Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm Almost Ready For 20W!!!

Just a teaser...

8mpsxSL.png

In this case, a 20W LPM sensor...No sense in investing in CO2 if I can't measure it!
:crackup:

The "fins" are the heatsink from an AMD Avalon processor package I picked up for $3. I cut it down w/ a hacksaw and drilled it out to screw-mount the side pieces and will use ceramic thermal adhesive to stick the top piece down. It will then be mounted to the project box/PS for the unit to go with my DMM.

This is more than enough heatsinking that I can measure up to 20W lasers...if I work out a better PS system for it...something wall-plugged.

sinner

Woaah! That's a monster 20C Ophir now, I would point all my 445nm's just for shits n giggles!

Btw where are you going with this? 5 diode kit ? :eg:

Neat!

I'm still waiting on mariomaster to finish converting my analog 20W coherent meter to digital. Just be careful you don't scorch the coating off! :beer:

SBA i know they are heat sink fins, i said wings because it reminds me of some flying eye from some sci-fi movie......not my day cuz i cant think of what one either

ARG

Going to have to use 4x 9V batteries to get 20W out of that! :p

Edit: I apologise for the late night miscalculation :tired:
Two 9V batteries in a 2S2P configuration would only give about 14-18V which is not enough for 20W.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. I am ultimately planning on using an 18VDC laptop PSU to power this setup. I just have to figure out the circuit. It will be complete with a high-current DPST switch and banana jacks to plug into a DMM and a USB connector for a future ARG board with data logging in it. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this bulletproof DIY setup.

I still have another Ophir that I can build another heatsink for and package together for anyone who wants it!!