Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LK-PD2 Laser Projector Review (picture heavy)

Tmack

Well since shakenawake bought the last one that Len was trying to sell to make the group buy work, I don't think I will be selling mine. It looks like some of the patterns are the same as mine, but this one has lumia effect which mine doesn't. Although I haven't tried mine with any fog, I'm pretty sure the beam effects wouldn't be as nice as this one either due to higher mw, but for half the cost my LK-3D is awesome. Just had it going on the Christmas tree and the whole family was mesmerized :D it's really hard to describe how impressive these units are without showing you.

Tmack

Lol second that. I think gb 4 shaved a couple of years off len though ;) mad dash is an extreme understatement

Well if thr GB 4 buyers post more pictures like this then everyone will wanr to buy one

I would also love to see some more reviews and pictures/videos of these projector's, I'd like to see and hear some more about the LK-SD as I haven't been able to see a great deal from that one, I'd like to see if anyone has had much success with the on board sd card feature as I liked the idea of making or downloading some ilda beam shows set to music and being able to play them without needing to have a laptop and DAC with you set up, tho I believe I read for syncing a show with music you would have to manually sync it by loading the file on the sd then pressing play on your sound system.

My LK-PD2 arrives tomorrow, Tuesday. I'll be sure to post a good review. It will be quite awhile before I buy show software, but at least I can check out the built-in features.

Thank you all -- & you are right-- this one was more complicated and required a lot of work -- so i could have avoided but still-- @LLoud people often were 'specs' at laser show...but not safety glasses LOL- those carboard diffraction ;rainbow' or 'Trip glasses ' are sometimes worn.

as Wendy says today's Laser shos are more regulated than ever before- and Audience Scanning is often just too risky. BUT it still can be done and its an awesome effect.
To read an experts opinion see this topic at Pangolin.com- there they go into detail.

About the difference between the LK 3D ($248) and the LK PD2.0 ($515)is the ability to use PC/ILDA control with the more expemnsive PJ --plus it have more mW that really is something that as first I was wrong-- concerning 'brightness'
COMBINED POWER-- the LK 3D @ 320mW & the LK PD2 @ 500mW- in person there is only a small amount of difference- Some have the idea that a 500mW projector or laser is twice as 'bright' as a 250mW-Not true to the human eye it takes 1W to double what you see from a 250mW thus 320 and 500 not really so far apart.

Both PJs have some built-in efxs but thankfully NO crude animations like we have seen in China made projectors for many years- and you CAN"T do animations no matter what you do with the 3D= the LK has many of the efxs we get from the 3D and it has a nifty wireless RC-- the PD does not. The 3D is not what some call a BEAMER- its a abstract maker - the beam show is not the real show- if you want beam pics like Bruce and Simon have posted you need a beam and fog/smoke- and a camera (but DO watch out for pixel damage from powerful lasers and the magnification to that power cause by the lens in the camera- )

Anyone who just cannot come up with $500 + $$ coiuld place a WTB in the BS&T section as there may be a few REKR 500 owners wanting to upgrade to a l;aserking and thus want to sell thier REKE-500mW it has PC/ILDA and the DMX but no special efx wheel nor RC but a few happened to get thse at a specail time- --some say it was a fluke- BUT there was a sale- a % off coupon and for a short time free shipping was allowed ....that deal afaik will NEVER happen again... Almost all REKEs arrived after a long wait most had some problems right from the box but at $209 its expected that the quality will just not be there-- I am still tahnkful to Lasersman and Yourlaser for bringing afgfordable ILDA PJs to many here and it was a good strat to what he are doing now.

The PJs from LaserKing almost all arrived in near perfect condition, out od 36 only a few had issues- all but one was solved w/o too muchh work- and Miss Linna has shown that we can count on LK to honor thier warranty ..with a twist I find fansastic- instead of the buyers paying $~80 for each way shipping- Linna is helping us do our own repairs- thus we are nor=t w/o or 'toys' for weeks- she express shipped the needed module for one in 72 hours after being told a part was not working correctly - help is there fir the asking from Linn and her crew- After the holidays I will be working on a LK PD2 that belongs to laserface' george- I will get walked thru the trouble shooting steps to find the problem and will fix it with the great help from China- win win win
I learn a valuable bunch of lessons - we fix up George quicker than sending back and avoid the 160$ in shipping.

I have applied with LaserKing for one more group buy-In 2014 & a 10% increase in prices and a minimum required number of buyers must be done next time- as is for a GB of 10 pcs on any model we are getting prices that are normally only offered to retailers buying wholesale and moat times they order 100 pcs or more.

I *think* there may be another chance to get the special deal with only five+ buyers for the FULL COLOR LKRGB5 normally just ttl (& 7 colors) & we possibly could get that with 5 or more buyers BUT no less.

I may be abler to add on other models in the same order as long as we have 10 buyers for ,say, the LK PD2- that detail needs to be worked out--later.

They say "time kills all deals" and when a GB drags on for too many weeks we can lose buyers waiting on more buyers etc- and my crystal ball is still broken.

bbl

Len

PM me if you get the next GB going. If you know its coming up just give me a heads up so I can ensure I have the cash on hand for the GB.

Also if any member wants to sell their projector prior to Haks next GB then shoot me a PM. I think I have found my next love :drool:

Well, I hate to rain on this parade . . .

but my LK-PD2 was not functioning when I received it.

The Green beam was not even visible.

After sending email to Linna,

she asked me to send photos of the missing green in patterns.

I sent the requested photos, and all I got back was requests for more photos.

By then I needed to get the projector going for a show I was doing.

I finally gave up on customer service, and tore the projector apart and fixed it myself.

IMO it was not damaged by shipping, but was sent out not working properly.

It is working well now, but alignment of the green laser was a job for an experienced laser technician.

I still have not got the audio function to work successfully.

Len has done a lot of work to pick a very good projector for his group buys . . .

but just understand not every projector will work like it is supposed to.

LarryDFW

Hi LarryDFW, I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your projector, also upsetting to hear that Linna didn't manage to offer you any support on fixing the projector, I hope they get in touch with you soon and send you out a replacement green module.
I had a small dent on my PJ witch I don't think was caused by transport as the PJ was very well packaged and the box doesn't show any signs of damage, but as this was only a small cosmetic problem , I'm not worried about it, but I have took a picture and included in my review.

For anyone having any problems or if you just want to check your alignment you can put your projector into the pattern mirror reversing setting... To get into this mode you need to press the FUNC button 5 times and then press ENTER.

It should look like the picture below (jeffreythe00 hope you don't mind me using your photo)

IMG_20130403_183734_zps7ad65ae2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this larry- I tried to get with you in person while i was in DFW-but got no reply-
AFTER the holidays I am going to do a PJ trouble shooting and repair thread working with the techs at LaserKing- I have three needing attention- two look to be minor problems but one is not working at all-- Parts needed will come express at no charge-
I hope together we can get yours working perfectly ..

If you already tried to contact me on this I did not get the message--sorry

Larry--I really can use your help with the learning how to trouble shoot and do our own repairs-- I imagine we will be sending pics and these will be sent back to us with arrows ETC and steps needed-- I am sure this will be a great learning experiance for me as i am a NOOB when it comes to any complex PJ repair..

best wishes for a great 2014--len
**************************:thanks::thanks::thanks:

UPDATE I am going to start the repair thread NOW in the tutorial section--
anyone with any brand of propjector can join us in this thread- :beer:

Last edited:
For anyone having any problems or if you just want to check your alignment you can put your projector into the pattern mirror reversing setting...

To get into this mode you need to press the FUNC button 5 times and then press ENTER.

It should look like the picture below

IMG_20130403_183734_zps7ad65ae2.jpg

Slyoung is correct.

This is the basic pattern that you will normally use to align all three laser beams.

Anybody who uses the projector frequently should be familiar with this screen,

and adjusting the mirror mounts with hex keys to adjust the beam.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Hello Wendy, I'm very glad to hear that you've got your LK-PD2 and that it's working fine... I'm also eagerly but patiently looking forward to your review as I was very impressed with your SciFiLaser review and also very nice hearing about your big 3.5mW red laser you inbuilt in your van to make it mobile at the time, it really helps and puts into perspective, how far lasers have come in the past years :)

In answer to your question as far as I can see, the LK-PD2 has an effects wheel with 8 holes, 4 of which are fitted with different designed effects lenses, so it looks to me to be diffraction grating... It would be a very nice bonus if we can use these effect lenses when hook it up to ILDA? I would love to control the lumia effect

Pretty good thread I must say- Today we will hve two new LK PD2 owners- three getting PK 3D(actually just two-sry Coh.Thought your is coming soon- problem with your zip code(not yr fault)) and four getting the full color LKRGB5 with 30K scanners.++

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE=send your questions to ME - I am ready to help and thats why you pay me the BIG BUCKS(LOL)- More will be added to the repair thread- I have links if you want to upgrade your scanners- or add an AUX -in jack for the much improved sound response and moar. I cannot assist If I do not know you need help.

Any new owners can post new review threads or ask if you can add to an existing review like the one above. I predict tha a few will soon want to sell thier Lks and NOT because they are unhappy but...so they can get a new LK with more power and 'shazizzle'.
The best seller has been the LK PD2 and I have high hopes for good reviews on the super deal the LKRGB5 - for the cost of seven color with none of the free extras we get FULLCOLOR- a road case and an ILDA cable... WAIT!! what do I hear???

GOTTA GO!!!! DHL is at my DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!! woot-- btw we get at no extra cost the cream of shippers DHL EXPRESS!! My fav for sure--bye 72 hours from China to TEXAS !! how do day do dat??

My LK-PD2 does not respond to music from external speakers despite setting to the highest "9" level". Up until now, I have to thump the case with fingers to get it to sequence through any of the "SO_" mode patterns. So I decided to strap my headset over the mic entrance and feed it some controlled levels and frequencies.

I've determined the LK-PD2 mic is consistently sensitive to 330 Hz to 3,000 Hz. So, the unit is not bass responsive – interesting and good to know.

The unit responds constantly using the following test tones:

Waveform: Sine wave
Frequencies: 330 Hz – 3,000 Hz
Amplitude: 0dBFS (100%)
Tone Duration: 0.15 – 0.25 sec
Headphone level: 110 dB C-weighted SPL

I can get it to respond up to 4 kHz, but not consistently.

Not sure how much of that SPL gets through the tiny hole, but probably a decent level. By sending pulses at any frequency in this range and those durations, I can essentially step through the sound response patterns incrementally.

Nevertheless, this is an extraordinary level to have to be piping directly to the unit's mic to get it to respond. When i drop the test tone levels -20 dBFS yet use the same amplification settings, it stops responding consistently if at all. This means the required sound pressure levels (SPL) must be extraordinarily high (around 100 dBC SPL outside the mic hole) to be able to even use the "SO_" sound triggered pattern modes, which IMHO is unacceptable. It's already been set to the highest user-controlled response setting, which is "9". How can they sell these with such a glaring defect? 12 hours of testing? Obviously not checking the sound responsiveness. From what I'm hearing around LPF, most LK-PD2 owners have the same exact problem with poor sound response. Some have modified this by adding other mics, line-in jacks, or amplification, but really? What's up with that? How hard would it be to manufacture these with a reasonable real-world sound response? They have all the elements in place: a mic, electronics, and it can control the sound patterns if you are at a death metal concert of sitting on some tarmac or airport runway. If I played music that loud I'd be evicted. Plus we're approaching the threshold of pain.

However...

Not to be a Grumpasaurus, with the LK-PD2 being fed 110 dB SPL via headphones pressed against the mic hole, using the projector with sound is the biggest treat! Watching Auto shows is cool, but when you are able to drive the various sound shows with audio sync, it's groovalicious and fantastic! :) THIS is what makes it a laser show in my eyes: laser beams and patterns moving intelligently to music.. Sometimes, depending on the frequencies in the song, you get quite a rapid series of effects that are a pure delight to watch.

If somebody figures out some perfect hack to correct the built-in mice poor response to reasonable levels of music, I'd love a parts list a detailed instructions. The fact that I can press headphones up to the mic hole and feed it enough volume to get it to perform gives me hope. I think I'd prefer some hack that allows that mic to be the input, but maybe a preamp between it and the board. That way, you don't have to resort to some Line-In, which is not always convenient. I'd really like to see this thing respond to external music played at reasonable levels. I'm pretty impressed watching this respond to music between 300 Hz and 3000+ Hz without relying on bass beat to trigger changes. At times, it is very responsive and changes rapidly. It all d spends on the song and the frequencies.

Last edited:

Pman

Yeah, it's a pain that the response is so cruddy. You probably looked back and saw my line in fix but it does stink that it is so insensitive in and of itself. I have more than enough power (db's) to set it off but it has to be stupid loud. Most people wouldn't have the gear to play loud enough with just a pair of speakers.

Pete