Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for aquarium

Hello

I am interested/looking at purchasing a laser that vaporizes pests in my aquarium. I am looking for something with little to no cool down time Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am hoping someone with a little experience in this field help me out! Thanks in advance guys

this has come up from time to time. as i remember the 445nm m140 diodes or a 12x 405nm provided enough power density for doing this.

Thank you for your very swift reply friend. I am unsure of if I need a 1400mw power? I was looking into a few.

Blue 445nm
445nm-2000mW <---- Do i need this much or will this burn holes through my rocks?

I was also looking into this brand as it looked promising but I know next to nothing about anything laser related =X

I am looking into something I can zap on and off with a low cool down or very little wait time. (if its even possible idk) What are you suggestions or brands?

Blue Laser Part Bundles

Last edited:
Thank you for your very swift reply friend. I am unsure of if I need a 1400mw power? I was looking into a few.

Blue 445nm
445nm-2000mW <---- Do i need this much or will this burn holes through my rocks?

I was also looking into this brand as it looked promising but I know next to nothing about anything laser related =X

I am looking into something I can zap on and off with a low cool down or very little wait time. (if its even possible idk) What are you suggestions or brands?

Blue Laser Part Bundles

Survival lasers is a good place to buy from and he is a member here also and he goes by Garog.

DTR

Yep 1-2W 445's work really well and so do 500mW+ 405nm units from the customers I have had use them. There are lots of ways to go. Lot of host kits including the ones you saw on SL or see some of the host kit sellers in my sig. If you don't fancy building it yourself check out the BST there are a few members with very good ready to go units choose from.:beer:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/new-sale-multiple-2w-445nm-blue-lasers-80488.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sale-new-1w-2w-445nm-501b-lasers-110-a-78452.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/n...-black-ice-lasers-free-us-shipping-79069.html

Here is a link to a water-proof laser that you can build yourself: HERE. It uses the diode that DTR sells. If you want you can also ask a member here to build the laser for you.

DinNY

I use a 1.4W 445nm m140 to deal with my DTs when issues pop up.

Anything in the links DTR posted would be perfect.

If you plan to do long sessions of aiptasia blasting, I would definitely suggest getting some spare batteries.

I see 2 of the sellers listed above will include some spares for a reasonable fee.

And safety glasses are not an option they are a must!!
If you can't get them included with your laser purchase,. then there are some availble here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-laser-safety-glasses-445-405-532-a-80643.html
at a very reasonable price.
and grab more than 1 pair .. your family and friends will want to watch :)

pay attention to your duty cycles, and stay close to 1.4W and you'll have a pest killer that will last you a good long time ..

A few other quick pointers:
Make sure your water is crystal clear, run carbon in your filters if needed.

Turn off your sump, it keeps the heat from dissipating, and allows you a chance to siphon off any "debris" that may kick up into the water column.

FOCUS, it is critical .. It makes the difference between this being a chore, and something you look forward to doing :) a quick search on youtube and you'll see the difference between a beam that is focused and one that is not quite perfect (30 second kill vs. 3 minutes).

Oh, and I almost forgot. Be prepared for everyone within 3 states of you to ask you to come over and zap their problems away..
Hope that helps...

Last edited:
If you want something with no duty cycle, I'd go with a 9mm diode and only run it at about 1W. put it in a nice beefy host and you should have a duty cycle that's longer than you're ever going to use it at any one time.

Which one should I buy for a super long session of aptasia blasting because from the looks of it this tank will take a while with a dinky one. lol Anyway, I very much appreciate your feedback! What laser did you use? and are there any drawbacks?

How much will that run me? and how many parts would I need? Also, Will it hit the 1400 mw mark? Better yet do I need a 1400 mw output?

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
If I may second this point: You will NEED glasses. Blasting the aptasia from your aquarium will send reflected beams all over the place. Don't play Khet with your eyes as the targets, buy safety goggles first THEN buy the laser.