Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kryton Grooves coming back!

LaZeRz

p1010303u.jpg

Wow, the finish on these is excellent.

Nice build Jordon :)

Very pretty! I'm real pleased how well these came out. I was expecting a crappu finish on them.

Well, it still shouldn't of taken that long but the price was worth it. However, it's never about if its worth it, it's all about how cheap we can get it.

Seeing how well they really can do with stuff other than sime heat sinks, makes me want to get a while new design made. There are many things that could be improved. Like having a tail keylock and a side button for power, proper driver slot made for inserting drivers, stuff like that.

DTR has a discovered some sort of layer or treatment on the grooves that is affecting electrical conductivity of the hosts. I contacted the machine show to see if what it is.
This would explain why my setup with a round driver was acting so damn weird.

I don't know if a residue from the cleaning process may cause this or not, or if they have a clear anodizing or something. I'll update when I hear back from them.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Hmm, wonder if soaking them in a caustic solution for a short while will dissolve the protective layer. I would only want to remove the solution off the threads though as its probably there to protect the aluminum.

Last edited:
DTR has a discovered some sort of layer or treatment on the grooves that is affecting electrical conductivity of the hosts. I contacted the machine show to see if what it is.
This would explain why my setup with a round driver was acting so damn weird.

I don't know if a residue from the cleaning process may cause this or not, or if they have a clear anodizing or something. I'll update when I hear back from them.
It could be residue of the machining oil on the surfaces. One or more spring wires with sharp points on the tip, mounted to the driver and contacting the inside of the barrel should work if that is the case. Maybe do 3 of them, at 120 degrees around a round driver to center it. Bent music wire (ie piano wire, thick guitar string, ect) should suffice. Only speculation on my part at this point. I'm still out in California and have not seen the new Kryton Grooves yet that arrived and are waiting for me at my sisters house when I return.

Bob

Apparently, she said the finish was not so "clear" so they went ahead and anodized them with a clear finish

I really wasn't thinking they were, since I never requested it, and anodizing costs $. Normally chinese aren't going to go through any extra trouble without being paid.

Last edited:
I just bought a 9mm diode from DTR.

I'm going to build a 2.4A dual benboost build.
IIRC (will need to look a the board layout and confirm) the heatsink pad on the benboost is continuous with the -Vin so it can be heatsinked directly to the host wall.

I'll record the whole build, and will try to get the remainder of my benboosts assembled for anyone who wants them.

I'm also going to redo the round mohgasm build since now I kow about the clear anodizing which explains why it was randomly working and not working.
I got caught up on everything Friday, so I should have time to do everything this week.

Last edited:
I dont actually have mine yet, but if you can access the area with a sharp knife it should be easy to scrape away a very thin layer of material from the surface. I often used a leatherman to improve the contact and/or adjust the internal dimensions of parts of my hosts a little. :beer:

i believe DTR sanded his with a dremel.
anything to scratch it up will work, work the inside and outter threads with sand paper a little to expose the aluminum.

No wonder why this first mirror finish groove was talking me forever to get into smoothing out the metal! I believe the tail cap section has a lot thicker anodizing then the battery tube.

I've any out a newsletter to every Mohgasm customer. It was the easiest way I could think of to inform everyone of this problem.
Check your emails for a description of the problem, and what needs to be done.

And thanks to DTR for figuring it all out.

Last edited:
Mail received thanks for the notification! Still looking foreward to my krytons. Going to do some reading in this thread now before i make stupid statements :p

Greetings!