Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser doesn't really work.

Hello =D
I just bought a tiny laser pointer (1mW<) for experiments like ,,Interference Pattern'' or refraction of light. I am really interested in physics as you can see :cryyy:
But that tiny pointer was a cheap one for some € and I am really disappointed.
Although the battery is full, the ray is totally weak.
small_5_head_laser_pointer.jpg

At first the point of the laser ray was quite strong, after 1 minute the intensity decreased.
Something like this without any quality.
Do you know any reasons which might cause the weakness of the ray in spite of the full baterries ?

Thank you very much.

Jaseth

You have already answered yourself:
"tiny laser pointer (<1mW)"
"a cheap one for some €"
This is way too cheap and weak to have any significant dot, and will probably not have a visible beam even through thick smoke.
You need to invest a bit more money to get a laser which is more visible. Read the FAQs and search around the forum and internet. If you still have questions after that we are here to help.

Well I know that I cant see the ray with that. I am sorry, I mean the beamed point. And I know that you can see it with that pointer that I buy. I already saw the point. It was strong and bright. But after some minutes it wasn't bright anymore.

You get what you pay for. If you want a nice, low powered,(5mW.) laser, in your choice of RED, GREEN, or VIOLET (BLU-RAY), send a PM to robjdixon...............rob

I have a similar laser myself, but I paid S$19 for it (US$12). The thing with these types of lasers is not really that they are weak, but rather that the contacts are poor. Not sure how to solve it though, but playing around with the screw over the battery end seems to help.

I broke it to see the inside and it looks like this:
b12426i168.jpg

This is the last piece I can't break anymore.

Can I modify it with any ways?

Last edited:
Most likely not.. it wouldn't be worth the time you spend trying to mod it. Check out www.o-like.com for inexpensive, high-quality laser pointers. You'll be able to replace that cheap red pointer with something that is so much better you'll wonder why you ever bought that in the first place.

oh wow, u actually managed to get it off?
If you wanna have a go at salvaging that pointer, just solder on a battery holder or two to hold enough batteries to give it the 4.5V it needs. If it's just a contact problem like I said earlier, the laser should work as good as when u first pressed the button.

But nope, there's no way u're gonna get it to a higher power than what it's rated to be.

Well I know that I cant see the ray with that. I am sorry, I mean the beamed point. And I know that you can see it with that pointer that I buy. I already saw the point. It was strong and bright. But after some minutes it wasn't bright anymore.

Again... you answered your own question.... :whistle:
Those small batteries will not last more than a few minutes with the
laser ON for extended periods...

We don't know which country you're in since your Profile doesn't say...
You could try DX or O-Like to find a decent Laser...

Get yourself a pointer that is better quality with better batteries...
better still with rechargeable batteries...

Jerry

Those pointers can be had for the price of a Coke around here. He said it was 1mW and "after 1 minute the intensity decreased". The problem is that those lasers are a bare chip bonded to a little heat sink that does not radiate very well. You can get 5-8 mW, but they heat up in just a couple seconds. And it means changing a surface mount part. Plus there is no real way to shed more heat.

--John

HIMNL9

..... and, as you can easy see from the pic, all the "driver" they have is a resistor in series to the diode :p :D .....

.... if you pull the circuit board out of the slot in the metal lens housing you will find that the laser is a small chip soldered to the front of the board....

Regards rog8811

D

Deleted member 8382

go dealextreme and get something better. For some euros, you have lots of dollars hauehaue