Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How long did it take before you started DIY's?

Hey guys, I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the Tutorial section or here, but anyways... I wanted to know how long it took you guys to start building DIY lasers since you got into the laser hobby. I really want to make my own lasers, but even with all these tutorials, I still have a hard time comprehending the extensive vocabulary and instructions. I have been into this hobby for about 2-3 months, and I am reading many guides to building my own lasers, trying to find out how. I think it just takes some time to get used to things, before you actually start taking it seriously? What about you guys?

daguin

To compare yourself to others is to set yourself up for delusion.

There will always be those who are better and those who are worse.

How you feel about yourself will depend on which ones you saw when you looked

Do what feels comfortable to you.

And understand that the most experienced among still feels that little thrill as we push the button for the first time

Will it light or not?

When it does we all do a little happy dance in our heads.

roSSco

daguin said:
When it does we all do a little happy dance in our heads.

fluffy.gif

I have been an electronics "hack" for years - I used to tear stuff apart to the point that my electrical engineer Father used to have issues putting them back together when I was a kid :p Just take things slow - and do not be afraid to ask questions as you go if you do not understand things. Start small - don't use a 6X blu-ray as your learning project - you may lose interest after the bills come in !

I have to say it was kipkay's video that got me interested in DIY lasers, but I did some research before burning out the diode on a maglite (not to mention a maglite looks pretty dumb). Found this site and the poked around especially in the group buy section. Damaged that diode beyond repair before I got anything to work, but oh well.

I do wish some of those really nice and useful threads were pinned to the top of the board, because they seem to disappear after some weeks.

it took me about 3 months before i started building lasers, but only one month after i really discovered the possibilities of DIY lasers, since the first two months were spent at LC

Technically near two years because I first got interested in lasers a couple of years ago, but that interest faded for a while. When I got interested again it took me a few months because I started DIY knowing nothing about electronics, I couldn't even read a simple schematic.

for me around 6 months ,I would have never even thought of a diy in fact i didn't even know what dyi meant phoenix77 told me on lc about dyi projects then i came over here started reading and begging dave for info .then Ace82 is the one who pushed over the edge ;)all ive done is one flahlight bluray and four blurays in modules but hey we have to start someware right ;D

I found this forum, did my homework, built my laser and then became a member. ;D
That was in January.

My laser interest has grown from that, before it wasn't very great. Now I love the hobby.

I can't do any DIYs :( Current Uni accommodation doesn't allow stuff like soldering irons.

But I've done a lot of hobby electronic work in the past. But I never really got into it. I reckon lasers is hobby electronic work I really CAN get into :) It's just a shame that it came 2 years too late :(

But I certainly plan too once I get in to more favorable living :)

If you mean as far as only direct injection lasers, I just made my first last night and I've been in the hobby for a little over two years.

I was attempting to build them before I even found this forum! The thing with lasers, and I believe most hobbies, is you will ALWAYS feel overwhelmed until you just jump right in and build one. Once you build one or two, it will be no where near as daunting. After a few more, you'll be building LM317 drivers in your sleep.

my reason for joining was to start building. Available funds make it very difficult as well. But there should be no reason to ever think you're not ready for it. Really you should just try. Thats how ive gotten all my DIY into pens (ive only been here a few weeks). You have to mess up alot, there is nothing on this forum that you could read that will save you from your own learning experience with building new fun toys. So go at it, and have fun, dont get frustrated.

Switch

The reason I got into lasers was the kipkay video.So I got into lasers by starting to DIY. Besides, DIYs are cool, they're almost always cheaper than store bought lasers. :D

I purchased a Z-bolt green , I managed to scratch the lens, then found this forum,signed up, asked a couple of newbie questions..... SenKat put me right..... 2 weeks later I had a DX greenie, 2 weeks after that I had built my first spirograph.

Since then :-
second spirograph
MXDL red burner
RGY loudspeaker projector
first blue ray
7 more blu rays
RGB 30k scanner
NIR box type burner
Pen type SenKat red burner
Red green and yellow pointer
and just started on a new mini RGB XY projector.....
......All in less than a year.

Learnt lots, spent more than I can afford, had a lot of fun along the way and find there is still more to learn......

Regards rog8811

airy52

I found this forum a few days ago, ordered my drives last night, and am building my own driver right now ;). Senkat my dads an ee too! maybe were secret brothers!