Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host of the year for 2010

jayrob

Hello Jay, I must say that solarforce is one sweet host! I feel we are very fortunate to have you on LPF. I have been trying to decide between a couple of different hosts you sell. Soon as I do I will pm you! Keep up your work, you are an asset to us all

:thanks:

You know I should change my entry to a build that I'm not selling though...

I mean if somebody wanted to enter a SolarForce that they built, I guess that's different...

I'm going to edit my last post...

Last edited:

No Jake you can't have her now as you allready voted for Jay's maglight, Tisk Tisk !

And you might notice that no where have I mentiond how much they sell for I'm only
entering the contest not trying to promote my stuff here or sell anything.
And I will stay with my original entry and not jump all over the place and
post many pictures of other items I've built.

Here's my host of the year it's a SH-032 with a tripple trit focus ring :D
2wp8o75.jpg
xnuref.jpg

where can i get that host ?? and i mean the girl? who is that and where is she.
she must be mine.

Last edited:
I would be most happy if you want to change your vote for my SH-032 build they are fine hosts and realy deserve it !
Where else you going to find a Stainless Steel laser :eg:
But sorry you can't have the girl she's taken !!!

:crackup:

Does that mean I can if I change my vote for you? :evil:

I would be most happy if you want to change your vote for my SH-032 build they are fine hosts and realy deserve it !
Where else you going to find a Stainless Steel laser :eg:

I was actually pondering building a titanium host for myself heh. But materials cost is kinda high for my limited budget at this point in time.

But sorry you can't have the girl she's taken !!!

Rats.. :cryyy: :whistle:

I just got some Zirconium tubing, it's lighter than titainium and I hope to be making a host with some it :)

I was actually pondering building a titanium host for myself heh. But materials cost is kinda high for my limited budget at this point in time.

Rats.. :cryyy: :whistle:

Another downside to titanium is that most wouldn't recognize it as such since machined, it looks pretty much the same as aluminum.

@Flaminpyro: Isn't zirconium the stuff that's used as a substitute for diamond, and is 9.5 on the mohs hardness scale, able to be scratched only by other zirconium and diamond? Woah... PM me when that's done, in case i don't see the thread. I'd love to see the finished product.

@Posts concerning the girl: Guys... seriously, resorting to bribery? As much as i like the prizes i wouldn't go that far...
Then again, i didn't expressly state that bribery was against the rules, so i guess i'll have to let it go ahead... lol...

Alright, seriously now. The parameters of the competition have changed and the stakes have been raised a little (thanks again Jayrob!). Check the first post for a full explanation, but basically I was trying to find someone to judge a shortlist for me, and so i (perhaps contraversially) PMed Jayrob to ask whether he'd be willing to withdraw his entry and instead put together the shortlist of 10, from which the poll will be composed. He declined, and instead offered a bunch of stuff as prizes. Accepting entries again until this Friday when (unless there's a really good reason why not to) the judging of the shortlist will begin.

I think i'd have to vote for DTR's RL-2088 Frankenstein as number one..

Though second would have to be mine. :p

100_0509.JPG

100_0524.JPG

I think i'll have to vote for this one. I love the side button and of course the copper grooving at the end.
This was a tough one....I would say a VERY close second is tied in my mind:

1.6W Ehgemus 14650 Pen Host W/Dual Flexdrives
and
Flaminpyro's: SH-032 with a tripple trit focus ring

Can't wait to see what 2011 will bring us all:beer:

jakeGT

I WILL CHANGE MY VOTE!!!!

but seriously who is she?

and if you would get moved in and build me the darn tank maybe my mind would change!

@Flaminpyro: Isn't zirconium the stuff that's used as a substitute for diamond, and is 9.5 on the mohs hardness scale, able to be scratched only by other zirconium and diamond?

Sorry to barge in and answer this even though it was directed at Flaminpyro. :D I figured I would correct a couple common misconceptions. You are thinking of cubic zirconia. zirconium is a pure element, it's a metal, close in color to titanium, not commonly used by itself, more commonly used in alloyed for it's various properties. cubic zirconia is an 8 on the moh's hardness scale. there IS a diamond simulate that's over 9. it's Moissonite. (9.25) nothing is 9.5 on the moh's scale, since there's too much of a gap between sapphire (9) and diamond (10) though it's not uncommon for a jeweler to sell moissonites claiming a 9.5 and playing up the hardness angle a lot. (moissonite is silicon carbide, one of the most common industrial abrasives. Any black colored sandpaper is made from this stuff so if you work with those abrasives then you can still scratch a moissonite)

As a side note, a titanium host would be quite cool. but I would HATE to be the one to try to make it. I've made a couple rings from ti 6/4 casts I had done. Each ring took about 15 hours of cleanup. =/ and that's for a simple ring. Machining would be faster, without casting issues, but I would still expect huge finishing times compared to other metals. Zirconium on the other hand, is a serious curiosity. Quite interested myself in seeing the finished result!

DTR

1.6W Ehgemus 14650 Pen Host W/Dual Flexdrives

The 14650 host would probably be at the top of my list for hosts to own.

But what other hosts have had so many firsts as the Frankenstein and such an influence on the direction of the hobby. It was definitely a milestone for the LPF this year and I will stick with it as my choice.

First to break 2W in a handheld
First to use more than 1.5A in a handheld
First to use a P3 lab style driver in a handheld
First to use as massive of a heatsink to tame the 445 beast in a handheld
First to use that great looking high quality host(I have been debating building another)
Started a trend to larger higher capacity batteries
Inspired many new builds.

This unit was the full package at the time.:beer:

If you guys vote for it maybe I can get reginak to do some pics with it.:eg:

Last edited:
^^^ well I must agree! This is the host that inspired, in a way, my bride of frankenstein.
and by no means did I wan't to put down your build....just my preference for a smaller, sleek looking build to bulk and sheer power:beer:

As always....all your builds are a great inspiration and help!:bowdown:

jayrob

DTR, I'd say yes... Epic build man!

Host of the year award for 2010!! :D

Submit your favourite one of your builds with links, pictures or videos and stick 'em in this thread. Next Friday I will collect up all the submissions and start a poll in another thread in which all the participants can advertise their laser as best they can using pictures, videos... whatever.

Edit 10\1\11: While on the lookout for some accepted laser-host expert to create a shortlist of 10 hosts from which the poll will be formed, I PMed Jayrob to ask whether he'd like to judge the shortlist (after withdrawing his entry), and he declined for fear of the competition seeming biassed. He then offered me this: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/short-review-priceangels-200mw-532nm-flashlight-style-star-projected-green-laser-57569.html and one of these: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-pocket-mini-build-kit-easy-assembly-22537.htmlhttp://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-pocket-mini-build-kit-easy-assembly-22537.html

That's right. You read it correctly. Now, if you win, you get all this!:
Jayrob's PriceAngels review unit
A basic Jayrob Pocket Mini Build Kit (host/aluminum heatsink/drill the pill)
A banner with your host on it
A printable rosette to stick on the host or put in your trophy cabinet to show to the grandchildren
And most importantly - The joy of having built the Host of the year for 2010, and all related bragging and\or advertising rights.

...I'm tempted to enter now because i want all that stuff! :yabbmad: Anyone else want to host the competition so I can enter? :crackup:
Nahh... my builds aren't in the same LEAGUE as the current participants. LPF and all the creativity and innovation within it, you'll never cease to impress us all.

Because of this new development entries are now being accepted until Friday the 17th. Really sorry if this negatively affects anyone at all, i'm assuming it's worth it though now that you know what the new prize is. I'm going to be spending time from now until next Friday trying to find a suitable person to judge the shortlist, which will be the judge's favourite 10 hosts. The hosts will then be put into a poll, along with one picture, one video and\or one link to a thread. Discussion of the hosts in the poll thread will be allowed although i'd prefer it if you didn't post simply in order to advertise your own host.

And lastly, thanks to all those entering. It's your work that, for me, keeps the hobby fun and gives me something to aspire to with my own builds.

I will in good faith ship the items I promised to the winner. But it should be noted that if the winner is out of the U.S., I will mark the package as a gift, with a description of 'LED Flashlight', and a low value of $15 dollars.

But since one item is a laser, I will not be responsible to replace the item if it gets snagged by customs. (unlikely, but possible)