both driver selection and of course diode selection as well. Call me what you will, I like the sAiks for multiple reasons I was a little late to the party, so what.:beer:

This one pictured has not been tested, but man so far it burns like crazy. I can tell you that flame kernals just rip of the focal point in seconds flat. I carefully aligned the bore hole on this one as to have as straight and clean home for the module in the heat sink.

I heat sinked the foulmist driver with a through hole to the stock aluminum circuitboard housing per included photo. I think these foulmist drivers are really worth what they cost no question there.:bowdown: I used the 1.7A version from DTR's site:beer: I had a little issue at first with the testload in regards to my PSU, but quickly figured out that my PSU adjust current based on voltage (not sure what to call that for another thread perhaps)

I will edit some numbers when I can I can say that it was pulling over 2A from the batt. I will give a better detail when I go thru this unit, but for right now I'm having a hard time putting it down:evil::thanks:

EDIT: OK here are the # 2.189mW at over 1.6mA climbing to >1.7mA over a short period
It did drop to 2.174 then up to 2.175 and held there for well into the 2 min mark.
This is with 2.980A draw from the Batt.

This using a Aixiz 405nm lens:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMAG0329.jpg
    IMAG0329.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMAG0334.jpg
    IMAG0334.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMAG0351.jpg
    IMAG0351.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMAG0362.jpg
    IMAG0362.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

DTR

Yep they are pretty awesome drivers but they will pull a ton of current. With that host and a 32600 it is not a problem but with an 18650 make sure to use a quality battery.:)

Great work on that host as well. Really like that heatsink.:beer:

Last edited:

AnthoT

Awesome build! :D + repped you :)

i actually will be making a saki build with the Foulmist driver also :beer: your heatsink is really nice, you must get some great runtimes :D

Nice build, The SAIK is a good host with lots of heat sucking ability and a battery bay the navy would love :)

I'm working on a kit SAIK for Fiddy now that uses two Micro Boost drives for a total of 2000ma to the diode :eg:

Nice copper heat sink for the drivers :D

Last edited:
Looks good Jeff... I'm hoping to use a huge copper sink for my finale sAik build it will house a MIT 500 with the 650 G lens.

Send me your pill and I'll put a copper driver heat sink in it :)

and if you need a copper main heat sink I can do that also :whistle:

This one is 12.5 ounces :eg:

Looks good Jeff... I'm hoping to use a huge copper sink for my finale sAik build it will house a MIT 500 with the 650 G lens.

Last edited:
I must say you have some really amazing heat sinks there! Flamingpyro too, with his mad saik copper bullion bar!;) Saiks really are amazing hosts! Today I was playing around comparing a 700 mW 405 to my Saik at ~2.6 W and there really was no contest! With a G2 lens at the focal point there was a sort of popping sound from the cardboard substrate and a little flame kept springing up along the line that was being cut! :) After a couple of mins it was only just starting to warm up....Anyway :gj: and cant wait to see your next build! :beer: and +1

Yup, Jeff that's exactly what I was thinking. I priced that material and still saving, but that is the look I am going for so whom ever you are building that for is both first and lucky either one ill own one someday.

Thanks for the nice words and rep grainde I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
great build,

I get that warm feeling when I see my driver in a build ^____^ :beer: :D

It looks like I'm bumping a slightly aged topic here, but I plan on doing a 3W 9mm 445nm build in a Saik host. In that picture with the black battery I assume that's a 32600? Is it at all possible to fit a 32650 (with or without some modifications)?
If so, I imagine a 32650 and boost driver would give the best battery life, right?
If not, what is the best battery + driver(s) combination for this particular host?

Last edited:
I'm sorry I did not get back to you via PM...you will have a hard time get that batt in there only a 32600 no room for any else.

Perhaps I can have a small spacer sleeve machined that threads into the back between the flashlight and tail cap. Unless there's some other reasonably priced 32650 hosts out there you recommend?

If you could lathe the driver pill down and leave it shallow threaded and then maybe you could use a fat o-ring at the the tailcap, might work. P.M. jayrob to see if he could measure that out I'm sure he has a sAik and I know he has some 32650's.