Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to Make Fog Without a Fog Machine For better beam viewing. "Cheap & Easy for All"

Zeebit

Re: How to Make Fog Without a Fog Machine For better beam viewing. "Cheap & Easy for

Just make sure you don't burn the glycerin. That stuff is pretty bad when it burns. I once forgot to turn off the flame and the fog was really nasty.

DJNY

Re: How to Make Fog Without a Fog Machine For better beam viewing. "Cheap & Easy for

Got the Glycerin stuff for $1 from local drugstore today. Works great :D

100mW 405nm with butterfly effect

5mW LG Libra 635nm

800mW 405nm shining onto light switch (which produced blue reflection)

250mW 532nm

320mW 660nm

Last edited:

I too use e-cigs, have for two years. All e-juice (the liquid that is vaporized) use two bases, VG (or vegetable glycerin) or PG (propylene glycol). One, or both of these are combined with nicotine and flavoring, but the juice is almost all PG or VG. I smoked for fifteen years, and switch to e-cigs two years ago. Over the last two years, my taste and smell improved, as well as my general health. Two years and no adverse affects. Both PG and VG are found in many commonly used foods, loitions, lip balm, ect.. (anyone try Mio? Look at the ingredients ;)). Both of these are also common fog machine base, i had a bottle of fog fluid that listed PG as main ingredient. And as the OP said, the heating coils get very hot. The wicking material must be heat resistant, but the juice can burn, and the taste makes it obvious. The point is, two years experience/learning has me convinced there is no danger, as some were concerned with.

I've personally used e-juice that was pure PG, and some that are a mix of PG/VB. From this, and reading around in the e-cig community, the "fog" these create have variations. PG tends to create a thinner, less dense vapour that is harsher on your throat and dries out your mouth easy. VG creates a much thicker, denser cloud that hangs around longer. It's also easier on the throat.

I thought of something similar to this, but never tried it. I just take a pull off my e-cig and blow it into the beam :)
IMO, thinning the VG with PG instead of water might work better. You can also buy the same flavorings used in e-juice and add them to get a certain sent. Theres alot of DYI e-cig sites that sell high grade, usp PG, VG, and flavorings.

Have fun!

Aphool

Living in the southeast I'll just use what's always available except during the most intense winter blizzards in Nashville, pollen and humidity :) To that end, I had no trouble viewing the 150mW beam inside our data center server room with full lighting. Thank you Hakzaw1, I'll be contacting you soon for some more JetLasers.

Thanks for the tip.

I took the top off of a 16 oz beer can :beer:, dug the plastic piece out of it, cut a notch in it and placed an old soldering iron in it. Let it heat up and drop some glycerin on it. Instant fog. Add more glycerin as needed.

Just an update on this......my glycerin formula is now officially used by several commercial DJ's I know along with my own venue which runs three different fog machines. The glycerin / water mix at ~1/15 runs cleaner, smells less, and is far cheaper than commercial water based mixes which are made in china from glycols. For a water based smoke / fog machine use distilled water. Since I switched to this mix me fog machine mechanical issues have dropped to zero. Haze machines use a denser formula, but I don't use those because they don't provide the smoke density. glad to see all the ad-hoc solutions

If you want .
This can work too.
Why settle for lol fog when you can have some COLORS in your fog.
Try this formula for some green smoke that'll linger in the room for up to 5 hours!
Assuming you don't open the window.
But seriously you should .
•Synthetic indigo - 26%
•Auramine (yellow) - 15%
•Potassium chlorate - 35%
•Lactose - 26%

And vola!
Green smoke!
IMG_4713.JPG

Potassium chlorate isn't something you want inside your house... especially ignited.
Its a potent oxidizer...
Also, one can swap everything for sucrose+oxidizer, and have a nasty smoke curtain.
I doubt its non-toxic, though. I'd use sodium nitrate (edit: outdoors!) ;)

edit:
some hookah flavours can make colored smoke too... maybe if you add some organic dye to the glycerin+water misture, you can achieve colored, non-toxic smoke? :thinking:

Last edited:

Potassium chlorate isn't something you want inside your house... especially ignited.
Its a potent oxidizer...
Also, one can swap everything for sucrose+oxidizer, and have a nasty smoke curtain.
I doubt its non-toxic, though. I'd use sodium nitrate (edit: outdoors!) ;)

edit:
some hookah flavours can make colored smoke too... maybe if you add some organic dye to the glycerin+water misture, you can achieve colored, non-toxic smoke? :thinking:

well smoke is almost NEVER non-toxic to be honest.
Unless is glycerin but as an organic compound its quite polar and hygroscopic so you might find difficulty in using it as a carrier for some of your additives .
But hey!
Never hurts to give it a try eh?
Would love to hear your results

I've just did this yesterday and the results are great.

But I founded out that blowing the hot glycerin (with your mouth) makes fog faster.

I'll even make a diy fogger sometime...

This is a very good alternative to making fog at home. People can even use a spoon (beware as hot glycerin catches on fire) for fogging. 3 drops made a 4x4'm room fully fogged here.

Last edited:

There are many way to produce fog. I will explain one of them
Creating your own fog machine can add a nice effect to your party or event. Depending on how much fog you are looking to produce, you will need to adjust your measurements of ingredients. However, this is a relatively easy project to tackle and make your event stand out.
It’s contain some method please follow it.:thinking:
Tape black construction paper around one side of a 1-gallon glass jar. This will be the back of the jar. It should cover the back so that you cannot see through the jar. Fill a 1-gallon zip-top bag with ice.:thinking:
Add a couple drops of blue food coloring to 1 cup of warm water. Pour this in the jar. Mix with a spoon.:thinking:
The Advanced Spraying Equipments for the disinfecting and pest.:thinking:
Light the match and hold it over the opening of the jar for approximately 3 to 4 seconds. Hold it close to the opening, about 1/2 inch above the top of the jar.:thinking:
Drop the match into the jar. Immediately top the jar with the bag of ice. Fog should begin to form in the jar.:thinking:
After that fog will be create.:drool:

blowing the hot glycerin... makes fog faster.

This is quite an important detail. I've found that with static air vs. airflow, I can get 10-20x the volume of fog. Less time you have heat applied to glycerine, less likely it is to decompose.

Oh, also, by the way, you can easily find ecig juice with 0 nicotine. So now you can look cool, with much less health hazard!

Last edited:

Yes there are many way to produce fog without fog machine.
1 St methoud
Fill up the jar or bottle completely with very hot water and let it stay there for about 65 seconds.
Pour out all but about an inch or 2.5 cm of the hot water.
Put a strainer or bag over the top of the jar.
Place ice cubes in the bag or strainer water vapor from the bottom of the bottle contacts the cold air created by the ice cubes and begins condensation.
after some times fog will be generated.
2nd Methoud
Fill a suitable container 1/3 full with hot water.
Add a few drops of alcohol. Rubbing alcohol works well and is available to everybody, sometimes..
Put ice over the top of the bottle and watch the fog form.
Please recommended one method out of two.

Please people keep this forum safe! There are many kids reading this forum as well as newbies.

Please stop posting toxic formulas. Before you post your recommendations, please check the toxicity of each ingredient. The formula below has two toxic compounds:

Evidence for Carcinogenicity: The Human Health Assessment Group in EPA's Office of Health and Environmental Assessment has evaluated auramine for carcinogenicity. According to their analysis, the weight-of-evidence for auramine is group B2, which is based on inadequate evidence in humans and sufficient evidence in animals. As a group B2 chemical, auramine is considered probably carcinogenic to humans. ( AURAMINE - National Library of Medicine HSDB Database )

The Material Safety Data Sheet, MSDS, for potassium chlorate states that it is "toxic to blood, kidneys, lungs, the nervous system, liver and mucous membranes." Repeated or prolonged exposure can cause serious damage to the affected areas. Besides being a strong oxidizer...

Why take the risk breathing these compounds and their breakdown compounds? Why recommend if one is not properly informed?

With that said, glycerin is quite safe (Section 10 Toxicological Information in http://hobbes.us/USP.pdf ), we all use it in one way or another.
However, heating up Glycerin with an open flame will ignite like oil.

Keep the glycerin “formulas” safe. The 1:15 formula is safe, it just add water to the glycerin.

Be safe… :D

Last edited:

Zeebit

Change your font color. It's a PITA to to read esp. on a smartphone.

Last edited:

How's that? No more red... :thanks:

Change your font color. It's a PITA to to read esp. on a smartphone.

Last edited: