Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Cigarette Lighter?

Diachi said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1231476210/60#61 date=1231795545][quote author=Tech_Junkie link=1231476210/40#48 date=1231731837][quote author=wannaburn link=1231476210/40#40 date=1231697065]Even at 250ma, I cant think of any diodes that will light a smoke.  Definately one of the trickiest builds to ever grace the pages here. I think its time to find my old Zippo ;)

Do your homework...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-u1Ieg0uo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01zeNoY0cs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmlNzX_QHC8
[/quote]
Did someone forget to mention that green lasers do not use green diodes, as most noobs think? ::)
A green laser is DPSS, meaning it has to use a pump diode to get green light. It is a difficult process, where many crystals are required.

You have to use at least a 1 WATT IR diode to get 200mW of green.
That is using the highest efficiency crystals ::)

Now tell me, how much current does a 1 Watt c-mount require? ::)

In conclusion:
YOU sir, are the one who needs to do his homework.[/quote]

With some skillz you can get 300mW from a 1W pump  ;)[/quote]
300mW of what? Green or IR?
If green, then you would need some beefy crystals :eek:

daguin

` said:
Lay off on him, he might have the stupidest ideas, but hey[highlight] he's still a person [/highlight]:D

So was Jeffrey Dahmer

Peace,
dave

Sorry my comment rubbed you guys the wrong way, but I'm sure wannaburn can defend himself if he felt the need to do so.

I miss read his post. I though we were talking about mW, not mA. My bad. Sorry wannaburn.

Like I've clearly said many times I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. I will continue to do my homework. Personally I think I've come a long way in a short time, but I know I have a much longer way to go.

For being experts you guys are pretty negative. "You cant do this", "you cant do that", with minimum explanations of why not. That all good, but how about "if you want to do this you need to" or "it wont work because of this, so you need to do that". Criticisms contribute nothing but negativity without an explanation and solution. And if you don't want to take time to explain, then don't post at all. This is a discussion, an idea pool if you will. The more ideas the better. If out of 100 ideas you get 10 solid ones you are doing great. This is how creativity works. If you want to criticize every thought, then nothing will get accomplished and people get uninspired.

Can you absorb this Spyderz or are you going to keep raining negativity all over this thread like you have been the whole time? If you have nothing positive to contribute please lurk somewhere else. I don't want to turn this into an argument. It's a waste of time an energy.

Debate is fine, but leave the negativity at the door please.

daguin said:
[quote author=` link=1231476210/60#63 date=1231796380]Lay off on him, he might have the stupidest ideas, but hey[highlight] he's still a person [/highlight]:D

So was Jeffrey Dahmer

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Hey Dave!! Nice to meet you and thanks for chiming in. Any ideas or thoughts on the lighter subject?

daguin

Tech_Junkie said:
[quote author=daguin link=1231476210/60#65 date=1231798155][quote author=` link=1231476210/60#63 date=1231796380]Lay off on him, he might have the stupidest ideas, but hey[highlight] he's still a person [/highlight]:D
So was Jeffrey Dahmer
Peace,
dave[/quote]
Hey Dave!! Nice to meet you and thanks for chiming in. Any ideas or thoughts on the lighter subject?
[/quote]

You don't actually need/want me in this thread. I'm not a "burner" and I am not into "parlor tricks." Part of what you see as unexplained negativity may simply be fatigue from explaining the same things again when all of the information is already in the forum somewhere. It is a process that teachers and professors must deal with on a daily basis. However, others do not and are not necessarily prepared for that seemingly endless repetition. If someone knowledgeable tells you something can't be done, it is not his responsibility to convince you or even explain it to you. It is YOUR responsibility to either accept it or do the needed research to learn about it. Debate REQUIRES a negating response. Also, these are people as well. Why do you deserve to be treated with respect when your "demands" show that you do not really respect them?

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=Tech_Junkie link=1231476210/60#67 date=1231798722][quote author=daguin link=1231476210/60#65 date=1231798155][quote author=` link=1231476210/60#63 date=1231796380]Lay off on him, he might have the stupidest ideas, but hey[highlight] he's still a person [/highlight]:D
So was Jeffrey Dahmer
Peace,
dave[/quote]
[/quote]

You don't actually need/want me in this thread.  I'm not a "burner" and I am not into "parlor tricks."  Part of what you see as unexplained negativity may simply be fatigue from explaining the same things again when all of the information is already in the forum somewhere.  It is a process that teachers and professors must deal with on a daily basis.  However, others do not and are not necessarily prepared for that seemingly endless repetition.  If someone knowledgeable tells you something can't be done, it is not his responsibility to convince you or even explain it to you.  It is YOUR responsibility to either accept it or do the needed research to learn about it.  Debate REQUIRES a negating response.  Also, these are people as well.  Why do you deserve to be treated with respect when your "demands" show that you do not really respect them?

Peace,
dave[/quote]
Well said  :)

Debate REQUIRES a negating response.  Also, these are people as well.  Why do you deserve to be treated with respect when your "demands" show that you do not really respect them?

Peace,
dave

I demand respect for the thread, not myself. I could care less what people think of me. Yeah I'm not even near your class, but you guys were here once too. We were ALL noobs at some point. Debates have contrasting opinions, not necessarily negatives ones. I don't consider someone saying, "I have a really good idea! But I can't tell anyone " part of an intellectual debate. Its a waste of time and space and brings nothing to the table.

There are soooooo many forums with these little negativity snipers. They are nothing in real life, so they lash out behind computer screens, and spread negativity like the plague. I've dealt with this for so many years that its a knee jerk response when I get some diluted opinion, a "you cant do that" attitude or any kind of negativity from people. I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, I just want to build a laser lighter. If someone can help great!! If you cant, move on. Its quite simple.

daguin

Tech_Junkie said:
I demand respect for the thread, not myself. I could care less what people think of me. Yeah I'm not even near your class, but you guys were here once too. We were ALL noobs at some point. Debates have contrasting opinions, not necessarily negatives ones.  I don't consider someone saying, "I have a really good idea! But I can't tell anyone " part of an intellectual debate. Its a waste of time and space and brings nothing to the table.

There are soooooo many forums with these little negativity snipers. They are nothing in real life, so they lash out behind computer screens, and spread negativity like the plague. I've dealt with this for so many years that its a knee jerk response when I get some diluted opinion, a "you cant do that" attitude or any kind of negativity from people. I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, I just want to build a laser lighter. If someone can help great!! If you cant, move on. Its quite simple.

So, once again, people only have value if they have something you want and are willing to give it to you in the form you desire.

Otherwise they should just stay out of your way/life/thread.

This is where I state that you are not worth my time.

Have a nice life.

If you grow enough to take your eyes off of yourself, you might want to try it again

Peace,
dave

So, once again, people only have value if they have something you want and are willing to give it to you in the form you desire.  

Otherwise they should just stay out of your way/life/thread.  

This is where I state that you are not worth my time.

Have a nice life.

If you grow enough to take your eyes off of yourself, you might want to try it again

Peace,
dave

LOL You are completely wrong and reading way to much into this. Myself??? If you hadn't noticed there are like 5 other people posting who are thinking of, or have thought of making a laser lighter too. Along with a few hundred that checked out this thread in the last 4 days LOL. If this was about myself I'd PM all the top technicians personally for advice, not post a thread. There is hundreds of threads on here were someone says something contrary to the thread and they get shit shoved down there throat for it. Many by you, so step back and look in the mirror before you judge me. ;D Have a good life too, I wish you all the best brother, and believe it or not it was nice to meet you.

Please no more off topic discussions... "Cant we all just get along?" ~Rodney King

Tech_Junkie,
Everyone did start somewhere, as a noob typically. For instance, Dave started here less than a year ago (at least started posting, I have no idea about previous lurking though) and is now one of the pre-eminent posters. The "best" posters and contributors, those that go from noob to pro and start to help out other members most all start the same way. They read TONS, they read everything. Every sticky, many threads, especially the many threads that get linked to most. Not that I'm a pro or anything, but I read every thread on this forum for 3 months before ever even posting.

99% of questions asked on this forum have already been answered, so reading is the first step. It's also the activity that MOST noobs do the least. Most people join this forum, see one video or thread, and go crazy asking questions and wanting to be spoon-fed answers on how to do such and such (most often "omg-zors, how do I make my cheap laser/CD player/toaster oven into a super leet burning death lazor?!?!?" or some variation there of). So, the pros all got to where they are by reading, and then are asked 100 times a week to answer asinine questions that are already answered, and the answers can be found with less than an hour of reading, most often just the sticky topics in each section. I'm sure you can understand the frustration of the pros when 100 new posters ask the same little questions over and over. If it doesn't appear that you did the little requisite reading necessary to understand, then the pros are much less inclined to help you (help those who help themselves, I've heard).

But that still leaves that 1% of questions, and that's why the pros are still here and still post answers. Those people who come and read and learn inevitably come up with questions or don't understand something, and that's the exact reason that the pros answer questions. That good question does come up, and incites discussions, and it's great. But those only come about when someone has put in the leg work to learn what the pros have already offered up for the noobs to learn from, in stickies, tutorials, FAQs, etc. And the pros only want to help you when you are respectful of them and their experience. There are some GREAT people here, with great knowledge and experience in every kind of laser you can imagine. We are lucky enough to have, literally, experts in most every aspect of lasers, and people smart enough to tell you that they don't know but telling you where you can look to find it. When someone is offering up their expertise for free, I'm inclined to be as respectful and thankful as I can be.

This forum HIGHLY values reading and learning, and THEN asking when you don't understand something. The members here also look quite lowly upon those who wish to be spoon-fed, and haven't done any work on their own to try to find their own answers. As much as anything else, the pros (the ones most likely able to help) highly value the respectfulness of new members who are, after all, asking others for free help and charity. Some may seem snippy, but remember that droves of noobs come into this site looking for a cheap fix or free answers to questions that are already in the FAQ, and at times, even noobs with the best of intentions can look like the freeloaders.

Maybe that helps as far as the understanding of why some posters have responded the way they have. Maybe not, but I tried.

I have only been posting here for a few short months. I read through all the numerous threads on this forum before I posted my first comment/question. I know next to nothing about electronics but learned a great deal in these threads. When I did post my questions, I was greeted with respect as well as very simple answers to my questions. Answers that I (and any 3rd grader) could understand. I have successfully built 2 lasers as of now. At no point did i feel that there was any disrespect towards me. Everyone has been very helpful as well as understanding that I am not as learned as most other members here. I looked for the answers before i posted my questions.

Ted

JLSE

lasersbee said:
[quote author=Tech_Junkie link=1231476210/40#48 date=1231731837][quote author=wannaburn link=1231476210/40#40 date=1231697065]Even at 250ma, I cant think of any diodes that will light a smoke.  Definately one of the trickiest builds to ever grace the pages here. I think its time to find my old Zippo ;)

Do your homework...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-u1Ieg0uo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01zeNoY0cs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmlNzX_QHC8
[/quote]

Me Thinks................

before you tell a long time member with over 1190 posts to do his homework... :-?
you should have perhaps done the same...

Those 532nm lasers in the videos you linked to....  use a hell of a lot more current than 250mA as
referenced by the person who you say didn't do his homework...

The subject wasn't... It can't be done.... but... It would be difficult to do with only 250ma.. IMHO

BTW... the Jerk in the second Video wasn't even wearing protective Laser eyewear... :-?

Jerry[/quote]

LOL, you turn the PC off for 5min and some n00b gets lippy :eek: anyhooo...

Like Laserbee said, I was trying to convey the fact that at 250ma you have very few options. When you talk of small cells, going by their absolute max current out, it also means a few other issues.

Say you can achieve even 350ma in a penlight or Zippo, you are limited to a IIIb diode. A class IV wont even sneeze at that current. Your only option I would see possible at such low current is red or IR. A red under those conditions might put out 150mW at best, 200mW if some decent batteries can be used.

I am a smoker, and have been building lasers for over a year, hundreds so far. Believe me, if anyone around here has tried lighting his smokes with a laser its me (and my goggles of course ;))
I do not regurgitate google search results, when I offer some advice, I do it from experiance.

With that said, good luck to all who try this, as I am one of them. Question is who will finish first? ;) ;D

*Edit* To achieve 350mW of 532 your looking an underdriven 2watt pump, most likely using 17-1800ma / 1.8amps.
If you can find a battery that can deliver almost 2amps of current that fits in a Zippo or a penlight, I will retract my 'n00b' comment ::)

pullbangdead said:
Tech_Junkie,
Everyone did start somewhere, as a noob typically.  For instance, Dave started here less than a year ago (at least started posting, I have no idea about previous lurking though) and is now one of the pre-eminent posters.  The "best" posters and contributors, those that go from noob to pro and start to help out other members most all start the same way.  They read TONS, they read everything.  Every sticky, many threads, especially the many threads that get linked to most.  Not that I'm a pro or anything, but I read every thread on this forum for 3 months before ever even posting. ect...

I totally understand that. I spent a over a month reading the forum before signing up and have clearly admitted I'm no expert. Like I said, if I wanted a question directly answered I would have just PM'd the top technicians and not wasted my time with a thread. My thread was created for a group discussion and not to just answer my personal direct question. I guess I should of worded my original question better. I know (by reading the forum) how to build a laser powerful enough to light a cigarette. I just wanted to get some ideas on design and practicality. I was trying to create a think tank. There are rules to a think tank, and I was just trying impose those rules here. That's all. I'm very sorry this pissed people off, but on the other half of the coin a lot of great ideas surfaced. So if people want to get mad at me that's fine, but everyone interested in building a laser lighter got their ideas out and learned a few things in return. Which was the only thing I was trying to do.

And I did read wannaburns post wrong. I know you can burn a cigarette with a laser under 250mW, and when I thought I saw him say you cant I assumed he did not know what he was talking about. Once again my bad. Just because a person has a pile of posts does not mean they completely know what they are talking about. Anyone who cruses forums can tell you that.

Hey Tech_Junkie....
It wasn't what you commented to "wannaburm"...
(everyone here is entitled to there own opinion)...

It was just the way you said it...  
no offense.... but you sounded like a smart ass...   :cool:

Jerry

(700th post)

lasersbee said:
Hey Tech_Junkie....
It wasn't what you commented to "wannaburm"...
(everyone here is entitled to there own opinion)...

It was just the way you said it...  
no offense.... but you sounded like a smart ass...   :cool:

Jerry

(700th post)

Yeah my net educate sucks. I've been online waaay to long. I also have a problem assuming people know what I'm talking about, so I'm direct. Please dont read to much into my posts.

Personally I'm one of the most honest, kindhearted, generous person you'll meet. I'm not a genius but am very smart. I'm an artist, and come from a long line of "Jack of all trades". When I find something I'm interested in I dive right in and gather as much information about the subject I can digest. If anyone needs help I am always the first there, and I never forget a favor. I have also been doing volunteer work for underprivileged children for almost 25 years now. I was an Iron worker when I got hurt, and am now disabled.

JLSE

"And I did read wannaburns post wrong. I know you can burn a cigarette with a laser under 250mW, and when I thought I saw him say you cant I assumed he did not know what he was talking about. Once again my bad. Just because a person has a pile of posts does not mean they completely know what they are talking about. Anyone who cruses forums can tell you that. "

You have also failed to realize, the post you responded to makes no mention of mW, but rather ma. as the issue.

I think you should spend more time reading and less time posting.

My original point was that of power issues in such a small host. I never said you cant, difficult is not the same thing...

Do your homework :-?

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=milliamp&i=47040,00.asp

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/milliwatt

http://www.webster-dictionary.net/d.aspx?w=Cant

http://www.webster-dictionary.net/d.aspx?w=difficult