Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

In a dilemma

589nm or 473nm

• 30mw 589nm Dragon Lasers

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 50mw 473nm Jetlasers

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Radim

Voted for DL as I have one and the beam specs seem better than JL in version mini. However I'm going for 473 nm but in Pro version.

Last edited:
Honestly the NUBM07E puts out 471nm at 5W for only $120, the only trade-off is a much shorter duty cycle, BUT it is an astounding 5 Watts! That is 100 times stronger than the jetlasers 473nm just for that two extra nm red-shift. I've also seen the 589nm 30mW DL "mode-hop" and not put out a consistent beam spot. So I would definitely go with a 5W 471nm NUBM07E with a G7. Here's how I look at it

For the blue (NUBM70E vs jetlasers473):
5000mW vs 50mW
471nm vs 473nm
~$300 (diode, driver, host, G7 assembly) vs $299(plug n' play)

For the 30mW 589nm:
very fragile
$350
possible "mode-hopping"

NOTE
I have not personally used any of these but just giving you the knowledge of what I have been reading on here. My next laser will be the NUBM07E though, it is the only high power >470nm blue laser on the market for an affordable $120. You might want to ask someone who has BOTH of the NUBM07E and the jetlasers 473 for comparison; however, I think there will be minimal if not negligible difference. Also the "mode-hopping" may be just some units and not all units.

My vote is cast for the NUBM07E ran at 5W so it puts out 471nm, and then the 589DL

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I voted for 589 as well. I love both 473 and 589, but 589 will remain beautiful even if we do get <589 pointers in the future. Where 473 i've always wanted it to be even closer to 490. :p

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
As much as I like J/L products and the 473nm wavelength, on this one I'd have to say go with the DL 589nm! :)
Besides, these days it's getting pretty hard to even find a 589nm handheld to purchase, so I'd get one while you can.
I think I'd go for the 50mW if you can, I don't think you'll regret it; you can't have too much yellow!

Last edited:

Radim

Why the hell 589 nm is on decrease? Such an amazing wavelength with no diode alternative yet (I do not consider composed beams of green and red as true yellow laser). :thinking: But you are right guys, it is hard to find some company producing it. There are tons of violets, blues, greens and reds, but not yellows... Seems to me that more power = better. Yes, but in certain level you just switch to see the other criteria of laser selection, where power is not primary one.

Why the hell 589 nm is on decrease? Such an amazing wavelength with no diode alternative yet (I do not consider composed beams of green and red as true yellow laser). :thinking: But you are right guys, it is hard to find some company producing it. There are tons of violets, blues, greens and reds, but not yellows... Seems to me that more power = better. Yes, but in certain level you just switch to see the other criteria of laser selection, where power is not primary one.

I agree man :( I wish for nothing more than for a company like osram or Nichia to announce that they have successfully created a 590nm diode :D

GSS

DL 589 for a golden color that can't be really matched by playing with other diode's.
Those combiners just aren't the same. Plus gold is so regal in color and would complete a nice collection of WL's.:)
I realize a 473 is nice aquaish and you are talking stricky about a DPSS but with all the blue's you might find a freak diode or 07E although its in the class 4 catagory.
Either way you have a winner..

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The true yellow sweet spot varies from 578-582nm depending on the individual. By saying 580nm, it sits right in the middle. 585nm will still have a slight hint of orange in it. :)
GSS, agreed 589 is way better than any rg combinations. Lovely golden (sodium) yellow. :)
If it can be worked out how to get GaAsP to lase then we could see 585-595nm laser diodes in the future.

Last edited:

Radim

Yes, Oliver, you are absolutely right. I was just proposing that as a "joke" - to meet you both somewhere in the middle.

However I like the orange tint of 589 nm - you can notice it at the beam edges on photos mostly, so they are not boring beams. But sometimes it is hard to balance colors when processing photos from RAW, not to get it orange as I want them to look as much close to human eye perception as possible.

Also if it is quite a "schizophrenic" Spartan from recent batch you might get even 583.3 nm under certain conditions. :) In addition it is about the same wavelength used for reference of adaptive optics adjustments in large telescopes (because this wavelength just creates a nice star in mesosphere), so here my other personal sympathies work for 589 nm more.

More reading here for example:
https://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/optics/lgsao/lgsbasics.html
and here:
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2010/06/adaptive-optics-high-power.html

BTW: I want this 50 W FASOR sooooooooooooooo badly. :drool: The beam specs and power are from different universe (check how narow its line is - SLM and at this power, it will have soo long temporal coherence - do you want yellow hologram of you???). I'll probably set my profile on gofundme.com as well and after acquiring this personal star I'll invite all funders to have a full night star watching - popcorn and cola included. :D

But if there is 580 nm diode laser - I would go for that, just because I miss this color in my spectrum. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep 589 is the resonant frequency of sodium, which is why it is called a sodium wavelength. Guide stars work by exciting the sodium in our atmosphere. Not only have we got 589 guide stars, but they have also been used to laser cool sodium for the same reason.

lol, go fund me is going to get popular on here. :D

I think we all miss 580 in our spectrum. :p