Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Look what I just got in the mail, a host designed and built by ArcticDude.

Guys, since Trinh posted a comment, let me share this with you, he is working with me to make his host allow a 12 mm or a 20 mm DTR module, if using the 12 mm module deeper in near the momentary switch, the space designed for a driver can be used for a cylinder pair instead.

Looking forward to that host

Photo showing the host using a 20 mm module.

Last edited:
Guys, since Trinh posted a comment, let me share this with you, he is working with me to make his host allow a 12 mm or a 20 mm DTR module, if using the 12 mm module deeper in near the momentary switch, the space designed for a driver can be used for a cylinder pair instead.

Looking forward to that host

Photo showing the host using a 20 mm module.

That is a Such a beauty!!

Well done trinh hong phuoc! :gj:

EDIT
Chris, you shouldn't show the host because BobMac&Cheese is probably trying to score it! :D :D

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused how you will use the space intended for the driver for optics, Chris. With only two days left in Alaska, I hope you are making the most of these last few hours. Good luck, buddy.

Radim

Awesome guys! Really makes me think about first build seeing this. ;)
I'm looking to see further progress. :pop:

I'm a bit confused how you will use the space intended for the driver for optics, Chris. With only two days left in Alaska, I hope you are making the most of these last few hours. Good luck, buddy.

Alaskan said the builder was working on it so he could put his diode module further back and use the driver area for his cylindrical pair, then he could use a BE on the front if he wanted to.

Even with just the 6X pair you get a good beam and it looks good in the far field as well.

Here's a short video I made about this time last year, with a G2 only the spot at this distance ( 14 feet ) would be 2 inches long but with correction it's hardly any longer than it starts. It really improved the far field spot as well, the beam looks a lot like a NDB7875 with a 3 element focused at infinity only brighter after correction. That's without a beam expander, with an expander it's even better, but for ease of use I enjoy picking up a corrected 44 and using it without having to focus anything.

Last edited:
I know, but he said it could take either the 20 mm module, or a 12 mm which would allow the optics to be used in the driver heat sink area. Just trying to picture how these two might work with the same host. :thinking:

We are still hammering out the design, now it's going to use just a 20 mm DTR module, it's where it can be placed which makes this a versatile design. The diode module can go in the back near the momentary on switch, or all the way forward on the end. If the module is put near the switch, a cylinder pair can be put in the center slot otherwise used for the driver (if the module is put all the way forward). I have asked for threads to be put on the end of the heat sink cut into the center to allow a beam expander to be threaded on the end, if desired. Working on that too, but the challenge is making it have those threads and either not be ugly, or interfere with the 20 mm module, if inserted into the forward end of the heat sink. I have an idea he is looking into with his machinist now.

RCB, do you have the approximate beam diameter dimensions for the output after 6x correction, if using a NUBM44?

The cylinder lens or driver chamber, depending on how you use it, is planned to be 50 mm long, the heat sink about 110 mm long. From looking at OptLasers 6X cylinder pair, his whole brass mount for the lenses is 43 mm long, so 50 ought to be good.

Last edited:
What happens to your heat sinking if you use the driver heat sink for optics instead of using the front, where I image most of your heat sinking is? And where will all this waste heat go?

The design is not optimal, I have brought that up and asked for solutions to make it better. The tube with the chamber in it, as well as the finned heat sink tube has threads right near where the 20 mm module will be in the back, at that point, heat will transfer (into or from) from that tube as well as directly into the finned tube, not optimum, but good enough. If the 20 mm module is placed towards the front, that isn't presently good enough, there needs to be threads on that end of the tube (the one with the the chamber in it), otherwise there isn't much heat transfer on that end. This has been my biggest complaint and I'm being told there is a solution which will be in the new drawings submitted to me later. Still much time to decide on things.

Last edited:
Sounds like a complicated way of trying to make it "possible" to use it different ways. I would probably pick one and design it for greatest heat transfer. Seems unlikely you will actually use it both ways. :thinking:

You are right, I'm probably just going to put the 20 mm module in the back and use that chamber for beam correction, in that case there is enough bridge for heat transfer into the finned tube. I want it to be able to do both because I'm having extra hosts made for others who might want one too, at cost.

Depending on how close you start to your G2 and the type of G2 the beam will exit as a ribbon 6 - 7 mm wide, the 3XBE input is 8mm wide in the clear and output is 25mm wide in the clear. 6X cylindrical lens separation is 35mm IIRC but if you short focus your G2 then C lens separation can be a little less. * That's with LSP lenses, Opt lenses are thicker but center to center should be the same, here's a link for those interested.

LSP's site is down ATM here's their ebay page....looks a bit slim :undecided: >>> http://stores.ebay.com/Lasershow-Parts

Here's OPT >>> https://optlasers.com/en/39-cylindrical-lenses

Slightly off topic here are some single element SFL lenses with different grinds. >>> https://www.kvantlasers.sk/category/optical-parts-and-scanner-sets/page:2

You could have it made to hold a 20mm and have a sleeve made that's 20mm wide with a 12mm center hole, the length of the module plus your driver, the sleeve could have a shelf behind where the 12mm module will stop for your driver, have him leave a 1/2 inch extra shelf length so you have room to cut/strip/tin/solder your wires between your module and driver, before you put it in the sleeve of course, but leaving room to fold your wires in is always good.

Last edited:
I was guessing a minimum clear aperture of 8 mm :)

OK thank you, there are not many beam expanders which can do 8X with a NUBM44 putting out that wide of a beam, after correction. Their clear aperture inputs are often much smaller.

If you want to use the 3XBE I have to use a sanwu G2, it appears to be a slightly shorter FL because the corrected beam looks the same to my eye with either the DTR G2 or sawnu G2 but the 3XBE input will drastically over expand the corrected beam if you use a DTR G2 .....but it will fit if you use the sanwu G2. Even short focusing the DTR G2 would not remedy this, seems the sanwu BE likes the sanwu primary in this case. I am still looking at big lens 5X and 10X BE, this one looks good but I need to know the lens diameters. P.S. If you want it get it, I'm off to the gun show this weekend so I will get one later. Ask about the lens diameters. 8mm in 40mm out or better for 5X should work. >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/THORLABS-5...925483&hash=item2c97c2548f:g:GJAAAOSwZjJU8doj

Thorlabs >>> https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1580&pn=BE05M-B#1126

Here's a lens print when focused to 30 feet or so, don't have a LPM read but the power is there as verified in side by side comparisons with other 44/G7/3XBE tests, this is 44/G2/6X/3XBE the ability to cut and ignite materials at distance is also evidence that a good concentration of the diodes power is there. This is with a sanwu G2 primary.
I wonder about using a larger PCX further out with just the 3X input, I have tried it with a 44/3E/3X input and 4 inch PCX but not after correction, I need to get some shallow curve large PCX lenses to use in this way, the ....forgive my lack of the technical term, the convex side of a PCX determines the magnification or rate of bend, so I think a much slower rate of bend would be needed, not necessarily a binocular lens but a thin PCX.
12169-44-sanwu-g2-lsp-6x-3xbe-output-lens-print-focused-30-feet-so.jpg

Last edited:
I've high jacked my own thread off topic with this discussion, I better make a new thread and leave this one for Tero's host which is a nice solid finished host which is all set up for the 3x expander. So look for that thread later please. I will make it for member input on what they think this new host should be.