Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I am disappointed!!!

I created this contest http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/contest-win-lpc-826-a-62682.html a few days ago.
It amazes me that not many people are interested in it. When did LPF stop becoming a diy/hobby forum? It is completely free to enter. i am even paying the shipping to the winner. There has been a lot of talk of the lack of comradery here and a division of noobs vs vets. This contest IS the perfect way to get back to the hobby side of things.

I'm not mad because my idea is rejected. Anybody could have created that contest and i would still be here typing this. :mad:

reluctantly,

Michael

daguin

When did LPF stop becoming a diy/hobby forum?

The world is constantly in flux.

This forum is no different

Ask any dinosaur you happen to meet

They will tell you

"Adapt or die!"

Peace,
dave

P.S. Don't take this stuff personally <Deja Vu>

rhd

Did it not occur to you that sometimes it takes more than just a few days to get ideas, parts, and plans together for a new build ? ;)

Howdy Michael Yes as Dave said don't take it personal there are lot's of reasons people have not entered yet and I'll give you some of them.
first some people that would like to enter can't because they don't have the funds to make something right at this moment, and others may
be working on an entry and just not have it finished yet.
Then maby there are more like me who could buy a sled so stayed out so others would have a chance to win I don't know for sure about that one.

Heck if it will make you feel better I'll go enter right now but it will be a bit one sided if I put my last build in as an entry.

As far as the lack of comradery I think it's alive and well as far as I'm concerned, I pm with many people every day and talk on the phone a
couple times a week and we exchange ideas and frendly words and have a great time :yh:
PM me I'll give you my number we'll talk :beer:

As far as division of noobs and vets I just don't see that either as I realy don't go along with the idea of people being noobs I like to treat
everone the same and it seems to me if you came here looking to learn about lasers then you are a cool cat and shouldn't have some sign
hung around you neck making you feel any less than you are :)

People come and and go and things are constantly changing so give it a chance as this hobbie is alive and well, we just don't like YOU :na: JK

O yes then there is the lack of drivers at the moment rember...

Peace All...

Last edited:
I would enter but I do not have the funds, machinery, DRIVERS to complete a build at this time. Anything that I could piece together currently would not have the level of fit and finish that this forum currently sees on a regular basis. Though I am progressing towards my first builds, they will be pretty pedestrian.

I do very much appreciate what you are trying to do though. :can:

Have some rep!

blrock

I missed this post....sorry. I would have thrown something together....just for the fun of it :)

the contest isn't about money. it is about originality. i remember when i first joined a member put a phr in a mustard bottle, and it turned on when you squeezed it.

maybe i'm just being to nostalgic

michael.

AH yes! The Mustard Build. A memorable one for sure.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/mustard-build-20150.html

I've noticed a huge amount of build kits, drivers, and laser hosts come through in the last year. This IMO is a good thing.

But, when most of these items are simply always up for sale, you have less people putting their lasers in condiment containers.

For instance, I haven't seen an LM317 based build in a longggg time.

Sometimes it helps to take a few steps back. I don't mind going back to basics. After all, its how I got here. That's different then someone coming here a few times to buy their kit and then be done experimenting after they have the best diode in the best host ran by the latest driver.

anselm

Thanks guys, this kind of epicness is just what I needed for my Index thread!
2345-dragonfire-001.jpg

Lava is shut down for the foreseeable future.
People in that thread are saying (basically) "if you need a prebuilt driver, you don't belong in this creativity contest!"
WTF over...
I have made a few DDL drivers but other than that it has always been lava's drivers.
One person said that there are a lot of different types of drivers you can build yourself, yeah, if you have a degree in electrical engineering.
If these drivers are so damn easy to build then why isn't someone building them and selling them. Right now you could corner the market and sell hundreds if the size was decent and the efficiency was pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, kudos for the thread idea but I have spent $15 bucks pretty easily just building a DDL driver (usually have to order more than one of everything) and they are horribly inefficient if you can't get your input voltage close enough to your output.
A laser diode isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg for a lower powered diode but it still costs and shipping for some people will eat up most (if not all) of your timeline.
If anything, the noob/veteran division will happen even more with your "demands"
No newer member has a bunch of diodes, drivers, modules, heatsinks ("If you need a premade heatsink, you shouldn't be here"), lenses, and the machining equipment to pull off a technical build in the required time.
I have most of the gear and equipment but I'm run off my feet by other (read more pressing) projects.
I get wanting to keep things moving along but making a "unique" laser competition and then calling down the whole laser community for not jumping all over it within 3 days is kinda "unique".