Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Included Media to use: LSX or Pangolin?

does anyone know if LSX gives you lots of media to use like pangolin does?

yes LSX is awesome has tons of shows that come with the software and tons of frames

there is also the incredible abstract generator

moral of this post BUY LSX i love it

Last edited:

Things

Also, on the subject of shows for software, Pangolin has told me that they plan on porting LD2K shows to BEYOND. Can't wait to see some of them in real life! :)

Anyone planning on buying any product from drlava/Dr. Andrew Kibbler/Nautilus Integration (creator and primary supplier of LSX) should read these threads first:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f63/dr-andrew-kibbler-73233.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f63/canceled-order-dr-lava-61437.html

Contact info for DrLava

dont let this stop you from buying a incredible open source program which has incredible power.

when buying lsx i got replies to questions within a day just email him ...

i was planning on buying pango but buy talking to people on pl that owned or had used both programs they told me lsx was the best choice and i completely love it

i was planning on buying pango but buy talking to people on pl that owned or had used both programs they told me lsx was the best choice and i completely love it

Yeah that's one of the major problems with Photonlexicon. Any time someone tells you to go with a completely new product from a questionable seller (proven so by many complaints from many, many people) over a proven industry standard that is used daily by the biggest names in professional laser shows (Lightwave, Disney, more road tours than I can count.. they even powered the famous "The Who" laser show at the Super Bowl halftime show a couple years back) you really have to question their motives.

This reeks of the classic PL game of "promote our friends over and above good common sense". It's an old boys club over there and always has been, and this is even further evidenced by the fact that drlava only responds to certain people, other people get nothing for their hard earned money but silence. I've already posted 3 references and I can find more but they are not in English. This problem spans the globe.

If only drlava had done me right, I would have a lot less to say about him. But he didn't instead he left me hanging for months without a single word, forcing me to cancel the whole order. And since then we have been receiving regular complaints form many other people who have had similar experiences. At this juncture I'd say that doing business with drlava is a gamble at best. You might have an experience like bennett326 here, or you might have one like myself and the people in the threads I linked to. With Pangolin you know what you'll get because it's been proven time and time again..

Sellers like drlava hurt the community because they make buying and selling with them a risk, which in turn can make it look like doing business with members here at all is a risk to new people or people who don't know the whole story. Not to mention, I feel that anyone who wants to conduct business with the laser community should be held to the highest standards.

Certainly not wanting to start a tit for tat argument here. It's well known that I will always pop up to post about drlava's history of questionable customer service just as bennett326 and others will post about their own experiences. All I can do is say to all: Caveat Emptor

Last edited:
wasnt denying your points i was trying to tell the op not to disregard LSX as a option because of other people experience with the seller. if they were threads about problems with the software that would be another issue. and i dont want to get in to a PL debate because we both know how that will go :whistle:.

all i can tell the op is LSX has exceeded my expectations and completely blown me away with what i can do. even when i only have the basic version.

it also gives you allot of DAC options ..:beer:

Yeah that's one of the major problems with Photonlexicon. Any time someone tells you to go with a completely new product from a questionable seller (proven so by many complaints from many, many people) over a proven industry standard that is used daily by the biggest names in professional laser shows (Lightwave, Disney, more road tours than I can count.. they even powered the famous "The Who" laser show at the Super Bowl halftime show a couple years back) you really have to question their motives.

This reeks of the classic PL game of "promote our friends over and above good common sense". It's an old boys club over there and always has been, and this is even further evidenced by the fact that drlava only responds to certain people, other people get nothing for their hard earned money but silence. I've already posted 3 references and I can find more but they are not in English. This problem spans the globe.

If only drlava had done me right, I would have a lot less to say about him. But he didn't instead he left me hanging for months without a single word, forcing me to cancel the whole order. And since then we have been receiving regular complaints form many other people who have had similar experiences. At this juncture I'd say that doing business with drlava is a gamble at best. You might have an experience like bennett326 here, or you might have one like myself the people in the threads I linked to. With Pangolin you know what you'll get because it's been proven time and time again..

Sellers like drlava hurt the community because they make buying and selling with them a risk, which in turn can make it look like doing business with members here at all is a risk to new people or people who don't know the whole story. Not to mention, I feel that anyone who wants to conduct business with the laser community should be held to the highest standards.

Certainly not wanting to start a tit for tat argument here. It's well known that I will always pop up to post about drlava's history of questionable customer service just as bennett326 and others will post about their own experiences. All I can do is say to all: Caveat Emptor

LSRFAQ

I'm a LSX owner. I own a older Pangolin system. I have not updated to Beyond. There are only a few graphics shows included with LSX, mainly because of its German origions. This is improving as power users like PJ start to use LSX.

They are really into complex beam shows over in Europe. Your looking at 90% beam shows included, and they are spectacular, most running 4-5-6 minutes long. I could rack up about two days of beam shows with what I have. They are all listed at the LSX forum.

The LSX music content is huge, it takes up most of a DVD to contain the music as MP3.

Pangolin other then FB3 comes with a mix of graphics and beam shows, and there are so many available that you need access to a download site.
Again, it trends toward beamshows, because they are so much easier to produce.

You will have to ask Pango what comes on the disk,and what level of access you get to the download site. when I started, Intro came with just 16 shows. Basic came with 32 and so on...

FB3-Quickshow comes with a different set of stock art, then the other Pango series.
With Beyond, FB3 is supposed to eventually get access to the full series, but only Pango knows what the timeline is on this.
They have to "convert" a lot of the old stuff, and they are picky on how they will do that.

Honestly, people who make shows for profit buy Pangolin for the huge amount of clipart.
They buy LSX for the diverse effects that it is capable of, and its lack of color/feature limitations based on which level you buy. Basic LSX simply has less tracks available and far less included content then higher level LSX. However 95% of the software features are otherwise there.

Its compaing apples and oranges, and is highly subjective. Pango has had decades to build content. Thats a given.

If I'm programing shows, I'm reaching for LSX for most timeline and effects things.
Its limitless in what I can do.

I will reach for LD's graphics editor for many other things.

Both have IMMENSE learning curves.

For beam shows, its a toss-up, both have HUGE amounts of stock beams. LSX trends to European music, Pangolin has more of a mix.

One thing to ask, is how many of the shows are editable and not locked, on both systems.

And yes, I am one of DrLava's friends, he lived 45 minutes down the road from me, until this year.
But I paid the same amount for the hardware and software as every one else. He really keeps that part fair.
Because I could access him, it did not mean I got faster fixes, if anything, he would ask me to wait till other customers were done first. It really is his busy schedule and the fact that he does not have 10 paid staff.

Open souce hardware on LSX is nice, I have a open source arduino based DAC, A Ether-Dream, and a Riya. I could use also a sound card, but that is so backwards and outdated (very buggy on 7)its not even funny. So the second I completed building the open source dac, I had two scan heads without paying for another system. 120$ more and I had two heads. Theoretically I have three now, but have not tried it.

Steve

Last edited:
An excellent and unbiased description.

It really is his busy schedule and the fact that he does not have 10 paid staff.

This is something I keep hearing. For me it doesn't stick because were that simply the case, he would have no difficulty coming here to say that since that simple act takes no significant amount of time at all. Nor would it take any time to apologize to the people who have had crap service when trying to deal with him.

As it is today, it really seems that he could give a crap about a good portion of the laser community. Myself and everyone else who has posted their lousy experiences are usually just looking for a simple "sorry, we'll get your order off to you right away". The fact that he can't even be bothered to offer any response at all unless you are a friend of his or in the right place at the right time is both disrespectful and rude to everyone else. As long as that's the case I'll happily provide the consequences of that action (or lack thereof).

LSRFAQ

An excellent and unbiased description.

This is something I keep hearing. For me it doesn't stick because were that simply the case, he would have no difficulty coming here to say that since that simple act takes no significant amount of time at all. Nor would it take any time to apologize to the people who have had crap service when trying to deal with him.

END QUOTE

Its not crap, his schedule is like mine, and we both do academic days. Mine right now is 10 AM to 10 PM, plus a 45 minute commute each day. We're in on Saturdays too. Mine will drop to about 45 hours + commute once the experiment is stable, but right now, until it works, its as long as it takes.

His is not quite that bad, now that he graduated, but its close.

Thats what happens when your a contract research associate like me, or a tech development PhD like him. Hours are LONG, a 40 hour week is just a dream...

You want high technology made, you have to work at it. I've got 9 other people like me here right now with me, they all live within a mile of the lab for a reason. I'm not so lucky, but they work til midnight. Its salaried, so not great pay.

I post while the lab lasers are stabilizing after changes or while I'm waiting for parts.

Any one here on this forum who works in a graduate science lab can verify the hours.

My boss does 5 Am to 4 Pm, comes in for a half day on Sunday, just to get prepped.

Steve

Last edited:
And yet.. you still find time to help people and post information in the online laser hobbyist community. That's my point.. if you can, he can.

It should not be expected that people will reinvent their expectations of a seller or business just because the business has some "special circumstances". Business and customer service are well-established in terms of what is considered OK and what isn't.

Last edited:
yes LSX is awesome has tons of shows that come with the software and tons of frames

there is also the incredible abstract generator

moral of this post BUY LSX i love it

tons and tons???

being fairly new I find it hard to believe that you get more free shows, cues and frames than the 'megatons'(J/K) I got with QS.. BUT I will admit I am biased because aside from 5paghetti I have never experienced any other SW for lasershows--

HOW did you like QS?? ah -

-never really tried it UH?:whistle:

EF has it right-- he is a pro laserist with many years under his belt and makes good points about both.. New stuff is constantly being added to the freebie show list at Pango from the many many hundreds of users.

The on-line tutorials are extensive, easy to follow and the Pango forum and chat will get you more help than you need and PDQ. Pango sponsors most LEMs, Ilda meetings and more- sending reps to do live demos-pass out cool shirts and at SELEM all attending who owned even just The entry level QS got 'Beyond' for free!!!

Wish I could afford both... but I am about as inept as they come and QS was SO easy to use right from the box-----DMX compatible( with Pro Enntec)-- midi keyboard-- and one hand free-styling are all a snap. you can assign 60 cues to your keybpoard keys (upper & lower case)and 'play' it from your PC. NO dongles either.

anyone wanting QS at the best USA dealer price only needs to PM me for details.

I have met Andrew several times- he is a good guy- a fellow Buckeye(Ohio) and I cannot say anything bad about him--but Pango is a huge outfit and has a staff that can quickly and completely attend to any needs.

I wish Andrew all the best.. But I now understand why the Pango guys are so intense about that SW.

hak:D

Well what i like about LSX is the fact that i can find bugs and flaws or features i want and need and actually see them get made into the software.(SO COOL!)
I try to do as much as i can to help and i have been busy lately but there are a good amount of us who use it.
It has alot of power, i was doing a show with a company that only used pangolin and once they saw LSX they were amazed and questioned why they spent so much money on other software and hardware.
LSX does need more community support along with tutorials, but every day more is coming out for it.
I can say some members do have a thing against Dr.Lava(creator of LSX) BUT it has never been for quality or ability to preform on products.
Its only with sometimes slow shipping or it takes a few days to get response back from emails.
But there are several things against pangolin but i dont think this should turn into Laser show software wars.

It also comes alot down to money.
LSX plus needed bits is alot less money vs pangolin.
Pangolin has faster support but also limits your options to only use certain products, that cost and arm and a leg.

Last edited: