Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If you had unlimited money, and time, what would you build?

Rivem

Hi Alan,
Maybe you could ask Riverm if he needs a model to manufacture the host you designed

I'd consider it if I got 1% of the unlimited funds. I'd even buy the necessary 5 axis mill I'd need to make it anatomically correct and out of titanium. :crackup:

If I had unlimited funds for laser research. I would try to find a way to use lasers in a propulsion unit to drive space craft. Ultimately i would like us to try to get towards .99 c of light. It would only take 18 years to get to the nearest star. I also would like to build a laser system that would ultimately make every nuclear device inoperable. I would also have to build the biggest dam laser cannon and put it on the moon! Why you ask to take over the world!
Z1UeM2d.jpg

Ultimately i would like us to try to get towards .99 c of light. It would only take 18 years to get to the nearest star.

Actually it would only take us around 5 years to get to Alpha Centauri(our nearest star apart from the sun). Traveling at light speed would take you around ~4.5 years, so even going HALF the speed of light it would still only take you about 9 years to get there :yh:

-Alex

Last edited:

Rivem

Actually it would only take us around 5 years to get to Alpha Centauri(our nearest star apart from the sun). Traveling at light speed would take you around ~4.5 years, so even going HALF the speed of light it would still only take you about 9 years to get there :yh:

-Alex

I think vortish might have included the acceleration times. Flipping the on switch and going right up to a velocity that high wold take a massive force and cause some serious destruction.

I think vortish might have included the acceleration times. Flipping the on switch and going right up to a velocity that high wold take a massive force and cause some serious destruction.

True. Would the human body even be able to support that? IIRC we can only support around 11G's before passing out :p

-Alex

Oh man. I know this isn't as far out and ambitious as some of everyone else's ideas, but what I would really want is a collection of high-powered handheld lasers in life-size perfectly movie accurate replicas of all the star wars light sabers. (the wavelengths would match the colors of the light sabers as well :))

Oh man. I know this isn't as far out and ambitious as some of everyone else's ideas, but what I would really want is a collection of high-powered handheld lasers in life-size perfectly movie accurate replicas of all the star wars light sabers. (the wavelengths would match the colors of the light sabers as well :))

Oh man that would be sick! I just wish there was a way to stop light at a certain point instead of it going on forever :p

Or create some sort of hardlight :rolleyes:

Rivem

True. Would the human body even be able to support that? IIRC we can only support around 11G's before passing out :p

-Alex

To go from 0 to .25c in a minute is 127,421G, so you'd be a pancake. To go to .25c at 11G would take a little over 8 (highly unpleasant) days.

most acceleration to get up to .99c would take 14 days at .9c acceleration you have to be aware of that. if you could put some one in acceleration couch or liquid suspension you could get that c up to .25c of light. and cut that time down. That being said you also need to be able to decelerate that vessel and that would take the same amount of time as the acceleration to .99 c of light. there is currently only one way to get even close to half of one c and that is by Ion engine. The issue with that is that it takes a month to get to .501 c that means you would not leave the solar system for two weeks at best and a month at the worst case. Now why are they not using Ion engines to go to mars. Simple they are huge! I think the current generation is the size of a 787 or bigger. that means that they can not be made on the surface but need to be made in space and that capability is not available at current.

Rivem

most acceleration to get up to .99c would take 14 days at .9c acceleration you have to be aware of that. if you could put some one in acceleration couch or liquid suspension you could get that c up to .25c of light. and cut that time down. That being said you also need to be able to decelerate that vessel and that would take the same amount of time as the acceleration to .99 c of light. there is currently only one way to get even close to half of one c and that is by Ion engine. The issue with that is that it takes a month to get to .501 c that means you would not leave the solar system for two weeks at best and a month at the worst case. Now why are they not using Ion engines to go to mars. Simple they are huge! I think the current generation is the size of a 787 or bigger. that means that they can not be made on the surface but need to be made in space and that capability is not available at current.

Come join us over here before we take the thread too far off vortish: http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/interstellar-space-travel-97523.html

HI,
A lot more Sinner and Ehgumus hosts and if MR. Crouse and his son was still building i would buy them to. These guys are Epic to the word meaning..
Miss them dearly folks. you don't know what you have till it's gone. So many WL's and no really cool host to exercise the view of the WL..
it's like planting a beautiful flower in a awesome pot to enhance it ..

Rich:)

Oh man that would be sick! I just wish there was a way to stop light at a certain point instead of it going on forever :p

Or create some sort of hardlight :rolleyes:

Exactly! And also a way for the light to slowly move out from the handle :D