Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Cigarette Lighter?

Thats awesome Rog! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I'm still waiting for my module to arrive. I'll be there soon with mine I hope.
Great job!!!

I had a family member who worked at a jewlers . She showed me a lighter once that had a laser that you ran your finger through
and the action of breaking the beam actually light the unit. Anything other would be to risky. ;)

She showed me a lighter once that had a laser that you ran your finger through
and the action of breaking the beam actually light the unit

Just off to google that, sounds interesting. Any idea how much it was?

Regards rog8811

Just saw your video ;)
Pretty sweet!

Lol, a "rickster" driver ;D
It's pronounced "Rockstar" ;D

BTW, how did you get 3 9V batteries inside a zippo case? :-?

BTW, how did you get 3 9V batteries inside a zippo case?

GP10A batteries are 21mm long and 10mm diameter, they are tight but they go ;)

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
She showed me a lighter once that had a laser that you ran your finger through
and the action of breaking the beam actually light the unit

Just off to google that, sounds interesting. Any idea how much it was?

Regards rog8811
Hi rog no idea on the price . I will tell you that it had more diamonds on it than Princess Di wedding crown. (meant as humor)
It had to have been bigg dollars as it was one eloquent unit. Next time I see her I'll ask.

It sounds a bit like a special commission for someone. I couldn't find anything about it.

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
It sounds a bit like a special commission for someone. I couldn't find anything about it.

Regards rog8811
Well she worked in a mall in Tampa and whilst it was a "fancy" place I doubt it to be a commision like jewler. Who Knows.

Colibri Beam Sensor Lighter
You can find them for under $60
21CG0SNR1AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Are you sure it's a Laser and not an IR beam.... :-?

I can't see a laser being used for the sensor beam.... :-? :-?

Yeah, it's definately not a laser, just a red LED.

I did all sorts of searches and couldn't find that, thanks SK, off to have look...

It helps if you're actually so old, you can remember when they first came out. (if you need any help tracking down old Colecovision Game cartridges, I can help with that too  :) ).

I even remember the tv commercial (yes, a tv commercial for a cigarette lighter), it showed one of the lighters standing by itself and then a butterfly landed on the side of it, breaking the beam and lighting the lighter.

Opening the top of the lighter activates the butane, beam and sensor; breaking the beam collapses a battery charged circuit to a capacitor, that sends it's load to a spark gap, next to the butane nipple. -Since lifting the top also activates the butane, so you can't really just leave the top open for long or all your gas will leak out.

When these first came out (early 80's), this was high end stuff and they sold for almost $200 dollars (that's 1980 dollars, mind you).
That's about what you could've paid for a nice Sony Walkman.

NOTE: I think the Colibri Group went bankrupt, so ebay is going to be your best bet for finding one of these in new condition.

Maybe you could pick up a couple of used ones for cheap and hack them so instead of the cutout on the side being a beam break switch, it could actually be a path for the laser beam and the place you hold up to your cigarette to light it? -no butane needed.