Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob VS. LarryFDFW AR lens VS. Aixiz standards

Re: Jayrob VS. LarryFDFW AR lens VS. Aixiz standar

jayrob said:
P.S. I have tried to contact Igor at least 4 times about comparing these with his best. ... Igor asked me to send him a picture of the Meredith 'splash' because he told me that all of his lenses had splash, some more than others.
I showed Igor pics of my 6x with the 405-G-1 yesterday and he told me it looks exactly like his top-power lens. That is why in his GB Igor wanted to go for a compromise in raw power vs. clean power.

My own personal opinion, being the owner of JayRob's lens, is that although I can live with the so-called splash (maybe better described as the crystal's byproduct) the first one of you three to arrange for a group buy wins. After all, who will be willing to pay up to $30 more for a maximum of a 5% increase in total o/p power?

p.s. Here are some key notes I mined a while back from Igor's GB thread. The last three in the list were the final choices. From those, he settled on #2 because although #3 was more powerful, it was less "clean"... NA data is available below too.

Just to clear one thing up. There won't be two types of coatings. We could afford two types with any of the first six lenses, but not with these. Luckily these have a broadband coating, which is very good at just around 405nm and 660nm. I did a comparison with a lens coated specifically for 405nm, and there is less than one percent of a difference, resulting from the difference in reflections.

So the broadband is more than just good enough, especially since as it is, the lens brings more of an increase than expected. When i thought the number would be under 20%, 0.8% more could bring it a bit closer.... But we are over 20% even for diodes with the lowest losses in acrylics.

And if one lens can do both, it's both cheaper, less complicated and more practical for everyone...

So we will have one universal lens instead of two. There is no need to specify the coating, because the best lens so far comes with a 400-700nm coating. Basically, everyone just needs to figure out how many they want. They will work with any visible wavelength diode, reducing reflections to less than 1% on average and even less with reds and blu rays...
--------------------------------------------------

It's been like this..
Manufacturer 1:
- v1 - the original custom lens, 30 pieces - FAIL - spherical abberations

Manufacturer 2:
- Doesn't even pick up the phone anymore unless caught off guard, in which case they say "next week".

"Manufacturer" 3:
- v2 - first custom lens rescue attempt, 2 samples - FAIL - bubble gum lens?
- v3 - second rescue attempt, 2 samples - WORKS! Oh wait, no it doesn't? Wait, now it does? - FAIL - astigmatic lens/low quality

At this point i realized i was relying too much on too few manufacturers, and went nuts, and started searching for other options, by writing and calling more than ten new manufacturers.

I found:

"Manufacturer" 3's actual manufacturer:
- v4 - third resue attempt, one sample - FAIL - this is a lens?  :-/
- v5 - fourth rescue attempt, one sample  - FAIL - this was the first lens that was scratched before i got my hands on it, seems like it was made like this :-?
- v6 - fifth rescue attempt, one sample - FAIL - could almost work, has holes in the beam, quality too low

From the whole bunch v3 and v6 were the best, and yet they were horrible...  :'(
v1 was and still is the highest quality lens (precision machined lens), but it's spherical, and as such useless for us.
Here end the cheap lenses.

Luckily i also found:

Manufacturer 4:
- wanted to send representatives from France and Germany for a tour of my company, and to convince me to buy quality lenses at 68 EURO each for one piece and 40 EURO each for up to 500 pieces. They said we could talk about the price, once we get to larger quantities. They just didn't seem to understand that 250 pieces is a HUGE quantity for us... But i did get some usefull info.

Manufacturer 5:
- Lens #1 - WORKS!
- Lens #2 - WORKS even better!
- Lens #3 - increases the power the most, but has gaps in the beam - probably rejects from the high quality version. Not suitable for our needs, luckily this one was free. They were probably hoping that we don't need quality and that they could sell their rejects. The quality version costs twice as much as the first two of their lenses.

So we are now actually at lens 7-9, and v7 (Lens #1) & v8 (Lens #2) are the best so far.... The latter increasing the power the most.

We will go with the 8th custom lens attempt, for max power and thinnest beam. But i am hoping i can also order some of the first lens, because it makes a "cleaner" spot, due to the medium NA clipping the ugly edges of the fast axis, and creates a "fatter" beam..

Lens #2 will bring out all there is, so the spot shape will depend ONLY on the diode output shape. It's the only way to get all the power out, and means, that diodes with a weird shape output will create weird shape spots... As diodes get better, so will the spots..

It is usual in pointers to go for a lossy option, such as clipping the output with a low NA of the lens, to make the spot rounder, cleaner and prettier.
- An AixiZ lens for example actually makes a pretty nice, rounded off spot, due to the low NA of 0.3...
- Lens #1 creates a flatter spot, but still with a slightly rounded off fast axis, because the NA is 0.4.
- Lens #2 has a NA of 0.55 and brings out the entire output and creates a spot in the same shape.

These [last three lens samples] are high quality precision grade aspherics. Unlike all the others, these were designed for laser diodes. They even have diode window thickness compensation! Other than collimating the beam, their shape also undistorts the spherical abberations caused by the diode window! These are diffraction limited lenses! Lenses where the size of the foused spot depends only on the wavelength! These are lenses, that could write a disk!

And finally, a nice synopsis:
NA
Lens #1: 0.40
Lens #2: 0.55
Lens #3: 0.60

FL
Lens #1: 6.30 mm
Lens #2: 4.56 mm
Lens #3: 4.02 mm

Coating
Lens#1:  405nm and 660nm
Lens #2: 405nm and 660nm
Lens #3: 408nm

Power Output Improvement (Based on a 6x diode and Aixiz acrylic lens)
Lens #1: +16.6 %
Lens #2: +24.2 %
Lens #3:   No Data

Power Output Improvement (Based on a high wavelength PHR diode and Aixiz acrylic lens)
Lens #1: +17.5 %
Lens #2: +26.0 %
Lens #3: +26.0 %

Focusing and Burning (Data still to be properly valuated)
Lens #1:  Good?
Lens #2:  Some focusing and burning - less than a long FL?

Traveller;

I showed Igor pics of my 6x with the 405-G-1 yesterday and he told me it looks exactly like his top-power lens. That is why in his GB Igor wanted to go for a compromise in raw power vs. clean power.

Their is no reason to compromise on the lens design.

I have tested about 14 different glass lenses.

You pick the best power output, and if desired you can clip the splash (artifacts) with a circular retainer in front of the lens.

This retainer is what reduced the power output on the Red test done in this thread.

It also had to reduce the splash by a larger degree,
since the beam power is concentrated in the center of the beam.

I have tried 3 versions of Hi-Power lens assemblies.

1. Open Lens facing the Laser Diode - Daguin has one
* *Maximum power for Red OC's
lensassy1.jpg

* *(used for builders who do not use cut springs).

2. Lens Retainer tested above
* *(2% loss of power on Red OC w/less splash)
lensnut.jpg

* *(no loss on BR diodes)

3. New Stainless Retainer
* *Larger open aperture
* *(Laserbee is in process of testing one)

If you want less splash...
then you will have to use an aperture to block a small percentage of the beam.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

Milos

Larry, the two lenses I got from you both had this retaining ring in the back (above bottom picture) and the splash, as I said before, is IDENTICAL to Jay's lens with bigger opening on the back. Both, for red and for Violet.

Milos;

I am not questioning your testing.

Optically, the power reduction from the "same design lens" with a smaller lens aperture...

should reduce the "splash" from the fast axis of the Red laser diode.

All the sleds we disassemble, have the stainless aperture with a small hole for that very reason.

To eliminate the fast and slow axis beam elongation.

Here is also a quote from Daguin on the same idea:
The "halo" and "ghosts" around the beam can be very symmetrical. Make sure that the lens and window are clean and undamaged. After that all you can do is physically limit the "side reflection" in the beam (with an aperture).
LarryDFW

Last edited:

Milos

no problem at all, I just stated what i found between yours and Jays lens and their "splash"

also,

I am yet to see a clear picture showing comparison of reduced splash vs. commonly seen splashes.

I just might sit down and start playing with my lenses and different washers to reduce input and/or output, and see if there is a way to leave dot alone while cutting out the splash. I doubt though, but i can be wrong.

best regards

No offense to anyone, but personally, I have and will always buy something that is competed over from Jayrob.
Not only is he a great guy, but he is trustworthy and honest.
If there is a problem, he will go out of his way to fix it and make it right.
You will even get more than you paid for!
I have and will continue to buy from Jayrob.

Just my $.02.

Milos;

Just a recommendation from my experience on retaining washers,
from what I have experienced.

The first retainers I used were fairly thick in cross section. I have found that thinner retainers produce less reflections from the sides of the retainer.

I have changed to stainless steel retainers with rounded corners,
to allow thinner cross sections and minimize any reflections.

LarryDFW

I spend extra time in doing the mount the way I have chosen, so that's why mine is $6 dollars more than Larry's. (Who has copied my idea of using the AixiZ nut with focus ring)

Jay,

The biggest form of flattery is when someone copies your ideas.  ;)

cleaner

Cl3aN3r said:
I spend extra time in doing the mount the way I have chosen, so that's why mine is $6 dollars more than Larry's. (Who has copied my idea of using the AixiZ nut with focus ring)

Jake,

The biggest form of flattery is when someone copies your ideas.  ;)

cleaner
How else would you mount a new lens into an Axiz housing...
It seems to be a no-brainer... but to modify an Axiz lens nut... Duh..
And there is more than one way of doing that...IMO

Jerry

jayrob

Cl3aN3r said:
I spend extra time in doing the mount the way I have chosen, [highlight]so that's why mine is $6 dollars more than Larry's.[/highlight]
cleaner

That was before my $5 dollar price drop! ;)

And bare lenses are only $30 now... (shipped)

NO GLUE in my lens assembly! You won't have to worry about if it is glued in straight, or if the glue will begin to dry out or chip with heat. My lens assembly will last a lifetime. And you just may want to take it apart and clean the lens once a year! ;)

Glass 405nm7.jpg

I am mounting the 'flat' side of the lens on the drilled out 'lip' on my assembly.
The crown side of my lens sits inside my custom spacer/retainer that is only touching the outer mounting 'rim' of the lens that is made for mounting the lens.

Glass 405nm21.jpg

Jay

Last edited:

Milos

Finally my mission to get Aixiz to sell this lens is going somewhere. I contacted them today, and they said they got two samples of Glass lens assembly that fits their modules AR coated for 405nm lasers. They will be shipping me one sample for free to test and inform them if this will work out.

will keep you posted.

Milos;

This should be very interesting...

Aixiz has a difficult time, stocking their "normal" items. :rolleyes:

Do you have any specs on the lenses ?

Are they Chinese manufacture ?

O'like has one, but Suzie's site states a "20%" power loss
(vs 3.5% loss from your test in this thread on the Hi-Power lens assembly).

LarryDFW

Last edited:

jayrob

No offense to anyone, but personally, I have and will always buy something that is competed over from Jayrob.
Not only is he a great guy, but he is trustworthy and honest.
If there is a problem, he will go out of his way to fix it and make it right.
You will even get more than you paid for!
I have and will continue to buy from Jayrob.

Just my $.02.

Hey Spyder, thanks for you .02 worth! :)

I appreciate that comment very much!:thanks:
Jay

Milos

Milos;

This should be very interesting...

Aixiz has a difficult time, stocking their "normal" items. :rolleyes:

Do you have any specs on the lenses ?

Are they Chinese manufacture ?

O'like has one, but Suzie's site states a "20%" power loss
(vs 3.5% loss from your test in this thread on the Hi-Power lens assembly).

LarryDFW

Larry,
I don't have any specs on this lens. I was told that they had "many requests" for 405nm Glass AR coated lens assembly for their 5.6 blank modules, and that they were in the making. They finally got couple of samples from somewhere. I did not receive anything yet. I'll have to call "her" and remind her to to send it if she didn't already. You know how it is when they are giving it for free.

will keep you posted on this

Last edited:
ok heres my 2 cents one is 50 bucks and one is 30 bucks
i wish i could buy a few of these but cannot if they could be sold
for 20 bucks i would buy as few I know I know i'm a cheapskate well no i'm broke i wanted four kryton adjusters but $hit at 28 bucks each with knurled option would be over 100 bucks thats why i had me some made i wish i could pull off one of these builds but crap i can barely harvest a diode half the time
but you both seem to have a very nice product i will wait at the sidelines hoping for a drastic price drop if one doesnt come then acrylic lenses will work just right in my book --and hopefully another company doesnt start busting these out at 10-15 bucks a pop Larry and Jay you both Rock good luck on sales

Milos

completely understandable point of view John! I hope Aixiz will be good, and it will be priced below $15.

As much as i wish Jay and Larry good business, I wish for more affordable product, so don't you two get me wrong please :))

Don't forget though, that anything over 190mW will burn and deform your acrylic lens in less than 20min !! I proved this with my 200mW+ bluerays repeatedly. Glas is the only way to go for high powers!!
I am getting to the point that my investments in this hobby are getting to me and I will have to make and sell again few Stingrays to recover.