Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host of the year for 2010

Here's my host of the year it's a SH-032 with a tripple trit focus ring :D
2wp8o75.jpg
xnuref.jpg

11lhowg.jpg
okbxa8.jpg

ifv1ub.jpg

rwjk8h.jpg

19qt8l.jpg

jkc951.jpg

6p9ik2.jpg

2rggxgz.jpg

npjuj7.jpg

Last edited:

@daguin: That was one of my choices i originally had up. It's the smallest host i've ever seen Chez take such an interest in... haha. I PMed StridAst and he seems to be interested in entering.

I definatly would like to enter my 10440 hosts. Sorry for the tardy response. (been on the busy side.) Is there a limit of 1 host per person, or could I enter my steampunk lasergun host too? :eg: (If so, I would like to add an updated picture tomarrow, as I've tweaked the finish on it, removing antiquing and leaving a partial marbled copper plating on the bronze handpiece)

dscn5755.jpg

(this is before I removed the black antiquing)

Last edited:
@Flaminpyro I love the look of that thing! The tritium is a great touch. Did you build it? If so, i'll enter it.

@StridAst: Wow! Steampunk laser gun!! Soooo cool!!! One of the first laser projects i thought up then decided against (...i do that a lot...) was a gun host for a laser. I decided against that one because I only knew of plastic gun hosts that i could get cheaply and didn't fancy working on a metal one.
Unfortunately, yes, it's 1 entry per person. I'm tempted to change that rule just to allow that host in, but that wouldn't be fair on everyone else. And it would mean there would be a huge amount to vote on. But plonk that picture up anyway, i want to see! And make it hiss and emit a jet of water vapour from the side when turned on... ooh! ooh! and put a working analogue clock on it somewhere!! ...lol. No harm in entering it if you haven't replied when the poll starts, unless you'd rather enter something different.
To get yours to win, you should probably PM all the females on the forum a link to the poll thread, it's bound to be their favourite ;p. Evolution says you should win the competition :).

Uhh... because a few issues need sorting out i'm postponing the starting of the poll for a few hours.

Jayrob, SolarForce or MagLite? If you haven't responded when the poll is going to begin, i'll be starting it with the SolarForce because that's the one i prefer :). (Now sorted, he's going with the SolarForce)
FlaminPyro, did you build that and post it to enter, or did you just find it and want to post it because it's cool? If you haven't responded when the poll is going to begin i'll look through some of your threads and if i can't work it out then it won't be included :(
FireMyLaser, you sure you want to enter that thing? lol
Aaaand... Wannaburn, if you want to enter, can you post your (single) entry in the thread please? If you haven't when the poll is going to begin i'll select my personal favourite from the pics you PMed me and enter that.
I'll also have a look around in attempt to decide what the prize should be... like i keep saying, don't expect something big and expensive... blah blah blahhh...

Once the poll's began, i'd like everyone to PM me the links for 1 picture, 1 video and\or 1 related thread you'd like me to put up on the main thread. Getting the links to me is your responsibility, I'll use common sense where i can, but i don't want to have to keep changing it around. I'd rather just check back from time to time to see how it's progressing.
Discussion of votes and the hosts in general in the thread will be allowed, and you're allowed to post your own pictures & videos. However, don't just post to advertise your entry or to argue that the one you voted for is best. Remember, it's just for fun!

Last edited:

jayrob

@Flaminpyro I love the look of that thing! The tritium is a great touch. Did you build it? If so, i'll enter it.

@StridAst: Wow! Steampunk laser gun!! Soooo cool!!! One of the first laser projects i thought up then decided against (...i do that a lot...) was a gun host for a laser. I decided against that one because I only knew of plastic gun hosts that i could get cheaply and didn't fancy working on a metal one.
Unfortunately, yes, it's 1 entry per person. I'm tempted to change that rule just to allow that host in, but that wouldn't be fair on everyone else. And it would mean there would be a huge amount to vote on. But plonk that picture up anyway, i want to see! And make it hiss and emit a jet of water vapour from the side when turned on... ooh! ooh! and put a working analogue clock on it somewhere!! ...lol.
To get yours to win, you should probably PM all the females on the forum a link to the poll thread, it's bound to be their favourite ;p. Evolution says you should win the competition :).

Uhh... because a few issues need sorting out i'm postponing the starting of the poll for a few hours.

Jayrob, SolarForce or MagLite? If you haven't responded when the poll is going to begin, i'll be starting it with the SolarForce because that's the one i prefer :).
FlaminPyro, did you build that and post it to enter, or did you just find it and want to post it because it's cool? If you haven't responded when the poll is going to begin i'll look through some of your threads and if i can't work it out then it won't be included :(
FireMyLaser, you sure you want to enter that thing? lol
Aaaand... Wannaburn, if you want to enter, can you post your (single) entry in the thread please? If you haven't when the poll is going to begin i'll select my personal favourite from the pics you PMed me and enter that.
I'll also have a look around in attempt to decide what the prize should be... like i keep saying, don't expect something big and expensive... blah blah blahhh...

Once the poll's began, i'd like everyone to PM me the links for 1 picture, 1 video and\or 1 related thread you'd like me to put up on the main thread. Getting the links to me is your responsibility, I'll use common sense where i can, but i don't want to have to keep changing it around. I'd rather just check back from time to time to see how it's progressing.
Discussion of votes and the hosts in general in the thread will be allowed, and you're allowed to post your own pictures & videos. However, don't just post to advertise your entry or to argue that the one you voted for is best. Remember, it's just for fun!

I guess if I can only mention one, then yes... SolarForce

But in your very first post you mention more than one. (unless it got edited) Which is why I thought I could mention more than one.

I'd mention my whole list!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/jayrob-build-kits-lenses-other-stuff-listed-here-44227.html

Yeah... i changed the rules partway through. Originally, everyone would nominate their favourite host (made by anyone) and the most nominated would win. The problem with that was everyone's favourite host is different, hardly any were getting more than one nomination. That's no fun! So i thought i'd make it into a poll from the nominations, but there were loads because everyone nominated someone else so it would have been a massive poll, so i finally decided on it being one build per person and the builder having to submit it.

I did think of letting the builders submit more than one of their builds, your multitude of masterpeices was part of the reason i didn't. It would make the decision too difficult

:drool::bowdown::thinking::confused::undecided: :banghead: <-- something like that...

Ash

I'll answer:
Yes it's a Flaminpyro build. AFAIK he's the only one that does tritium-inlays into the ez-focus adapter. :yh:

jayrob

Yeah... i changed the rules partway through. Originally, everyone would nominate their favourite host (made by anyone) and the most nominated would win. The problem with that was everyone's favourite host is different, hardly any were getting more than one nomination. That's no fun! So i thought i'd make it into a poll from the nominations, but there were loads because everyone nominated someone else so it would have been a massive poll, so i finally decided on it being one build per person and the builder having to submit it.

I did think of letting the builders submit more than one of their builds, your multitude of masterpeices was part of the reason i didn't. It would make the decision too difficult

:drool::bowdown::thinking::confused::undecided: :banghead: <-- something like that...

Well I guess the SolarForce then...

It has a really easy assembly, and a massive one piece heatsink design, as well as a high quality finish for the host. So in view of those points, it's one of my best kits. But the Maglite has those same points too! Probably not as popular though... (yet! :) )

As of now, not accepting any new entries (although, my paypal is always open ;) ) but anyone can clear up issues with existing entries.

I've encountered a little problem. The polls hosted on LPF have a maximum number of poll options of 10. I either need to find a free external poll-hosting server or a bunch of people need to withdraw their entries (which would suck) or the poll can't go ahead and we're going to need some other way of deciding on the host of the year.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

jakeGT

THIS is my personal favorite. ;)

101_2033.jpg

101_2025.jpg

but thats just me!

EDIT i dont know how I missed your post jayrob, but my 2d maglite is MY favorite personal host i have ever had/seen. I LOVE IT!

and you wanna talk about massive heatsink? talk about 82 grams... THAT YOU MADE!!!

Last edited:

anselm

...maximum number of poll options of 10...
I suppose if you wanted to make a big deal out of it, you could distribute contestants
among 2 groups (either arbitrarily or maybe create two "classes") for semifinal polls,
then take the top three of each and make a final poll.:thinking:

If you want to keep it simple, I'll withdraw my entry.;)

@anselm: I would need 4-5 people to withdraw their entries, i don't want to do that. My worry with making 2 polls and then narrowing it down and making a third is that i will then have posted 4 threads about this and people will be thoroughly fed up of it.

Alternatively, i could get some expert in the field to judge a shortlist of 10 then run the poll from that. That has the advantage of meaning the poll could be hosted here on LPF. But i'm a little unsure about that idea, because everyone's opinions are different.

@jakeGT: Yeah, i'm fond of the MagLite too. All Jayrob's hosts are awsome, but he had to choose one. And that one was the SolarForce.

@All: I'm thinking of making the prize a torch host ordered online shipped to your address for you to gut, and getting Chez to make a graphic saying "Host of the year for 2010!" for you to show off and, where applicable, put in the sales thread for the winning host. And maybe a printable rosette for you to show to your grandchildren one day :). Does that sound good to everyone?

So, I've read through the thread. It's certainly interesting to watch how a thread progresses over time, and as various people add or detract to the thread.

On a side not, is it just me, or do Jayrob's posts seem an awful like advertising for his own products? No offense to him, and his products are great, sure, but this thread's about a contest for the host of the year, as opposed to a place for promoting an up-and-coming host.

There's nothing wrong with entering your own host. But promoting your flashlight mods, as well as giving pricing information? I don't think that quite makes the cut.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh here, but that's the way I'm seeing it.

Jake GT, stop drooling, she's taken already.

goninan_bl00d, I don't mind him advertising big time, after all you gotta let people know you're selling a lot of stuff.
But is it just me (!) or is Jayrob always [ALWAYS!] Having "Nice!" "Sweet" and "Wow" in all his thread titles? :D

jayrob

Jake GT, stop drooling, she's taken already.

goninan_bl00d, I don't mind him advertising big time, after all you gotta let people know you're selling a lot of stuff.
But is it just me (!) or is Jayrob always [ALWAYS!] Having "Nice!" "Sweet" and "Wow" in all his thread titles? :D

I don't think any of them have 'wow' in the title...

THIS is my personal favorite.

101_2033.jpg

101_2025.jpg

but thats just me!

EDIT i dont know how I missed your post jayrob, but my 2d maglite is MY favorite personal host i have ever had/seen. I LOVE IT!

and you wanna talk about massive heatsink? talk about 82 grams... THAT YOU MADE!!!

Glad you like it! :)

Last edited: