Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much are you in Debt?

How much are you in debt?

• $0-1,000

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • $1,000-2,500

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • $2,500-5,000

• $5,000-10,000

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • $10,000-20,000

• $20,000-40,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $40,000-80,000

• $80,000-160,000

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • $160,000++++

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • I AM NOT IN DEBT

Votes: 37 48.1%

• Total voters
My entire company uses Dell for everything. Since I work on them frequently, I can say that Dells are extremely reliable for their price range. Out of several thousand machines, we get maybe one failure a month... and those almost always end up being power supply issues. Personally I would own a Dell in a heartbeat if I didn't always build my own desktops for home use. All but one of our servers have over a year of uptime, so they also are very reliable. Since Dell is such a good choice for business infrastructure, they are also a good choice for home use for people who need average functionality from their desktop and decent customer support..

This is just my opinion, but I base it on my personal experience with literally thousands of Dell machines. They make my job easier.

I based mine off of personal experience as well. I have seen the components that they put in Dells and the brands that they use really aren't that good. They may have changed over the years though.

Let me clarify what I am trying to say about dell. Dell is very good for businesses, but I would never buy them for my own personal pc. Their prices are high for what they give you and they do put some of the cheapest components in their systems, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will break down right away. In a way, it's like comparing Chinese lasers to American/Canadian lasers.

Sager for a laptop will by far, out perform a Dell and will last a ton longer as well. I know that in the end it all comes down to personal preference and if I absolutely had to buy a PC from a store like Best Buy, I would buy a Dell, but untill that day comes, I will either make my own pc or buy a Sager or Ibuypower.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/default.php
http://www.ibuypower.com

Last edited:
My entire company uses Dell for everything. Since I work on them frequently, I can say that Dells are extremely reliable for their price range. [...]

It really depends on what you pay for... Dell has several product ranges, from dirt cheap consumer stuff you can buy at walmart to super high end servers for tens of thousands of dollars. Their business class stuff is pretty good, though it's a couple hundred bucks more than their consumer stuff. Their dirt cheap walmart computers use second rate ECS, asrock and foxconn motherboards, whereas their business stuff uses good solid asus or intel boards. Some of their cheap stuff ends up being cheaper than you can build from parts, but you pay for that by having it break down after a year, having to talk to tech support in india for a few hours, then having to mail it off to have it fixed.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm now $200 in debt... My boss was redoing the network for a dental office and they had some bench psu's they were "trying to get rid of", I said I'd take them, but it turns out they wanted $200 for them. Not a bad deal, but I wasn't expecting to pay that.. Now I've got to pay my boss or otherwise find a way I can call them a business expense.

I am around 150$ in debt. nothing big. People doing chargebacks with paypal trying to keep there merchandise and there money back.

D

Deleted member 8382

I based mine off of personal experience as well. I have seen the components that they put in Dells and the brands that they use really aren't that good. They may have changed over the years though.

Let me clarify what I am trying to say about dell. Dell is very good for businesses, but I would never buy them for my own personal pc. Their prices are high for what they give you and they do put some of the cheapest components in their systems, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will break down right away. In a way, it's like comparing Chinese lasers to American/Canadian lasers.

Sager for a laptop will by far, out perform a Dell and will last a ton longer as well. I know that in the end it all comes down to personal preference and if I absolutely had to buy a PC from a store like Best Buy, I would buy a Dell, but untill that day comes, I will either make my own pc or buy a Sager or Ibuypower.

custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks
iBuyPower Custom Gaming Computers - Gaming PC & Gaming Notebooks
you are giving me links for gaming laptops, I really do not need the best graphics card, what I need is 4GB DD3 and a core duo 2.5ghz+, a 320gb 72000rpm HD and a good wifi card, 15.4" screen with antiglare and 9 cell battery.

The dell studio 15 with this costs 1500$, if anyone can beat or at least find me another solution to my needs I'll be happy to hear it :D

I bought a VERY NICE DELL lap-top from a Forum member for only $700.00. It's a DELL Model XPS M1530, & was less than 6 months old when I bought it. I spoke with a guy at a computer store/repair shop here in town, & gave him a list of all the "EXTRAS" that the original owner had installed in it, & the guy at the store told me that even 'used for 6 mos.' this lap-top was worth between $1400.00 & $1700.00. It works perfectly, & has a built-in wireless feature that coupled with the 'NETGEAR' router, gives me a 300 to 500 meter wireless range (depending on terrain, buildings, etc.) So for only $700.00 I think I got me a pretty darn good deal, doncha think ?..................rob

you are giving me links for gaming laptops, I really do not need the best graphics card, what I need is 4GB DD3 and a core duo 2.5ghz+, a 320gb 72000rpm HD and a good wifi card, 15.4" screen with antiglare and 9 cell battery.

The dell studio 15 with this costs 1500$, if anyone can beat or at least find me another solution to my needs I'll be happy to hear it :D

Woa now...Why do you need DDR3 in a laptop?

Their low end Laptops will suit you more than fine for a cheaper price than the Dell. Not all of their models have the supper good graphics card. Look around on their sites and then customise the laptops to your needs. That's what they do on those sites....make custom laptops. :)
Meets all of your requirements for less than $1,100 and it also has better graphics too.
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=177856&action=customize

Last edited:
Ah shit I didnt read all the options and I accidentally did $0-$1000

I currently have no debt.

D

Deleted member 8382

Woa now...Why do you need DDR3 in a laptop?

Their low end Laptops will suit you more than fine for a cheaper price than the Dell. Not all of their models have the supper good graphics card. Look around on their sites and then customise the laptops to your needs. That's what they do on those sites....make custom laptops. :)
Meets all of your requirements for less than $1,100 and it also has better graphics too.
custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks
Are them shipping to spain?

edit: yes, they are shipping here for 190$ which ruins any price difference I could get...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are them shipping to spain?

edit: yes, they are shipping here for 190$ which ruins any price difference I could get...

Yes and no....you still are getting a bigger bang for your buck. Better graphics and everything. Shoot, I think it even has an HDMI output on it!!

It's all up to you. You decide what you want to get. I am sure that a Dell will work just fine for you. We all have our own opinions.:)

Edit: If you have any questions or comments feel free to PM me. I think that we should get this thread back on topic though. We have strayed away from it for a little. Sorry. :)

Last edited:
I'm in debt about $20,000 AUD thanks to Uni. But fortunately they have a nice system where I only pay it back when I get a job and start earning some money, and the amount I have to pay doesn't increase over time like a loan. So not all bad :)

Today i have spent 47$ on food & drinks, and its only 9pm.
Now im off going 2 movie, another 10$ (i won't spend any $ on food&drink at that overpriced place).

rangedunits: That's not too out of line... Pretty average as far as I'm concerned. Today I've spent: $17.50 this morning on a coffee, two orange juices, and a pack of smokes. For lunch I had a bacon cheese burger with fries, gravy, and a coke, $13.25. After work I've drank 4 cans of beer, at a cost of roughly $2 each. I'm about to go out for dinner and can easily spend $20 there. If I bought breakfast that'd be almost $70 a day on consumables.
This is why, while I'm never in debt, my lifestyle makes it so I can never save anything. I suppose if I brought a bagged lunch, brewed my own coffee, quit smoking, and drank water instead of orange juice and coke, I'd probably get by on $10/day, but I can hardly call that living.

Not smoking will save you piles. I smoked for 13 years at a pack and a half a day for 7 of them. Two years ago I had acupuncture done on my ear and I haven't had a cigarette since. The money I've saved on cigarettes has been considerable, and it has really helped me remain active with my hobbies now that I am a parent.

post 1337

Either half the people here don't mind living paycheck to paycheck or I'm an incredibly cheap b@stard. My breakfast usually consists of a peanut butter sandwich and a diet coke. My other meal consists of either chili, canned soup or anything else that comes in a can. I generally only eat one moderately portioned meal per day to maintain my weight(also helps save money). My $180 buys a month's worth of diet coke, peanut butter and all my other canned crap(chili, soup, tuna) ;)

The money I save can be put towards better/more useful things such as lasers, alcohol, ammo, gas, rent, church, etc...

Last edited: