Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If you had unlimited money, and time, what would you build?

Well, if I had unlimited time AND unlimited money I would build a 3W+ 589 and call it the PocketStar

Here's what you're looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY5RYb14mIE
THIS, with some real 7W lasers instead of crappy WL Arctics.

Exactly! Although I would definitely put some of those 7W+ 450s in there ;) along with stabilizing the barrels so there would be no wobbling while they spin. And an extra handle on top so it is a bit more ergonomic to hold.

Well, if I had unlimited time AND unlimited money I would build a 3W+ 589 and call it the PocketStar

I would love to just own a 50mW 589, let alone a 3 Watter!:D

589 is an awesome color! Sucks DL pushed their Spartan 50mW by over $100 :(

-Alex

If I had the money I would be buying tons of different lasers :D A 589 would be first on my list. Later in the fall once I start making some good money maybe I'll start then.

I would either figure out a way to build high-wattage 589s or Just combine as many of them as possible to get to a couple watts, the trick would be doing it efficiently enough to still be portable.....no way you could do that with DPSS

I have many plans if i get more money and time. But Currently i am stuck with my essay writing. I wish i need some money to buy essays from the academic writing services. If so i can save my time for my studies also. But now i ma helpless. My parent did not allow me to choose the online services for any academic works. I don't have any idea about the completion of my essays. Hope i can find a cheap essay writing service for buy essays.

I would probably build a 606nm Pr:YLF handheld laser, pump it with multiple NUBM44s or better, and see what type of output i could get (hopefully atleast a watt of orange light).

Reactions: GSS
If I had unlimited money and time, I would build buy everything I could, commission others to build laser technology that hasn't been invented yet and use all my time experimenting with all my toys (world domination might also be a small side project too).
Of course I don't think buying stuff is included in the question, but you did include unlimited money soooo... :D

Impracticality aside, after I located a proper machining lab that I could use and sources for components I would build, in approximated order (not considering personal lack of necessary skills):

-A actively cooled handheld host with continuous power output variability and use two diodes PBS's together and corrected. And then I would do the same for all of our "new" powerful diodes.
-Do the same as above, minus the active cooling, with every single mode diode.
-Build a projector that has nearly every possible diode or DPSS wavelength from 400nm-1064nm at >50mW. So (405nm, 445nm, 462nm, 473nm, 488nm, 505nm, 520nm, 532nm, 561nm, 589nm, 593nm, 607nm, 638nm, 660nm, 780nm, 808nm, 1064nm)
-A top-notch TEA N2 laser and use it to experiment with pumping dyes.
-A ruby laser.
-Modify a Spectra-Physics 125 to run the fabled 609nm line that Bloompyle, Steve and Sam studied. (new gas fill + optics = $$$$)
-A HeSe laser.
-A Pr:YLF laser
-Get a few laserscopes and convert them to other wavelengths like 589nm etc. (Not sure how possible this one is?)
-A bunch of more uncommon lasers like HeHg, Hg:N2, or various metal vapor ones.
-Experiment with any and all other cool types of build-able lasers. O2, Xe, CuCl, CuBr etc. (and pretty much all of the lasers that are mentioned in Sam's Laser FAQ:D)

All of this and maybe more.

One can dream at least:san:

EDIT: I forgot one thing. I should add Free Electron Laser to the list.

Last edited:
A projector that puts out 100W of white. I'd like to have 405, 445, 473, 488, 514, 532, 589, something that is actually orange, 635, 660 and maybe 685 in it. With all that, it should produce just about any color visible to the human eye. It would also be able to scan rasters without flickering at a full 60 degrees off center.

For pointers, I'd like to have a 1W TEM00 510nm and a 1W TEM00 610nm. Both with 1mrad.

Last edited:
A projector that puts out 100W of white. I'd like to have 405, 445, 473, 488, 514, 532, 589, something that is actually orange, 635, 660 and maybe 685 in it. With all that, it should produce just about any color visible to the human eye. It would also be able to scan rasters without flickering at a full 60 degrees off center.

Mounted to the roof of a good all terrain vehicle (of yacht), with a platform which will allow it to rise to 6 meters overhead, rotate, and with four five such projectors. One to each side and one pointed up, to make extra use of any kind of roof.

Actually given an unlimited budget I think I'd just buy a warehouse and start working on a mega club. And hire lots of promo dancers. :p

I gave one answer already. But I have another one. I would want to see the first laser mounted on a tank. Specifically to take out incoming missiles and shells. Other than that I would want the first 1k watt 445 or 473 to piss off the neighbors

I would open a lab and research laser diodes so I could mske a diode the size of a frying pan with an emitter the size of a snickers bar