Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Holy @#$%... $100 488nm diode!!

Re: Holy @#$%... $120 488nm diode!!

Did you know; if you overlap 589 and 488, you get a cool white?

The 488 is blue-green
The 589 is green-red

Combined makes white.

Just a random fun fact.

I think Adam initially told me about that. 473 also works. I may have tried with my 445 or 450 but don't remember the results if I did. I like combining different powers and wavelengths in something like quartz to see the results.

Sta

Re: GUIDE: Which company should I buy from?

The 488 is blue-green
The 589 is green-red

Combined makes white.

Just a random fun fact.

Yep! I did that earlier today. I would post pictures but I'm too tired right now :tired:

I have come to this forum practically religiously every day for the past year and a half.

BUT THE ONE WEEK I DECIDE TO TAKE A BREAK 488nm DIODES BECOME AFFORDABLE.

OF COURSE.

Now I'll have to get my MG Solid State 488 working to compare between gas, diode, and solid-state. Dammit guys, I need my money for other things! :p

Gabe

I have come to this forum practically religiously every day for the past year and a half.

BUT THE ONE WEEK I DECIDE TO TAKE A BREAK 488nm DIODES BECOME AFFORDABLE.

OF COURSE.

Now I'll have to get my MG Solid State 488 working to compare between gas, diode, and solid-state. Dammit guys, I need my money for other things! :p

Lmao, welcome back. You should take breaks more often, if this is what entails ;)
I feel you, This hobby soaks up so much money there's hardly any left for other things. Like other lasers.

Pman

I'll be in for one too J.
Hope things are well for you Dave. Nice to see you pop in and yes I noted that a pen build would be great for one of these. Where oh where have the driver builders gone? We seriously need boost drivers (especially small ones).
As a followup to what I mentioned in my previous post I did finish the 08E 455nm build including pics and I'll get that up today. Yes you can see the wavelength difference between the 450 and 462 and I also threw in my 07E 470 and 473+ builds and the pics show the wavelength differences easily. Just need a 488nm to add to the mix;)

DTR

Now they are saying several week lead time. If/when I do get them I will first put up a thread on them and then offer what is left for sale. They don't have any documentation other than the pre production datasheet that is pulled from Osram's site which is odd as they claim they are not through third party supplier and a production datasheet should have been included in the shipment as well as bin/qc docs which is what you usually see from shipments from Osram. I went ahead even though I have some reservations of things not adding up. Just hope I don't end up with some PLT5-450B binned diodes as noted some have hit in the 470nm range. Will update when I get more info.

Thanks DTR, skepticism is merited but I'm hoping this will pull through.
Maybe, just maybe, (I'm using my imagination here) they were smuggled out in a tight wadded bag by a disgruntled employee. :undecided:

Pman

I can't help being a skeptic on this one too. Bothers me that there is a lead time and no documentation. Is it a lead time because of how many you want or also on a single diode? I know you have been bitten before many times. I want one just like everyone else but I don't want to see you get burned. Do they have any other diodes up for sale that seem too good to be true?
I did just toss up that 08 455nm thread for anyone interested.

diachi

The 488 is blue-green
The 589 is green-red

Combined makes white.

Just a random fun fact.

488 and red (633nm from a HeNe works best with argon because beam specs) will give you white too - although not as nice a white as 488 and 589 I imagine. :beer:

Keep us posted DTR - hopefully it works out! :D

Now several weeks lead time? Is that enough to push you over the time limit to file a claim if you paid with PayPal?

Jordan, did you get the invoice yet?

Is this the laser god you're praying to?

:crackup:

Nope it's this one (leaded devloping the blue LED and laser diode)
800px-Professor_Shuji_Nakamura_%28Cropped%29.jpg

DIBS now on highest WL diode you are willing to part with. I said it. Single, double, triple, and quadruple dog dibs.

I'm buying my own anyway, but I like what you're saying here.

As for a UV diode...honestly, really, they aren't that exciting. It's basically a 405nm diode, but you only get the illumination it gives to dyed fabrics and GITD material. However the spot is near-invisible like IR.

It would be cool to have, but I can't justify spending $500-600 on a laser that I can't see, CO2 aside of course because reasons.

However. Using the 337nm output from a low-torr, vacuum sealed, N2 laser pumping a set of five servo-mounted front-surface mirrors going to five separate dye cells with different dyes, allowing me to select which portion of light from uv to blue, blue to green, green to orange, and orange to red, and red to IR? Then sending that output through a prism and then a spatial filter? In order to get broadband tunability from UV to IR? Yeah. That's something I'd be willing to play ball with.

*eye-balls schematic scribbled on a napkin at SELEM*

The very low visibility of 375nm is why I want one in a pointer so badly! I'd love to make a big set of organic dyes and use my invisible 375nm wand to light them up. Plus a laser that is bright on some surfaces and completely invisible on others would be pretty cool IMO.

Now that N2 pumped dye setup sounds pretty s3xy... at some point I MUST get a dye laser setup going. It would be really cool to build the N2 laser and synthesize the dyes in order to make it as close to scratch as possible.

As for the 488nm diodes...sucks to hear that the company is starting to act shady. :(

diachi

The very low visibility of 375nm is why I want one in a pointer so badly! I'd love to make a big set of organic dyes and use my invisible 375nm wand to light them up. Plus a laser that is bright on some surfaces and completely invisible on others would be pretty cool IMO.

Now that N2 pumped dye setup sounds pretty s3xy... at some point I MUST get a dye laser setup going. It would be really cool to build the N2 laser and synthesize the dyes in order to make it as close to scratch as possible.

There isn't much that UV doesn't cause to fluoresce at least a little in my experience with 325nm. :D

976-hecd-laser-001.jpg

^^^ 20-30mW 325nm on a sheet of regular printer paper.

Cool, warm, OR neutral depending on the ratio. Some pics I took back in 2011:

Through a grating to show it really is just two colors

Nice pictures - kinda cool that you can see the refraction of the 488nm beam through the mirror/PBS too - they're often too thin for that to really be all that noticeable.

So, did anyone check the price of the 375nm with them?