Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob VS. LarryFDFW AR lens VS. Aixiz standards

Milos

This Saturday I received from Jay his Meredith glass lens mod assembly that fits our standard aixiz modules for 5.6mm diodes.

I tested it with same exact setting as described at the very beginning of this thread. I double checked raw output without any lens to make sure reference is still 338mW out of my personal Stingray at less then 5mm away from the kenometer sensor.

here are results obtained 3 times.

No lens 338mW
Standard Aixiz Glass lens 278mW
Standard Aixiz Acrylic lens opened on the back 268mW
Larry 405-G-1 lens 308mW
Jayrob 405-G-1 lens 314mW
Jayrob Meredith glass mod for aixiz lens 322mW

Aixiz standard Glass lens lets 82% light through (blocks 18%)
Acrylic Lens lets 79.5% light through (blocks 20.5%)
Jay's 405-G-1 lens lets 93% light through (blocks 7%)
Larry's 405-G-1 lens lets 91% light through (blocks 9%)
Jayrob Meredith glass mod for aixiz lens lets 95.3% light through (blocks only 4.7%)

Increase in output power of Jay's * *405-G-1 lens over standard Aixiz glass lens = 13%
Increase in output power of Larry's 405-G-1 lens over standard Aixiz glass lens = 10.5%
Increase in output of Jay's Meredith glass mod for aixiz lens over standard Aixiz glass = 15.8%

I was very pleased to see even better results than with 405-G-1 lens, although beam diameter is slightly bigger. Still, it is noticeably tighter than standard aixiz glass. I wanted to show this difference on the photo side by side, but results are not as exciting as it looks in real life.

Projected dot appears the same as 405-G-1 lens when use on VIOLET or RED diodes. In other words, photo of 405nm and 658nm splash from the beginning of this thread still counts for this Meredith lens.

Beam diameter comparison pictures. -attempt :-(

again, differences are more noticeable in real life. !

from left to right.

#1 Aixiz standard glass ~270mW
#2 Jay's or Larry's 405-G-1 300+mW
#3 Jay's Meredith glass mod 300+mW
#4 Aixiz glass lens without threads on front.

If you are into getting all the red light out of your laser, This Meredith mod lens is the way to go!

best regards

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    686.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Maybe you could add the Virtualvillage AR coated acrylic for red to the overview (and also the standard Aixiz without opened back; that'd interest me). It should have around 88% transmission for a very good price.

Increase in output power of Jay's * *405-G-1 lens over standard Aixiz glass lens = 13%
Increase in output power of Larry's 405-G-1 lens over standard Aixiz glass lens = 10.5%
Increase in output of Jay's Meredith glass mod for aixiz lens over standard Aixiz glass = 15.8%

I was very pleased to see even better results than with 405-G-1 lens, although beam diameter is slightly bigger. Still, it is noticeably tighter than standard aixiz glass. I wanted to show this difference on the photo side by side, but results are not as exciting as it looks in real life.

Milos,

once again, thanks for the outstanding effort and for providing us with your results. I was particularly looking forward to the difference betwen the 405-G-1 and Meredith, because I think the 405-G-1 "looks" quite nice on a red and unlike your own observations, I find the 405-G-1 looks a lot "cleaner" on a red than on a 6X. However, I have only tried my 405-G-1 on a LCC (& not open can) and who knows, maybe there are differences between the various reds... :thinking:

Here's a pic of my LCC w/405-G-1 against a LOC with AixiZ glass. Besides the elogngated "line", the two are almost as splash-free, imo.

I thought about getting Jay's Meredith mod but for a difference of 3%, I'd just assume get a second 405-G-1 which will provide more flexibilty as I can use it on both wavelengths :beer:

Oh and... :kewlpics: btw!

Attachments

• JayRob-405-G-1.jpg
    JayRob-405-G-1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 270

Milos

Maybe you could add the Virtualvillage AR coated acrylic for red to the overview (and also the standard Aixiz without opened back; that'd interest me). It should have around 88% transmission for a very good price.

I might have if i had VV AR coated for red, but I never got one. The reason is I do not believe we should be focusing with acrylic lenses when it comes to 200mW + lasers. It degrades the lens even though power output remains. Degradation can be seen as a white or drk dot in the center of projected dot, as well as blurred and deformed dot when viewed from 10m+ well colimated beam.
Also, we already know that power output will be reduced in reds when back is not opened to at least 5mm!

cheers,

Traveller,

Thanks,
I generally feel the same about multi use of 405-G-1 as i prefer beam diameter, and performance.

your bottom picture shows well the difference in line length between standard aixiz glass, and jay's AR coated lenses.

The difference in "splash" between any open can (LOC) vs. Closed can (LCC) would be that LOC will have additional softly projected pattern around the dot that directly reflects shape of diode cavity looking from the top. It is only noticable in certain conditions that doesn't bother anyone :) apparently. Lets see if i can dig out pic quick - i now i have one.

best regards

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
The point is that the power gain from the 405 or meredith lens is mentioned in about every 3rd post on this forum, while I've NEVER seen a gain for opening the back - there was one post giving a good argument that it wouldn't make a significant difference, though. It would be nice to get a FACT here.

Traveller;

There is a good optical reason the red LCC has a different beam pattern.

I believe the red LCC has a window over the diode.

This window is compensated for, in the optical design of the Hi-Power lens.

Dr-Ebert;

There are many problems with "Facts" for the stock Aixiz plastic lenses.

They vary in power output from Aixiz.

This is expected, when you are paying under 50 cents for a lens.

I agree with Milos; plastic lenses are a waste of time for "over 150mw LD's".

All the glass lenses I have tested...
are far more consistent than Aixiz plastic.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

jayrob

The point is that the power gain from the 405 or meredith lens is mentioned in about every 3rd post on this forum, while I've NEVER seen a gain for opening the back - there was one post giving a good argument that it wouldn't make a significant difference, though. It would be nice to get a FACT here.

I did a comparison with red between AixiZ acrylic (back un-opened) vs AixiZ acrylic (back opened)...

This post, from 4/08, shows a picture of the lenses (un-opened vs opened), and the details of the power comparison:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/l...d.php?t=20709&highlight=club+jayrob&page=2#30

The difference was quite a lot. Over 11%!:yh:

I just tested a lower powered blu-ray just out of curiosity. A PHR at 121mA's gave 101mW's for AixiZ acrylic (back un-opened), and 106mW's for AixiZ acrylic (back opened). A difference of about 5%. Strange... more of a difference with red, than with blu-ray. Maybe because the lens had to be closer to the blu-ray diode to get focus..

Miloš, thanks for writing back with your always informative posts! I'm glad you liked my Meredith glass lens fit for AixiZ modification! :)

Your measurements are the same as what I have measured...
Jay

Last edited:
The difference in "splash" between any open can (LOC) vs. Closed can (LCC) would be that LOC will have additional softly projected pattern around the dot that directly reflects shape of diode cavity looking from the top. ...
Lets see if i can dig out pic quick

Ah, yes, there's the tell-tale "rectangular" pattern we all know so well from the BRs... :sold:

Thx for the explanation and for digging up that pic :beer:

This thread has been very interesting! Kudos Milos for the very informative comparisons. I also want to commend both builders for their ability to provide us with quality lens assemblies. I have learned alot more than I knew 2 weeks ago.

millirad;

The new Hi-Power lens assembly you purchased...
has a slightly larger stainless steel aperture.

That should increase the power a % or 2 on a Red OC build.

Thanks for the compliment.

Please post your results, after you test your lens.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
I did a comparison with red between AixiZ acrylic (back un-opened) vs AixiZ acrylic (back opened)...

This post, from 4/08, shows a picture of the lenses (un-opened vs opened), and the details of the power comparison:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/l...d.php?t=20709&highlight=club+jayrob&page=2#30

The difference was quite a lot. Over 11%!:yh:

I just tested a lower powered blu-ray just out of curiosity. A PHR at 121mA's gave 101mW's for AixiZ acrylic (back un-opened), and 106mW's for AixiZ acrylic (back opened). A difference of about 5%. Strange... more of a difference with red, than with blu-ray. Maybe because the lens had to be closer to the blu-ray diode to get focus..
Thanks Jay! Maybe one day you can also do a comparison for the LPC. I guess a lot depends on the beam emission characteristics (beam aperture).

Last edited:

jayrob

Sure I could easily test a long open can with the (AixiZ acrylic un-opened) vs the (AixiZ acrylic back opened), but I am 99.9% sure that the percentage of difference will be the same (or very close) as the test that I did with the Sony/Senkat red diode...
Jay

Possibly. Still, it takes only 1 minute; and you were surprised at the differences between red and BR as well, after all.