Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lightsaber....right?

I hear ya. For me though, I don't seem to have the need for 3W in my collection. I'm kind of afraid of it in close quarters and I hate the divergence on it. Hell, I sold off my 3.2W Kryton as soon as it was completed. I didn't even get around to putting GITD in it.

What I am excited about is the V5...I'm thinking a nice 1W 638 for that fine copper head.

Although, I'm on a real single-mode kick lately. Once I satisfy that itch, it's on to gas.

I really don't expect to be wowed by 3W+, after having been playing around with 2W+ for what seems like forever. I understand exactly where you're coming from.

In this case I just want that specific laser, in that specific host, to have one definitely lightsaber like host, or fairly close to it. To me, that's what it feels like with 2x22650 batteries.

About the 638 1W, or near there. To be frank, I was not thrilled by it. I mean yes it's a great laser, and the beam is pretty nice, but to me it does not appear to be a significant enough improvement, in the WOW department vs ~500mW. Which makes perfect sense.

I have a feeling I'll be switching to mostly single mode lasers too, or just going up in power.

Gas lasers though, idk, maybe I need to see a few in person to fall in love.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Ryan to get back on the forums so I can finally get a siler 18650 host

I don't even have a 1W 445 yet. I'd like a 3W but just can't see myself to making one though. I hate horrible beam specs. A 1W red would be nice too but the beam specs suck.

norbyx

Well 3w 2w...1w it all depends on what you want the laser for. I rather have a laser that I like, that has a nice host, than the top of the power line and horrible host. Even if I do want to have them all...;)

I agree Norbyx. I like nice hosts too, otherwise I'd get a labby :) I'm pretty excited by the idea of a 2 or 3w, but definitely no playing with cats :( I've given away all my lower powered lasers and will have to restock at some point.

~ LB

Ya know, I've been working on the idea of customizing my builds w/ dual mode switches to make them cat safe..

Wow, I'm so happy for Styro! Those hosts were amazing. I wanted one but finger prints drive me insane! I want to get a 3W laser as well but since my wallet is running thin I wont be able to anytime soon. Anyone up for a trade!? Haha.

daguin

My "personal" 445nm is set at 600mW.
Even that is sometimes too much to use indoors ;)

Peace,
dave

My "personal" 445nm is set at 600mW.
Even that is sometimes too much to use indoors ;)

Peace,
dave

Word, Dave...I've got my burner for work, and it's 2 mode switch is great for the cats. But, I want just a couple of hundred mW in a single-mode 450 for safe, indoor use.

Last edited:

daguin

Word, Dave...I've got my burner for work, and it's 2 mode switch is great for the cats. But, I want just a couple of hundred mW in a single-mode 450 for safe, indoor use.

Yep. Got a diode out of a Showa pico sitting here waiting for me to get my stuff together ;)

Peace,
dave