Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is the END of portable lasers nigh?

How does freq doubling handle with efficiency? I'm asking because IR lasers (1064nms) are efficient, but normal 532nms are horribly opposite.

Well, it doesn't. 532nm is the most efficient process of all DPSS as far as I know. Exotics like 473nm and 589nm which are very impressive if reaching 50mW are normally powered by 2 W or more IR diodes, and require precisely set up cooling.

Well, it doesn't. 532nm is the most efficient process of all DPSS as far as I know. Exotics like 473nm and 589nm which are very impressive if reaching 50mW are normally powered by 2 W or more IR diodes, and require precisely set up cooling.

Im not positive but I think 561nm may be even more efficient then 532(around 30%) ;)

-Alex

I'd say they have questionable business practices, yes. I can't verify the authenticity of any of their products personally, however. Styropyro was selling a WL "589" and found it to actually contain a 593.5 module.

Last edited:
Who cares about efficiency? If you are worried about efficiency, skip DPSS, and don't even look at ion lasers.

I'm still unsure why we care that easily purchasable high power portable lasers are going away. Is this not a step in the right direction?

bloom had a thread a while ago about direct doubling dpss lasers. With out a huge setup with tons of advanced optics it is a no go. so in short you are not going to go 1064>>>532

Haha I see. You tried WLs when they were still BAD. Their 5mw 589 is oooold. and that was when all of their stuff was baaaad.

May I also mention that the diode in the 589 was made by CNI?

I never tried WL because they have been shit and always will be. I don't care that the module was CNI, I wasn't talking about the 594's they sold, I was talking about everything else.

Sorry guys didn't mean to sound rude to anyone here...

Basically all you need is a frequency doubler(scroll down) and a 1064nm diode. Make sure the frequency doubler has 1064 as one of its acceptance wavelengths.

Just use the first frequency modifier.

If anything I said was incorrect PLEASE correct me.

Yes but you have to get a wavelength locked diode at 1064. As you probably know, semiconductor diodes like to shift in wavelength with things such as heat and current.

how's the IR leak on those puppies?
They are CNI made, so they are IR filtered

I guess I need to learn how to make my own Dpss laser now. How hard can it be lol.

very...but don't let it stop you from trying :) Start with 532, its by far the easiest to align.

how did this thread descend into a shitfight about WL lol?
We all know all they make is some overpriced crap out that for some reason sell REALLY well to little kids ...

They're kinda like the meth-head down the street.
"Hey there kids.... want to buy some drugs?"

Podo

As far as i know,CNI just don't want to sell their lasers to the buyer oversea but china. So it still purchasable. And i never heard of that "2015 stop production thing". :)

if you want to read more -- including WHY then go to-- laserpointersafety.org
At one time many here thought LPS.org was LPFs enemy BUT if anything they are our best friends- the enemy is those asshats you can see there who were caught and punished (some not very much tho-) for lasing aircraft--

Its believed 'they' will change the classes to group HHelds with laser levels- alignment lasers etc which they will then limit all to 5mW or less- see where to contact your people in power to send your objection to this-- saying its just another 'Cry Wolf' is stooied- this time IF we don't do something that will be our fate--

MET at SELEM 2014 and chatted a long time with Patrick Steward- press of ILDA- co founder of Pangolin and OP of LPS.org== AixiZ Laser is their biggest sponsor and also is trying to look out for us.. Help or don't help BUT if you are suggesting we do nothing then just shut the hell up-

Once our 'hobby' is so heavily impacted undoing these new laws will be IMPOSSIBLE-
and it will be to late to stop this-- or undo this--

No member should, from now on sell any > 5mW laser unless you get a pledge from the buyer that they will NEVER EVER lase anything like a aircraft- vehicles or ANY living things-

any forum member arrested/convicted for illegal lasing needs to be banned forever from all laser forums--

They HAS to be a way to ensure all new members are on the same page as us-
The common excuse of NOT knowing this was illegal must end--asap.

maybe a voucher system or forum big brother set-up may help screen out the idiots.
a probationary period might help-

the other common excuse some use is wanting to see the range by lasting aircraft-
new members should know the range which I consider to be infinity--thus ANY aircraft will be 'in range'-

ALSO I will be copying and posting every time a new person is taken to court and found guilty-- including their mug shots--

This thread, I hope, will do some good as long as its read by new members … it just may make a difference. but it may already be too late--

hak

how did this thread descend into a shitfight about WL lol?
We all know all they make is some overpriced crap out that for some reason sell REALLY well to little kids ...

They're kinda like the meth-head down the street.
"Hey there kids.... want to buy some drugs?"

Going to the coffee shop right now ^^

I love The Netherlands muwhahaah..

Keep dreaming yourself..

Hey have you seen the BST section yet ? lot's of kids buying lasers there from another (for cheap! OMG OMG) .. without safety instructions or glasses..
Keep dreaming :)

Last edited:
I just read that CNI will soon be ceasing production of all portable , pointer , handheld , anything that runs of battery power starting 2015.

Dragon Laser's 589nm DPSS spartans are also now in "limited supply".

Laserglow is also closing production of portable lasers I've heard.

With all these manufacturers closing up their portable laser production line and only sticking with labbies. Where will the laser hobbyists go for their portable DPSS laser needs? Is the future only limited to direct pumps?

-A slightly worried laser amateur who just sold his 500mW 532nm DPSS.

Good thing i just bought a 500mw 532nm DPSS... lol

Who cares about efficiency? If you are worried about efficiency, skip DPSS, and don't even look at ion lasers.

I'm still unsure why we care that easily purchasable high power portable lasers are going away. Is this not a step in the right direction?

the thing is , 99% of the crimes i see with lasers always show those crap 5mw ebay ones, has there ever been a blue lasing of an aircraft? i havent seen one yet though im sure it has happened.