Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How To Get Along and Be Accepted at LPF

i hope i dont get kicked off this forum for saying this but some parties have snobs.
if a forum wants new members then a certain amount of patience is helpful.
im greatful for the wonderful library of info this forum has available .
the only problem is sometimes us newbs dont even know what question to ask.
ive been here for a month and i still get confused on some stuff.lotsa reading and alot of people dont have the patience.i can buy a gun faster than i can buy a laser .im sure thats not true but all the different things going on this site can get creepy to invest a large sum of money
with strangers.pig in a poke kinda deal.
im sure its not that way for you older members but how this newbie sees things.
thankyou for your patience.

daguin

i hope i dont get kicked off this forum for saying this but some parties have snobs.
ive been here for a month and i still get confused on some stuff.lotsa reading and alot of people dont have the patience.i can buy a gun faster than i can buy a laser .im sure thats not true but all the different things going on this site can get creepy to invest a large sum of money

Absolutely granted. All the more reason to come in slowly and respectfully.
Sometimes that "snob" is really a very helpful member after he sees that you are trying and not asking to be "given" stuff.
Sometimes that "snob" has just had a rough couple of days or isn't feeling well.
We are all only human

I have had significant conflicts with some of the members here
Mature people get over the butthurt and work out their differences

I've been here over five years and I still get confused about some concepts
There are SEVERAL potential Doctoral Dissertations floating around in the things we talk about and do here ;)

Also, this idea that we "want" new members or even "need" new members isn't really a valid focus.
New members are wonderful, but guess what, if a particular new member doesn't stay, someone else will be along in just a few minutes to take his place ;)
No one will "miss" the departed member after a very short while

Is that "cold"? Yes.
Is it the reality? Yes.

Remember, the people at the party didn't ask you to come to the party.
You chose to come, because you heard the music and laughter
They don't need you in order to keep partying themselves

You don't go into the party and ask the people there to adapt to you
You adapt to the party or you will never enjoy it

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

This is why it is so important for noobs to read ALL of the stickies before asking ridiculous questions, not that I am implying that you have at any time.

ARG

It may take you awhile, but if you keep reading you'll eventually make sense of it all.

People on LPF will help people who help themselves. You put in time to help yourself, then we will put in time to help you.

If you put in a few hours to read what you are curious about and then ask your questions you'll find that people will respond better and be more patient.

cold but true.i agree.
the party idea is brilliant.

you could call me a scout that after checking out the party.may bring alot more customers if yall are interested?

i browsed this forum for well over a month prior to making an account. the whole time all i did was READ READ READ READ oh and read some more. I came in thinking i knew a decent amount about lasers and yeah i did know some but i have learned so much more since Ive joined. Ive helped guide a member through building a laser. only advice to new members is don't post a single thing for your first month and do nothing but read read read and read! this will help you out tremendously in the long run. its hard to believe but it will and you will gain the respect of members since you are semi educated and wont sound like a complete fool. everyone has to start somewhere so best of luck with all the new members.

just be happy tech_junkie isnt around to ream you a new one :p

Last edited:

daguin

cold but true.i agree.
the party idea is brilliant.

you could call me a scout that after checking out the party.may bring alot more customers if yall are interested?

We'll still be here.
We'll probably give them the same "hard time" we give everyone;)
Of course they will have a pre-existing friend at the party in you

just be happy techie_junkie isnt around to ream you a new one :p

:crackup: I'm sure that you just broke his heart :crackup:

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
:crackup: I'm sure that you just broke his heart :crackup:

dont get me wrong, i absolutely love reading through TJ's old post again. they are absolutely hysterical. some of these new members would be absolutely butt hurt by his comments and some would flip lids back on him.

i love the "typical day at LPF" video he made......classic TJ!!!!

Bacon

all the different things going on this site can get creepy to invest a large sum of money

Well look at me; I joined in March because I decided that a laser crafted by a person that has a genuine interest and care for the hobby can produce at MUCH better quality work than a some guy slapping parts together in China. I contacted several members with a high reputation before even considering buying stuff. I don't know how long you have been interested in lasers, but I have seen this form for years and never made the effort to join till now (though it started with CPF like six years ago for me)

Yes the money is high for the hobby, but not as much as guns or cars ;)
I was scared to jump in, but it is worth it. Now I got a custom focus ring coming, a slick host, and some OEMs in a few weeks; soon to have a massive heatsink. It has only begun!
If the "internet stranger factor" scars you than take some time reading their posts, they are humans too. If worst comes to worst you can file a dispute (pshhhh), but their reputation should obviously reflect their respect. I love most of em' already!
----------------
i love the "typical day at LPF" video he made......classic TJ!!!!
"I need a yellow laser that can burn the A$$ hairs off a cat from a mile away. and cheap goggles.. I only have $20"

Last edited:
For those who havent seen TJ's video i put it below. think it fits well in this thread as comic support to what dave has said

"if you dont want to help me, just say so...."
ugh isnt that the truth

Last edited:
matter a fact i read a dispute thread today and was very impressed with the heat put on a member.
thats class.

i would expect the same if i did a nono.

matter a fact i read a dispute thread today and was very impressed with the heat put on a member.
thats class.

i would expect the same if i did a nono.

dispute threads, yes members here will bash the guilty party until they fix the problem. seen it done a few times.

"I need a yellow laser that can burn the A$$ hairs off a cat from a mile away. and cheap goggles.. I only have $20"

freakin classic!!!! "i want a 100mW green diode" :wtf:

Gun

Awesome thread Dave! I'll link it in my siggy now :cool:

IsaacT

dispute threads, yes members here will bash the guilty party until they fix the problem. seen it done a few times.

freakin classic!!!! "i want a 100mW green diode" :wtf:

Hmm....100mW Green Diode huh? I have one sitting on my desk actually....love how far this hobby has come now :D