Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lucid dreaming!

GatoX

I don't know if everyone here knows what lucid dream means, summarizing is when you are conscious that you're dreaming and you can control it, allowing to dream whatever you want. Wikipedia link

Ok, and what? :D

Today, I was bored at school when I remembered when I was a kid and I saw "The Nova Dreamer" a mask with wich you could force to have these dreams. I was so fascinated but it was so expensive.

I have tought that I have a few WS2812b (digital leds), an attiny from an old project and a 10440 battery from my recent dead laser (yep, the tiny red laser have died) and safety googles from my sister's crystal kit. A few hours later I have an assembled self-made "Nova Dreamer"

I would like share it with us :eek:

Here is connected to Arduino (ISP programming):

attachment.php

Here the backside (horrible soldering job xD):

attachment.php

And here a video that how it works:

Basicaly it waits for a REM phase (1:30h +-) delayed with internal timer and plays the pattern of red leds blinking faster. At this point you know that you're dreaming thanks to the red light

And that's all folks! :na:

Attachments

• rsz_120awaon.jpg
    rsz_120awaon.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 202
  • rsz_33m4ls9.jpg
    rsz_33m4ls9.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

I have one of the original Nova units. Lucid dreaming is awesome.

Ricker

Ahh, another very favorite hobby of mine!! I love it! I once got sleep paralysis from trying though, scared me for months from trying again, but I got back on the horse! Does this really work?! I use binaural beats to try an achieve lucid dreaming, which works about 25% of the time. I am very interested into wondering what this increases the percentage to for some individuals.

-Nate

Pman

Love flying dreams especially when I realize it's a dream and I can make myself do some things. However, it is very hard to make myself control a dream. In other words it's hard to make myself fly and I don't control most of the dream around it.
I have had some dreams so deep that when I realized I was dreaming I couldn't get out of the dream if that makes any sense at all. I wonder if it has anything to do with the powerful pain meds I am on.

Some meds might do that. Flying dreams are my favorite, might be worth being born a bird it is so fun. Next best thing is to fly machines as a pilot.

What does it use to sense the rem phase? I thought about using an old mindflex unit and setting up a simple python app to moniter what it reads for the duration of my sleep, but im still a little too new to python... i did get the arduino part working though

What does it use to sense the rem phase? I thought about using an old mindflex unit and setting up a simple python app to moniter what it reads for the duration of my sleep, but im still a little too new to python... i did get the arduino part working though

That could very well work, I found quite a bit of tutorials on it. I might very well try this, find a mindflex unit on ebay and try to recreate this. It seems like a much better alternative in detecting REM sleep than using a timer, even though a timer would be far cheaper.

If you google "mindflex unit to detect REM sleep", you should get a couple of resources about it.

Also, I found that you could use fitness bands which look at heart rate to detect when REM sleep occurs, if you found a way to make the device to communicate with the arduino; it should be a much more comfortable experience.

Last edited:

GatoX

Hmmm, I know how to make hearthbeat sensor with an IR emitter-reciever, there are some other ways for detect it (accelerometer perhaps), next phase ;)

I have one of the original Nova units. Lucid dreaming is awesome.

How well it works? I have tested my homemade mask today in a "siesta" and it hurts me the face xD. I will sew a cloth mask better than toy googles

Pman

Yes, Alaskan my favorite dreams are the flying ones too. It is always very hard to control or fly with ease though. It's not unusual for me to actual have a dream where I can fly it's more that it always takes effort to do it as if it takes all my will to fly well. I don't remember ever having a flying dream where I just flew around like it took no effort to make myself fly if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Ricker

Yes, Alaskan my favorite dreams are the flying ones too. It is always very hard to control or fly with ease though. It's not unusual for me to actual have a dream where I can fly it's more that it always takes effort to do it as if it takes all my will to fly well. I don't remember ever having a flying dream where I just flew around like it took no effort to make myself fly if that makes sense.

This is how about 75% of my lucid dreams are as well, semi-lucid dreaming. Your sub-subconscious still has a majority of control and your orso-lateral prefrontal-cortex is only operating at a small percentage during the dream (versus none at all in a regular dream, or quite a lot in a full lucid dream.) Honestly a lot of research shows folks whom master lucid dreaming just have the luck of the draw with brain chemistry. Also, the younger, the easier as research suggests. (This is all just research based, nothing is set in stone with dreams, lucid or not. I am in school for psychology with a minor in oneirology) :D

SyKo

:( The only lucid dreams i ever had where in which i knew i was awake but couldnt change a thing and kinda just sprinted around my environment trying to find something interesting.

I have hours of rain videos and driving in the rain videos in playlists that help me sleep. I have terrible tinnitus.
Do you have to have a quiet room for this flashing light to work?

Hmmm, I know how to make hearthbeat sensor with an IR emitter-reciever, there are some other ways for detect it (accelerometer perhaps), next phase ;)

How well it works? I have tested my homemade mask today in a "siesta" and it hurts me the face xD. I will sew a cloth mask better than toy googles

I works great, but the red LED's which flash when you are in REM entered one of my dreams once that there were grenades exploding around me instead of causing me to understand I was dreaming. From what I can tell, low level IR is emitted towards your eyelashes, when in rem, your eyes start "rapid eye movement" and the IR then starts varying its reflection back into some detector diodes which then make the lights flash. The flashing light is supposed to only clue you that you are dreaming without waking you.

Gabe

Alright, so you set the timer to an hour, plug straight into the 120v outlet, and tape the two bare leads to each temple....

Alright, so you set the timer to an hour, plug straight into the 120v outlet, and tape the two bare leads to each temple....

That likely produces an out of body experience, sometimes permanently.

Do you guys know anything about Astral projection?
My friend told me yesterday she experienced this NOT intentionally when she was between awake and sleep. I told her I thought she was just lucid dreaming.
Hmm